Amazing guitarist

Feel free to get outside the box here.
pineappletrain

Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:15 pm

This guy shurley knows how to play guitar, thats the kind of song you wanna be able to play after 30 years of practesing.

dennisg

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:26 pm

You're absolutely right. This guy is incredible. Sadly, I could practice that song for 30 years, and it still wouldn't sound like that.

- Dennis (still raining in Seattle)

mmmbldo

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Might sound better! :woohoo:

mrdano

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

AndyT

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:11 pm

You can do it Dennis. The guy barely looks 30 years old. If you practice it that long, it would be perfect.

nemastetaylor

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:28 am

Dennis makes a great point though. There isn't one of here who hasn't looked at a Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, Rik Emmett, Sungha Jung... song, and had doubts that we could ever play that. And you can't just pretend you don't have doubts. You'd just be lying to your self. But you can't let them have you either.

But doubts or not, I intend to play the songs I aspire to. As I see it, you can only choose what you focus on. I don't care about my doubts. They don't make me happy and they don't do me any good. But I do care about my intentions, so that's what I try to focus on. And I can't always do it, but I try not to think in terms of failure, or "even if I don't get there..."

And any motorcyclist or race car diver will tell you the way riders/drivers crash into the only telephone pole within 1000 yards is that they were focusing on what they didn't want to crash into. And they ended up at exactly the place they were looking... Even though that was the LAST place they wanted to be.

Just choose to focus on where you want to be, and I think you'll do fine. There's no guarantee you won't crash. But it's still the only way to get where you want to be. And maybe the best way to be happy where you're at too, until you get there...

dennisg

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:41 am

AndyT wrote:
You can do it Dennis. The guy barely looks 30 years old. If you practice it that long, it would be perfect.
Andy, if I practiced that long, I'd be very tired. Not to mention 88 years old. You'd have to place my guitar in a special mount, then wheel me up to it.

- Dennis

pineappletrain

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:59 pm

wilson951 wrote:
Dennis makes a great point though. There isn't one of here who hasn't looked at a Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, Rik Emmett, Sungha Jung... song, and had doubts that we could ever play that. And you can't just pretend you don't have doubts. You'd just be lying to your self. But you can't let them have you either.

But doubts or not, I intend to play the songs I aspire to. As I see it, you can only choose what you focus on. I don't care about my doubts. They don't make me happy and they don't do me any good. But I do care about my intentions, so that's what I try to focus on. And I can't always do it, but I try not to think in terms of failure, or "even if I don't get there..."

And any motorcyclist or race car diver will tell you the way riders/drivers crash into the only telephone pole within 1000 yards is that they were focusing on what they didn't want to crash into. And they ended up at exactly the place they were looking... Even though that was the LAST place they wanted to be.

Just choose to focus on where you want to be, and I think you'll do fine. There's no guarantee you won't crash. But it's still the only way to get where you want to be. And maybe the best way to be happy where you're at too, until you get there...
That is how you should go about life, whatever the goal you want to achieve, you wont get there believing that youl fail, the only way is to set your aim and do your best and learn from your mistakes :)

johnrfeeney

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm

very good - but we don't know how much formal training and education in music he has had

BobR

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Yes he is amazing, I would really love to play that way so I guess I better go and practice and practice and .....

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic