The best acoustic guitar top is...

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Chasplaya

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:29 pm

haoli25 wrote:
No respect for Maton? Image
Ok to add a bit of balance and unbiased opinion here is the Maton page on timbers. Say much the same as Cole Clark.. funny that since Brad Clark was the CEO for Maton for many years.

http://www.maton.com.au/main/timbers.html

tovo

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Actually clicked on Chas' propaganda link ;) and found it pretty interesting. I didn't realise that the grading system on spruce (A through to AAA) only refers to the consistency of the grain rather than the quality of tone. You learn something everyday...

Thanks Chas. Never would have looked at the Cole Clark page otherwise! :)

TGMatt

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:34 pm

also to consider is finished or unfinished..A huge diffrence can be had here...

And is the whole unit the same piece of wood, is it peices, what is the shape etc etc etc...

And going back to it being played over time..like a great wine the right wood can transform over time...

aitch

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Can't forget about mahogany. Peter Mulvey makes his sound soooooo good.

Jimmer

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:05 am

WOW! Thanks for the introduction to Mr. Mulvey... THAT'S the style of guitar playing the I most admire. My nylon strung cedar top is very very mellow sounding - and I hardly ever amp it. I love the delicate, mellow sound.

michelew

Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:38 am

THanks everyone. I've found this thread really interesting - the links are especially useful Stuart and Chas.

Michele

galsteien

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:39 am

I have acoustic guitars made with several different tops. My Zager is solid Cedar and My Ej-160 is Solid spruce. The cedar top Zager is a more sweet, mellow sound while the Ej-160 has more of a loud booming sound. I have quilted top guitars made with spruce. Also the finish used affects sound as well. All of my guitars have different sound qualities.

MarkM

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:44 am

I find this link very helpful when looking at the different type of woods. Be it back and side or top and the combinations that you may or may not get when put together. No one mentioned this yet but your choice of wood combination may or may not work depending on what type/style player you are. Then you get into all the body types. This can go on and on and on................Hope the link is helpful.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/

mmmbldo

Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35 pm

For Matt...
If you are looking for a vintage Martin, here's something you might want to research. I read somewhere that Martin went through a period (not sure if 60's or 70's) when they changed some construction features,apparently not for the better and later corrected the problem. I'm not sure what the changes were, how they affected sound, or how they impacted values. Sorry I'm so hazy on this. Like I said, it might just be worth some research on the time periods in question, since you could be investing a good bit of money.

wadestar

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:34 pm

:unsure: Unsure on a direct answer, but a lot of things to think about before buying a guitar. Hope this forum has helped.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic