Love the site but not a full fleged member

Feel free to get outside the box here.
frybaby

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Love the site, but can't join up because my computer bought in 1999, is to old and slow.... a real boat anchor, so I cant take advantage of all the bells and whistles. But I am saving for a new one, an HP laptop. But I may need to get tires for the vehichle

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Get a new laptop, sign up for TARGET, dump the vehicle and stick wheels on your old PC and skateboard around! Good luck frybaby!

RicksPick

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi fryaby

If your able to post here and you can watch youtube
Then there's no problem with this site
The main influence using this is your internet connection
Even dial up connection would suffice, but would be painful waiting for the videos to stream, but possible.
Maybe your pc needs streamlining but I would guess that's all

RicksPick

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

I agree with Rick. If you can post and watch Youtube, you should be fine. I would, however, invest in a high speed connection. trying to watch the videos with dial up would drive you insane....

MJ

haoli25

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Jack have you tried checking eBay or Craiglist for a computer? There are some pretty good deals to be found or do you just want a new computer? It would be great to have you with us in the TARGET program, but I do understand what its like when the budget won't budge.

Bill

AndyT

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:47 am

there are some things you can do to speed up your computer, but since you said it was vintage 1999, then yes, I agree. Its just too old. You should be able to find something much nicer on craigslist or ebaty for almost nothing. I know at least one PC dealer having Christmas sales right now. Brand new desktops for $199.

frybaby

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks Rick, Regarding my computer problems,
1. The Totally Guitar Logo ( Black block with white fonts saying Totaly Guitar) block some of the options avaiable on the links to the left, in particular, it completely covers the "Home" link.
2. The lesson videos stop and buffer too frequently.
3. I do not have the new links "Master Menue" and "Support". They show up here at work but not on the home computer.
Finally, not related to computer problems, but if you have the time, could you instruct me on how to join a group. I searched but could not figure out how to join.

quincy451

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Ok a couple of notes.
1) if you want a computer must check pricewatch.com.
I bought a quad core 2.4 gig intel on there over a year ago for
$250. Look for barebones computers...if you can be talked into a desktop. laptop...nice portability, but I would never use one for my sole computer. I have two...one junker and one nicer one. The nicer one actually has the lower specs and is cheaper. But the issue when they break they become difficult to fix.

2) what browser are you running. If your computer is circa 2000 you might be running windows 2000 with IE 6.0 on it or something like that.
That would most likely make the site come up funky.

As for the buffering of video.
1) what is your internet connection like. Is it cable modem or DSL. That should be fine...anything slower would be a bust.

2) your computer might just need to be reloaded. I would recommend windows xp.

Next question: How much memory is on this computer? You want at least a gig...2 would be better but this being a 2000 circa machine that might be wishful thinking.

dennisg

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 pm

frybaby,

To join a group, click on the Community menu > Groups > then find the group you want to join, noting that there are several pages of groups. When you find the one you're looking for, click on the Join Group button.

Rinse. Repeat.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

reiver

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:14 pm

frybaby wrote:
Thanks Rick, Regarding my computer problems,
1. The Totally Guitar Logo ( Black block with white fonts saying Totaly Guitar) block some of the options avaiable on the links to the left, in particular, it completely covers the "Home" link.
2. The lesson videos stop and buffer too frequently.
3. I do not have the new links "Master Menue" and "Support". They show up here at work but not on the home computer.
Finally, not related to computer problems, but if you have the time, could you instruct me on how to join a group. I searched but could not figure out how to join.
I'm familiar with these problems. In my case they are related to the version of browser that I was using. If I view on IE6 I get the problems that you describe. Have you tried upgrading IE to a newer version?

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic