My thoughts after a couple of months

Feel free to get outside the box here.
suziko

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 pm

I agree with so much of what previous posters have stated. Before I joined TG I felt directionless. I had taken a few group classes and even done some one-on-one lessons. Also bought a couple of "Teach Yourself" style books, and was always printing out tab from the internet. My classes were good for fundamentals, but we weren't given enough songs that I actually wanted to play. So I got bored practicing really quickly. And the songs I'd print out from the internet were usually way too hard for me, or didn't provide enough information for me to work out how to even play it.

I was hesitant to join TG because I couldn't believe it could be any better. But I've never regretted it, and I've never practiced my guitar so much. I love practicing because I love playing different songs that I really like. I'm not saying I'll never take another lesson (group or individual), but I am saying I don't feel the need to do one any time soon.

tovo

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Well said Suzi. I reckon our collective presence and active participation on the site is evidence of its value to us, there's no doubt it's a terrific resource and Neil and his crew do a great job. I'm sure there are people who don't get what they want from it but I suspect that for reasons beyond Neil's control. No matter how good it is is won't be for everyone and hey, that's their choice I guess. There are plenty who find it invaluable, including me. I also really value the other members who contribute so much to learning through their posts, be it tips, answering questions on Neil's behalf, posting some excellent videos or just helping to create the wonderful relaxed and friendly vibe that this site has, which from previous experience I can say isn't easy to achieve. So to everyone...good on ya!

suziko

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Tovo- Exactly! I have to say that when I first joined, I thought that the whole "upload a video of yourself playing" aspect was the LEAST interesting part of the site and something I thought I'd never do. But now I think it's one of the best aspects of this site for a couple of reasons: 1. For me it has been really motivating to have a goal of practicing a song enough to the point where I'm comfortable letting others see how it sounds. It's also great to get feedback or even just encouragement from other members 2. I love seeing what others upload! This week, I was really inspired by Jayswett's version of Needle and the Damage Done. That wasn't even a song I was familiar with, but hearing (and seeing) his rendition inspired me to try my hand at it. It'll be a while before i'm ready to upload a video of me playing that, but it encouraged me to push myself even harder so that some day I'll hopefully master it.

goldleaf

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:12 pm

I have to agree with all of what has been posted about the TG site. I agree especially with suziko about the video's. I think TG takes the place of having someone to practice with and even though I haven't posted a video I am seriously thinking about it and it gives me extra motivation to learn songs well enough to post a vid of me playing. For me that is a motivation that is hard to find anywhere else. Also the teaching method that Neil uses has got me more interested in the theory and details I never would have had access to in a way I would care about. The easy access to the lessons anytime you want and at your own home and at a great price. TG has added a fun and entertaining option to my life that I didn't have before. Thanks Neil & TG team. Gary

mcfingers

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 am

I have to agree with everyone else. I have been playing guitar longer than Neil I think though not with nearly the dedication he has shown. I started in 1966 when I was 16 and I'm 59 now. Playing with friends is where I have made my greatest growth as a guitar player. But, when they aren't around this is the next best thing. I haven't had calluses this thick in a long, long time and the best part is I have been smiling the whole time I've been growing them.
It's the best $20 bucks I spend each month.

Thank you to the whole TG family. This is a great place to learn and have I learned a lot.
Steve

songman52

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 am

Hi Steve, same here. I started in my mid-20s and I'm 57 now. Just based on years I should be better! Anyway I've picked up lots of good stuff in the few months I've been on TG. Looking forward to more.

AndyT

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 am

If I practiced more, I'd very likely be a decent player by now. It's very difficult not to learn the way Neil breaks it down. But no matter how good the lesson, you still have to put in the time. I have improved in spite of myself though. Neil is really that good of a teacher.

heyjoe

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:30 am

All very good points people.

I'd like to add that since joining this site, I've given up using other sites, no need for them anymore, I get everything I need here.

Also, I've noticed I'm spending less time on this site too, which I'm happy about (sounds strange I know), but using this place has inspired me, I'm playing and practising more now than I ever have. The reason I'm on here less, I'm spending much more time with my guitar, my appetite for playing has gone through the roof- my wife says my playing has greatly improved, and I'm tackling areas of playing which I never thought I'd be able to.

Quite simply, this site has helped me become a better player, and is inspiring me to see how much better I can get. Goals which once seemed almost impossible to reach suddenly seem a lot easier to attain.

Thanks to Neil for showing me the way, to Matt and the TG guys for their relentless work on the site and to all you guys and girls on the forum for making it the positive, supportive community that it is.

Right, I'm off for my third practise session of the day, I think I have a new addiction!

Thanks

Joe

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 am

heyjoe wrote:
Also, I've noticed I'm spending less time on this site too, which I'm happy about (sounds strange I know), but using this place has inspired me, I'm playing and practising more now than I ever have. The reason I'm on here less, I'm spending much more time with my guitar, my appetite for playing has gone through the roof- my wife says my playing has greatly improved, and I'm tackling areas of playing which I never thought I'd be able to.

Quite simply, this site has helped me become a better player, and is inspiring me to see how much better I can get. Goals which once seemed almost impossible to reach suddenly seem a lot easier to attain.

Thanks to Neil for showing me the way, to Matt and the TG guys for their relentless work on the site and to all you guys and girls on the forum for making it the positive, supportive community that it is.

Right, I'm off for my third practise session of the day, I think I have a new addiction!

Thanks

Joe
Joe:

I agree big time. I have been on the site much less lately, but not because of anything other than I am spending more time with my guitar. I have to say that even though I am not working specifically on any Target songs currently, the songs I am working on have been helped tremendously by what I have learned here. Thanks Neil!

Love this place!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic