When the site gets redesigned ...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dennisg

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Matt, Jim, etc.

In the latest live feed, you allude to the fact that the site is going to be redesigned after the new year. Here are a few fixes I'd love to see:

1. Right now, if I get a PM, I have no way of knowing it's come in unless I happen to go to My Profile page. Sometimes hours can go by in between my visits to that page. It would be nice if, no matter where I am on the site, I get notified when a new PM comes in.

2. The same issue applies to Groups. I subscribe to them, yet have no idea when one of them gets updated, so I have to check them every day. It'd be great to get a notification when one of my subscribed Groups gets updated by someone.

3. It makes no sense for the songs from bands like The Beatles, The Moody Blues, and The Rolling Stones to be alphabetized under the letter T. I don't expect them to be there, and I frequently have to go hunting for them. Either list them as "Beatles, The", drop the "The" altogether, or smarten up the software. Even iTunes knows to ignore the first word of band names that begin with "The."

I have no major issues because this site has gotten 98 percent of it right from the start. The above suggestions are fairly trivial, but would aid efficiency when using the site. Thanks in advance for your consideration of these suggestions.

- Dennis

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Another trivial little bit would be to add the option to send avPM to more than one person at a time. As it sits now if I want to send a message to several of my friends, I have to copy and paste several times. Would be nice to just be able to add more recipients...

Holiday wish list.

Thanks!

MJ

Catman

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:02 am

I second Dennis and MJ's requests. I think I mentioned Dennis' points 1 and 2 on a different thread some time back.

David

johnrfeeney

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am

this one may sound strange - but would like to see a map of the world with dots on it - that when clicked would show the people who are from there
sort of like having a world map with the cases of H1N1A or something like that

it would be like a red dot on california and when it was clicked it would show the members from that state

eagle670

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Now that would be cool! It would be great to see where all of the TG Members are located. You got my vote.

d_dog

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm

I hadn't heard that the site was getting a redesign, nice. I don't have any really big problems with the site, however, I do agree with dennisg on his points. I would suspect that the reasons for a re-build are more website management / administration related than design. There is a ton of great content on here and finding the right navigation and organizational layout elements is a daunting task I'm sure. I personally have always felt that some combination of top and left side navigation is a solid way to go when you have so much content broken into so many categories. I would note also that some more attention be paid to notification of certain elements, i.e. pop-up badges of PM's and or comments, etc. or more clearly visible bell thingy. Looking forward to seeing what is in store!

hasben

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I would like the "holiday" tunes to be grouped together and moved downward, or in a separate window or whatever, until next holiday season. I'm not a hum bug or anything, but they had their (Matt: there) season. :)

Fred Hasben

d_dog

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I didn't see a specific thread for comments on these most recent subtle site changes that are taking place. So I'll just use this thread. I haven't necessarily seen anything broken or not working, I would just rather point out a new inconvenience. It has to do with the new navigation bar at the top. I find it annoying now that the drop down boxes that you mouse over get in the way of what is below it. Most commonly for me, it's the "Community" button. I find I have to now maneuver my mouse around from the side to click on the "Forum" button. I like drop downs, with this much content I can hardly see living without them, but they don't seem to be ideal in this case, in this form. I wish I had an answer, I'm just pointing out my opinion for now. It is however, very sweet, that it's shaping up like a guitar neck though. Maybe for now, at the least, keeping the buttons that have drop downs at the bottom of the rows might help.
I hate to complain, I don't intend it that way, I really like what you guys do and I understand all that you're up against, just my thoughts! Cheers!

TGMatt

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 pm

already happening just didn't get to it yet .. but it is exactly going to be that way

AndyT

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:02 am

I also would prefer the TOP and Left side navigation options. Have only the main 3 or 4 items in the top and they breakout into the left side navigation.

Also, As a Target Member, why do I need to see the Ads for the streaming packages and such? I already have them as part of my membership. I can understand having an ad for GP, it's not covered under the TG membership, but the rest are using up my screen space needlessly. And it would be a selling point 'NO ADS' for Target members.

And the 'toolbox'. Tuner, Metronome, Chord charts, Basic Maint info, Tip and Tricks... all the little extra goodies that a guitar player needs should be localized in one area of the site. Hey, you could call it the 'Toolbox' LOL

Of course, all the things Dennis mentioned as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic