Christmas songs

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 am

Andy T

Why is the holiday labeled "Xmas" everywhere on the site except this thread

Andy, this thread is labeled like that because I did not even think about the spelling. I have a french background and spelling it Xmas does not comes to mind at first. The idea was to thank TG not to make a point about Christmas and I hope it will stay at that.

Sorry if I have offend anybody.

Marc

suziko

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 am

As someone who is interested in languages and linguistics, I'd respectfully like to remark that it is a common misconception that the abbreviation "Xmas" arose from a secular drive to "take the Christ out of Christmas." The "X" in "Xmas" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of Χριστος (the Greek word for Christ). The abbreviation of "Christ" to "X" has been used for the past 1,000 years. For anyone interested in reading more about this, I'd recommend the article in Wikipedia on this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

TGMatt

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am

Im going to have it changed to Holiday songs..

and we will leave all Religous for and against discussion for other forums from this point on all.

Thx

BRBbrb

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 am

Suzi; thanks for the info, interesting stuff! I use to get offended by the "X", but now I know it's ok :)

NKenny

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Suzi, that was very interesting. Xmas used to bother me somewhat. Cant wait to tell some people about that history. They always bring that point up about Xmas.

Great job to all at TG for Christmas, Xmas, Holiday songs what ever. Hope you all enjoy and have a wonderful holiday season.

Kenny

AndyT

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:53 pm

I never meant to start a huge discussion.
Thanks Suzi, I never heard that. I'll be sure and read that.

AndyT

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Thank you very much Suzi. Look for a PM.

Ok, Any more religious discussion should be held in PM's or email. It makes people nervous. LOL PLEASE help Matt by not keeping this going.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic