Serious problem - With Browser

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:37 pm

I hope it's some sort of new junkware I accidentally picked up somewhere but I only get it when I'm on TG.

This box pops into the lower right corner of my browser and its advertising Adult Friend Finder, which is pretty much a sex service. Its disgusting and extremely offensive to me.

Like I said, I really hope its not a new TG sponsor. That would be really really bad.

TGMatt

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 pm

Andy

Seriously..

Do you really think TG would do that ??...or that I would allow that ??

I can Guarantee you we have no sponsorship with Adult friend finder..Or any sponsorships with anyone at all at present..

We show some banner ads..all but one are our products...and no popups etc etc

As I have repeatedly said..from day one..the only advertising we will ever show will be related to what we do here at TG...music related ..

That kind of advertising or anything like it wouldn't even pay much as the audience isn't matched..so , no mate , Its not us..

It sounds like your browser has somehow got something going on it..

If anyone else has something like this popup I can assure you it isnt us..I would delete your browser ..re-install, but only after you have run ad-aware or something like this, along with CC cleaner and perhaps registry mechanic..

Hope that helps Andy

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:18 am

Matt, I was pretty sure it was not TG. Just wanted to make sure. Plus, someone might have hacked the site. Worse things have happened.

It was flipping me out. I have totally removed my browser and reinstalled it now and the problem still remains. I'll be doing a much more drastic PC cleaning after Christmas. I'll be doing a complete reinstall of everything including Windows.

TGMatt

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 am

Nope we havent been hacked..

when You uninstall your browser (r u using firefox?), you need to run the other programs first...it will take you mayeb 30 mins to download the free trials from Downloads.com

I would recommend this to everyone as well...the issue is the browser very often is grabbing instructions on startup of the pc, because they have been buried deep ...so you need to run the three in my opinion, then restart , then fire it back up ...

Since we have 1000's of folk online at once , and Big Jim Neil and I are on all the time, we see continuity in issues...and we have had no-one else say a word on this..I have no issues and I have checked 3 machines 2 browsers so has Big Jim...

Do the above process and it will help your general running speed etc..you would be shocked to see how much registry mechanic will pick up,...then cc cleaner will be just nuts on top..

Anyone else out their who wants to have their machine running smoother would be advised to do it..

Dont forget to record your login and password if you do..as it will wipe cookies..

Cheers

Matt

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 am

Andy:

If you are running Firefox (I highly recommend this over IE). There are "Add-ons" or "Extensions" you can download that will help with those pesky pop-ups.... I know the exact pop-up you are talking about. I set a rule in "Add-Blocker Plus" and have not had that problem since. Was not on this site, but another one...... It is worth a try if you have not done so yet.....

MJ

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:56 pm

I do use Firefox and I have cleaned out the machine with maybe a dozen quality junkware killers. but I know that there is something there that allows this thing to enter in the first place and I'll find it. At this point I'm looking at all my Firefox add-ons for one that has been compromised.

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

For those of us into computers and stuff, here is the info on the pop up. Image

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Pop6 is the culprit. Now how did they get in...

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:56 pm

You should be able to create a rule to disallow the term pop6 and it should keep anything with that phrase out..... At least that is how I have done it in the past with other such pains in the rear.....

I have no doubt that you will prevail!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic