My thoughts after a couple of months

Feel free to get outside the box here.
bazzaspain

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 am

Well I've been a member of Target for a couple of months now and used the site before. I don't like to be too quick to comment, because it takes a while to really see the strengths and weaknesses. Looking at all of the stuff that's here it would still take quite a bit of time to assess everything as there's lots of it, but in terms of teaching I have to say it is really top class
Let me just define that though, I've been strumming a guitar for a number of years off and on, I've had some lessons on the way, I've had a few courses. I'm not of a mindset to sit down and practice scales day after day, I like to play for my own enjoyment and to sing along to tunes I love. I get bored practicing things like scales, I want to have fun.
Anyone who has tried to play guitar knows the pitfalls, there's no easy way to learn, you are never sure how much theory you need to know to make learning easier, how much simply practicing techniques, they need to be done, there are no shortcuts, but the route you take can be more pleasurable
I think this is the key to what Neil has done here, he has promvided the pleasurable "scenic" route to learning to play. Each target song is broken down, there's some theory, some mention of keys, scales, related chords, it's there but it's not force fed. There's rhythym, strumming, arpeggios, picking, pinching, sliding, hammering it's all there but embodied in the breakdown of the songs
It makes learning a pleasure which makes you play more, it also gives you a result and so a sense of achievement
One of the hardest things I found is trying to play like it sounds on a recording, understandable when there's normally a couple of guitars and a bass in there and that's another key thing, Neil provides you with songs playable on a single guitar that come as close to the tunes you hear as you can get
Lot's of other good stuff too, tips on techniques, staged learning with graded tunes and lessons, a forum where there seem to be lots of helpful people-and believe me you can learn things from everyone, so all in all an exceptionally good site.

willem

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm glad for you and agree with every word you write, lets play!!! goodluck to you...

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:22 pm

Well Said, I agree that Neil HAS certainly made this a fun place to learn the guitar. Anytime you can get the feeling of accomplishment in swift manner, it keeps your interest high. The more you learn, the more you want to learn. Kudos yet again to Neil and everyone behind the scenes.

MJ Image

BigBear

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:40 pm

If you are on the road to learning, then this is an excellent place to be. Most guitar players strive to better themselves, in either technique, style, speed, or what ever your need is. But I find the most important thing is to love to play, wether you are practicing or playing live in front of a crowd. One thing that everyone that plays with me all tell me the same thing, "I wish I enjoyed practicing as much as you do" But I tell them I am playing what I love. Singing is the same thing for me, I sing what i want to and play what I want to. Playing for me now is just total enjoyment and relaxation.
I hope all of you love to play, because it is such a joy.

PG56

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again: Neil is a master of his craft. The casual air and obvious joy in his teaching is deceptive. Behind it all is an ocean of well founded knowledge, experience and excellence. It's not often that someone has the balance of technical and human skill and the flair for teaching. It's the sign of the true master to make such excellent teaching seem so deceptively easy.

Paul, you are so right in what you say, fun is the FUNdamental here.

haoli25

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I agree
before I joined here I really had no direction. I could play a little but most of the songs I would try to learn were over my head. Here, thanks to his numbering system, I can work on songs that are my level and occasionally a level or 2 higher to push me.
I have countless DVDs and books but this was by far my best spent money.

Mike

AndyT

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:00 pm

If you love to play, then you can't help but get better. TG is the place to be.

BobR

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm

I couldn't agree more. The way Neil and his guys have the TG site set up makes it so I want to learn but still makes it a lot of fun. I really enjoy playing and look forward to logging in to see what's next.

Bob :cheer:

mdy120

Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:50 pm

I have only been a member for a few weeks but I was playing some CCR and other songs in just a few days - all the way through. For quite a long time I have played portions of a lot of songs but not very many completely.I'm an intermediate player and the site seems really geared for my level. After a couple of the song lessons it seemed as something just came together that I had been looking for and it seems the things I learned applied not only to the song lesson but quite a few other songs. My "sound" has improved also. It really is an awesome site and enough to keep one learning for quite a long time. Now if I can only get a fraction of the smoothness of Neil's playing. Thank you Neil.

BigBear

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:07 pm

mdy120 wrote:
I have only been a member for a few weeks ...

mdy120- We caught you!! Your first post! Big welcome to the program, we're very glad to have you with us. I don't want to hijack this thread but could you slide over to the Please Introduce Yourself thread, start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself, where you live, how old you are, your musical tastes and where you are on your guitar journey, ie. just picking up the guitar after not playing the last of 73 years or touring pro. That kind of stuff! We've all done it and it's painless.

Anyway, welcome and good luck!! Cheers! :cheer:

Note: All my fellow TARGET members, please don't welcome Mdy120 here but wait until he/ she starts a new thread! Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic