Song level

Feel free to get outside the box here.
leeson

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:42 pm

I no way am I trying to be critical, just a suggestion to improve the site. I think Brown-eyed girl is at least a level 4 song due to the difficult riffs (it's listed as a level 1). While Comes a Time is a level 1 or perhaps 2 due to the occasional bar cord (it's listed as a level 4). thanks.

Bill

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Any song with a barre chord is a level 3 or above.

johnrfeeney

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:51 pm

if i thought i was a level 3 or above because i could and do easily play barr chords - no there is so much more that goes into even being beyond level 1
i think if they have learned all the open and barr chords needed generally and can pick bass runs they have entered into the level 2 realm

the reason i am with TG is that that is where i was when i finally got so frustrated with no growth that i put the guitar up

if anything i wish there was much more structure taking the early level 2's into the area that very few guitarists ever go and definitely don't get there by themselves (the rare exceptions are always remarkable)

all said in trepidation - :dry:

TGMatt

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Neil and I actually discussed this yesterday..

Their is difficulty here

and it is just a guide..

Finger picking songs rank differently to campfire type strumming etc..

We may come up with two systems later on but for now it is a guide..

I will add one comment..for anyone "stuck" between level 2 and on..go to the Acoustic Genius series and the new Rhythm guitarist..and pick the basic stuff and work their..instead of on a song..then come back to the songs that are one notch up...I promise you , this will make a huge difference..

Hope that helps some

Cheers

Matt

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Lets see if I remember this....

Level 1 = Brand new players. easy strumming and chords.
Level 2 = All open chords and more complex strumming.
Level 3 = Intro barre chords and more complex strumming.
Level 4 = Beginning bass lines and runs with barre chords.

Level 1 and 2 are beginners
Level 3 and 4 are advanced beginners, beginning intermediate
Level 5 and 6 are intermediate
Level 7 and 8 are advanced intermediate
Level 9 and above are for advanced players.

You may be able to play a song in any level, but that does not change its rating in the overall scheme of things TG. It's given a particular rating because of what you learn from it, not necessarily how difficult it is.

AndyT

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Shame on Matt for posting while I'm typing. LOL

TGMatt

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Thx Andy

You hit the nail on the head..

Its not the difficulty of the song...its how it fits into the learning structure..

We will revisit this later..

dennisg

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Matt,

Without trying to complicate things, consider assigning every song two ratings -- one for left hand and one for right. For example, the song I uploaded today, "For no one," might get a 2/3 rating. There's nothing difficult about what the left hand does; the two barre chords earned it a 2. The right hand has a few interesting things to do, including a couple of arpeggios. That earned it a 3.

You can agree or disagree on whether that song should get the rating I gave it, but I think separating the two hands in the rating system makes sense.

- Dennis

dennisg

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Matt,

We cross-posted. I'm not sure I understand the logic of songs not being rated on difficulty, but on some kind of learning criterion. When I go looking for songs, my first criterion is finding a song I know, then a song I like, then a song that stretches my current abilities. I rate myself, then look to a song's rating to tell me how its difficulty fits with my skill level. Seeing a song rated 3 doesn't really tell me what learning experience I'm going to get out of it, because there are dozens of different reasons the song could be rated a 3. I just want to know that when Neil applies as much objective criteria to the song as is humanly possible, how hard it's going to be for me to play.

- Dennis

TGMatt

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 pm

It is a combination of the song..and its level..based on the scale that Andy gracefully posted..no way to separate left and right hands...

Use the above to check it..

If you want to revisit it, you can click the explanation on the menu key..

As I said..for now this will remain our scale until we (a) have time to revisit (b) can make it simple and still fit Neils idea of where something fits..it is a guide only.

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic