Hit a snag using Firefox to follow TARGET lessons:HELP needed.

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Chasplaya

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi Chris, I've tried most of the suggestions here now with little success. I thought I had it fixed after I downloaded the latest Shockwave Flash player, I tried moving from one of the Target vids to the pdf and then back it worked a couple of times then went back to the silly busines of the blank screen !! Frustrating... I don't get the issues with IE but its so slow especially since NZ has slow narrowband!! Short of dumping everything and starting again not sure where to go now. And no guarantee by total dump and restart its going to work either, i've dumped Firefox and reinstalled but nope that didn't make the slightest bit of difference. I've emailed Firefox with the issue so maybe they can help.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:59 pm

First off Chas, Happy New 2010 mate! Good on ya and wish you and the family all the best!
Yeah, it really sucks! Let's hope we get some change out of Mozilla on this.

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:28 pm

Sorry to hear about the continued bad bad news guys. I will keep my eye open for any of these problems on my end with Firefox. Hopefully I won't see them though. Mozilla is usually pretty good a tech support (at least in my experiences), so hopefully they can give you some further assistance.

MJ

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Chris, even if you change browser, I doubt that it will be trouble free as eventually there will be a snag and you will eventually try them all. If something used to work and now it does not, something did not keep up with it. Because I do a lot of trouble shooting with computers (and I am no expert) and the software we make, I find that rarely the original program is faulty. There is always some incompatibility with the old software and new updates or new software with not enough update or something with the OS. I had similar problem with both IE and Firefox, but not anymore.

You have to take the bull by the horns , uninstall your browsers, look in program files and also in C: users/appdata/Roaming/Microssoft(For the IE)and Mozilla for Firefox) and delete the IE and Firefox folders that are supposed to be empty but are not always, clear all your temp files, cookies, passwords. I have downloaded the free CCleaner software to do this temp file removal automatically.

Empty your recycle bin,update with the most recent patches your OS, download a fresh browser, update the browser with all the patches and add-ons that the update will ask.

Reboot whenever you are ask to do it. Do only one browser at the time and make sure it works before doing another one. I would be very surprise that you will still have any problems witha fresh start.

But this is only what I would do.

Marc

reiver

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Chris, even if you change browser, I doubt that it will be trouble free as eventually there will be a snag and you will eventually try them all. If something used to work and now it does not, something did not keep up with it. Because I do a lot of trouble shooting with computers (and I am no expert) and the software we make, I find that rarely the original program is faulty. There is always some incompatibility with the old software and new updates or new software with not enough update or something with the OS. I had similar problem with both IE and Firefox, but not anymore.

You have to take the bull by the horns , uninstall your browsers, look in program files and also in C: users/appdata/Roaming/Microssoft(For the IE)and Mozilla for Firefox) and delete the IE and Firefox folders that are supposed to be empty but are not always, clear all your temp files, cookies, passwords. I have downloaded the free CCleaner software to do this temp file removal automatically.

Empty your recycle bin,update with the most recent patches your OS, download a fresh browser, update the browser with all the patches and add-ons that the update will ask.

Reboot whenever you are ask to do it. Do only one browser at the time and make sure it works before doing another one. I would be very surprise that you will still have any problems witha fresh start.

Marc
That does sound better than my level of expertise - switch it off and on again :laugh:

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

reiver wrote:
Lavallee wrote:

Marc
That does sound better than my level of expertise - switch it off and on again :laugh:
This is what I do also when the above does not works ;)
Marc

Lavallee

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:56 pm

I've fixed this problem on 5 different PCs. Just let me know which part of the instructions are unclear and I'll help you.

AndyT

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:43 pm

It's starting to sound like a registry issue.

Try a good registry cleaner and see if that helps. It sure won't hurt.

michelew

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:54 am

duplicate post

michelew

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 am

Registry cleaners don't really do anything, and really don't work for this particular issue. As a matter of fact, the latest thinking is that registry cleaners actually do hurt more than help. I'll try to find you the link to the research.

If you don't run the adobe cmd file reference in the link I sent, you won't be able to properly uninstall the adobe software. If you can't do that, it won't reinstall properly and the problem will remain.

Good luck to you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic