House of the Rising Son

Feel free to get outside the box here.
galsteien

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi

Im fiddling with this and have a question

Using the "tradional" way to pick the song ie hiting base note
strumming down and then playing 3 stings up, i have noticed the following

in the intro, first chord (Am) , the base is obv A string. So if u hit this then d,g,b stop and play e,b,g on the way up
to my noob musical ear that sounds right

K?

So then second chord(c)
now i no there aint no C string....hehe , the root string is?
ive been keeping it at A which SOUNDS right but not sure

So far so good,
Now third chord(D) er there aint enuff strings......
if u play D string as base and not A there are only 2 strings left

I mean when u play A and C chord there are 3 strings to play before stopping at low string (d,g,b) now if u start at (D) there is only
(g,b) to play before u get bottom E which u are sposed to play on the way up

Sooooo if anyone is still awake

Dou u break the rule and from D chord play (g,b,e)?
and then (e,b,g)

OR only (g,b) and still (e,b,g) on the way up

in other words play only 2 strings down instead of three

Any of this makes sense?

Mark

michelew

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Sounds like you have too many counts/measure if you're hitting a base note and then 6 more notes. Its 3/4 (or 6/8) time, you should only have 6 eighth notes total per measure.

But, galsteien, there's no question your post is a bit cryptic... and really, all of your questions about this song can surely be answered by going through the target lesson. You won't have to do any guessing any more...

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... rising-sun

good luck.

BigBear

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Mark- I think I follow your questions regarding this wonderful and "must-learn" song.

You are correct that the root of the Am chord is the open A string (5th).

The root of the C chord is the C played on the same A string fretted at the 3rd. You will also see people get fancy and play a "full" C chord (four fingers) and use the G on the low E string but ignore this for now.

The root of the D chord is the open D string (4th). And the root of the F chord is the F on the same 4th string (D string fretted 3rd).

The root of the E7 chord is the open E 6th string.

Okay, now back to your core question, No, you don't break the rule. Each measure has the exact same number of notes regardless of which bass note gets hit. If you hit the low E as the bass, you might play the 4,3,2,1,2,3 strings. If you play the D chord, you hit the D bass note on the 4th string and then play 3,2,1,2,3,4. But what you are missing is the bass note is a quarter note and all the rest are eighth notes. This means there is a little pause (an eighth note) after the bass note is struck before the rest of the arpeggio begins.

This song places a heavy emphasis on the first note of the arpeggios, the bass notes, so it's really important that you are very accurate with that first note or the song just won't sound right. And be careful not to sound too mechanical. The bass note timing is important but the rest of the chords aren't because this is a bluesy song so don't get hung up on metronome-like timing.

Hope I didn't confuse you further! Good luck and let us know how you are progressing!

Cheers! :cheer:

TGNesh

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:14 pm

BigBear wrote:
If you play the D chord, you hit the D bass note on the 4th string and then play 3,2,1,2,3,4.
That would be 7 beats in a 6 beat measure: D bass note + 6 8th notes. I would've said "... D bass note on the 4th string and then play 3,2,1,2,3." This would be a 4,3,2,1,2,3 measure, keeping you in 6/8 time.
But what you are missing is the bass note is a quarter note and all the rest are eighth notes. This means there is a little pause (an eighth note) after the bass note is struck before the rest of the arpeggio begins.
Interesting -- not how I've seen this played before, and I'm curious what your time signature is with 1 quarter note + 5 8th notes per measure, Bear... 7/8 I guess? I guess that makes your previous statement about how to play the D chord more consistent, but I'd love to hear this version -- its hard for me to picture.

I play it the same way as Neil shows it and how its tabbed in the TARGET lesson: they're all 8th notes. (No surprise -- its where I learned it!) :) Always interesting to hear how other folks approach songs.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I wonder now if what you play is 1 quarter note + 6 8th notes, so its really 4/4 time. I suspect I misunderstood.

wadestar

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:54 pm

This song is a classic Leadbelly tune first done on 12 string, but most of us know the Animals take on it. Good advice on here so no need to add anything just take these tips then play it from the soul.

BigBear

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:13 pm

fjvdb wrote:
BigBear wrote:
If you play the D chord, you hit the D bass note on the 4th string and then play 3,2,1,2,3,4.
That would be 7 beats in a 6 beat measure: D bass note + 6 8th notes. I would've said "... D bass note on the 4th string and then play 3,2,1,2,3." This would be a 4,3,2,1,2,3 measure, keeping you in 6/8 time.
But what you are missing is the bass note is a quarter note and all the rest are eighth notes. This means there is a little pause (an eighth note) after the bass note is struck before the rest of the arpeggio begins.
Interesting -- not how I've seen this played before, and I'm curious what your time signature is with 1 quarter note + 5 8th notes per measure, Bear... 7/8 I guess? I guess that makes your previous statement about how to play the D chord more consistent, but I'd love to hear this version -- its hard for me to picture.

I play it the same way as Neil shows it and how its tabbed in the TARGET lesson: they're all 8th notes. (No surprise -- its where I learned it!) :) Always interesting to hear how other folks approach songs.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I wonder now if what you play is 1 quarter note + 6 8th notes, so its really 4/4 time. I suspect I misunderstood.

I couldn't remember whether it is in 4/4 or 6/8 or even 3/4 time! I've seen it done so many ways! My point was to exaggerate the bass note by making it a 1/4 note or some other emphasis. If all the notes are the same weight it sounds really mechanical! Cheers! :cheer:

wiley

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 pm

One way I like this song is in 3/4 the first note an Eighth, then two Sixteenth notes then 4 Eighths notes.. You also need to let the first note (Root note) of each measure ring on, which between that and the change to Sixteenths gives the break away from the mechanical sound alluded to.

BigBear

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 am

Wow-- great info all 'round. Time to revisit this one.

Cheers.

RicksPick

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 am

Hi all

This is so interesting
Cos i cannot get away from the robotic sound
I'm sure most have seen my video
Now that's OK
Would love to know how to get a different sound
Any chance of a small video showing the difference
I will try your suggestions but am more of a visual type.

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic