Whats up with the Advertisements?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
jim56

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:09 am

Can't believe my eyes, I was reading a post and when I came back to the main forum page a long column of rectangles invade the page. Did I miss an announcement that TG was going commercial? :(

willem

Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 am

I think they never sleep there and work on the site or are they hackers???

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:38 am

It looks like they're working on a template of some sort to sell advertising on the forums. It's another way for TG to keep the quality lessons coming for us, so I don't have a problem with the idea in general.

Having it in the forum makes sense, as it's accessible by both paid and free members. However, I would assume/hope it's not going to encroach on the TARGET side.

A suggestion-- take up one of the ad spaces with a new TARGET ad. And put more of a definition of what 'Target' is in it. 'Get your playing on TARGET- click here', or something like that.

haoli25

Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 am

What's next, 'product placements' in the TARGET lessons? Popups? Re-directs? "Cal Worthington and his dog Spot on TG" "Cal will stand on his head to get a new lesson out."

Bill Image

aitch

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 am

As a Target member, that's not something I really want to see. For non-paying members, OK.

heyjoe

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 am

I'm with Al on this, its all about revenue generation. If having adverts on the site means we continue with the level of teaching and support we receive from Neil, Matt and all the background guys, then that's cool.

From the first advert on here, it looks like it will be adverts for products which will benefit guitar players, so not only will the site be providing all of us with a first class learning resource, it'll also be taking care of any other guitar related needs we have.

We see adverts everywhere else is life, why should this site be any different? I trust Neil and Matt, they have the site's best interests at heart, I also realise this is a business- if there's no revenue stream, then the site would have to be drastically different.

Joe

dennisg

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 am

Not that I mind the ads, but I'm a little confused by them. Recently, in a response to another thread topic, Matt said that TG will take a dim view of anything that pulls eyes away from the site. Yet click-through ads do exactly that. Their whole purpose is to redirect people away from the site they're on to a site for the product or service they advertise.

Just an observation.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 am

dennisg wrote:
Not that I mind the ads, but I'm a little confused by them. Recently, in a response to another thread topic, Matt said that TG will take a dim view of anything that pulls eyes away from the site. Yet click-through ads do exactly that. Their whole purpose is to redirect people away from the site they're on to a site for the product or service they advertise.

Just an observation.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

..but obviously TG won't be putting ads up for competing sites. Your clicks on these ads might lead you away temporarily, but you'd still come back here for guitar instruction.

dennisg

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:48 am

Al, you're probably right about TG not putting up ads for competing sites. But Matt made the point that he considers anything that pulls eyes away from TG to be competition. Again, I don't mind the ads. In fact, the ads are part of the reason I buy guitar mags.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

dennisg

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 am

heyjoe wrote:
I'm with Al on this, its all about revenue generation. If having adverts on the site means we continue with the level of teaching and support we receive from Neil, Matt and all the background guys, then that's cool.

From the first advert on here, it looks like it will be adverts for products which will benefit guitar players, so not only will the site be providing all of us with a first class learning resource, it'll also be taking care of any other guitar related needs we have.

We see adverts everywhere else is life, why should this site be any different? I trust Neil and Matt, they have the site's best interests at heart, I also realise this is a business- if there's no revenue stream, then the site would have to be drastically different.

Joe
I wonder how long the quality instruction will continue at the same level after they start focusing on how to make more money with the sight? I'd rather learn from folks who love the music, love to play, and love to teach. But when the almighty greenback becomes a higher priority, then all that will vanish in the night, like... Well, like ME!

Neil is definitely one of the best instructors out there. But I'd still rather learn from less knowledgeable instructors who do what they do because they care about it. My guitar skills may progress a bit slower. But the Music will be better!

But should I change my mind and want to learn from Bernie Madoff, well, we know where to find him, now don't we???

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic