Hit a snag using Firefox to follow TARGET lessons:HELP needed.

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah, I've heard some of the arguments against registry cleaners. I'll stick with my own personal experience of over 20 years that shows me otherwise. EDIT: Meaningful registries did not show up until Win98 so it's not quite 20 years on this particular problem, but you get the idea...)

Before becoming a Minister, I owned a computer company for 24 years. Of course that does not make me an expert, but I've seen and fixed a computer or two in my life.

I've seen nothing but good advice on this thread and I'm not really wanting to jump in and give specific 'Do this and Don't do that' kind of directions because I am not sitting there looking at the machine. Frankly, there are simply too many variables to fully and correctly diagnose a problem like this 'off the cuff'.

A service I used to offer my clients (and still do for a few close friends) is to log into their machine and help them fix the problem. It's the easiest and fastest way to see whats really going on.

There are some really useful freebies out there that can help solve many of the issues you have and slight modifications to the way you use your machine will solve many more.

"Give a man a fish..."

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:23 am

UPDATE
Well it's half a day into the new year and I moved over reluctantly to Explorer so that I could spend time on some TARGET lessons today after a week or two away from the lessons. Well, I can view all perts of the lessons now and can change windows without stuff vanishing before my eyes but the flow player just doesn't work right. Buffeting seems to disappear if I slide back and it starts all over again. Result is I can't play a single lesson part through properly, it's full of jerks and stops and sound moving ahead of the picture. So it's a total meltdown as far as TARGET is concerned for me at the moment.

I'm using my Dell Inspiron 1525 and Vista for a year now with zero problems and issues until now. Was really happy with Firefox... until now, never liked Explorer and it seems to have it's own problems too. I don't get how I arrive here. I suspect it has to do with updates which just seem to rain in here automatically every few days. I've always been of the opinion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! so I'm not so happy about too many updates and I recon that's where the problem must lie.

It seems to be only me and Chas with this problem so far. Maybe others too?

Wan, Andy, Al and Marc have come in with detailed suggestions. Chas has tried some and had no joy. I try following the instructions but end up a blind ally as at every turn I can lose my way not having detailed computer knowledge to enable me to make intuitive decisions. At the moment, it's not something the average compute user can solve on his own.

aitch

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:40 am

It's not just you. I'm having problems with the Flow player too. I gave up trying to view any videos last night. Any of the old videos that DON'T use the Flow player work great. Any videos in the Musical Genius sections, Chords, and Strumming work great, but everything else has become unwatchable for me.

I've tried disabling all scripts/addons in Mozilla, tried watching in IE8; nothing seems to change the results.

About every 10-15 seconds, I get 10-15 seconds of this

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 am

Ok, since aitch said he's also having problems, I ran some tests.

I chose Pigs on the Wing since it was the last video posted to the Target side.

Net traffic is up almost 10 times its normal level. (that has a huge effect on how well the vid streams)

The video itself is clear and smooth.

It's possible that TG is hitting a bandwidth wall. I have no idea what kind of server setup they use and they might simply have run out of bandwidth for the moment. They might also need either a dedicated or a more robust server. All possibilities.

It took me about 5 minutes to download about 10 mins worth of video. That tells me that the server is not feeding it to me very fast which makes me wonder how many TG members are actually online trying to get vids right now?

Firefox and IE both working fine. (As fine as IE ever works).

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 am

Went back and tried all the same tests in Google Chrome. Same results.

It seems that TG is having VIDEO server issues. Not sure what kind or why, but there it is. The forum server seems to be dishing it out just fine.

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:16 am

While you folks are thinking about it, run these tests:

Test 1
http://www.java.com/en/download/install ... =jre&try=1

Test 2
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:28 am

Java tests are all ok, Andy, thanks. Checked Flash and it was ok too.

On IE8 I'm getting same as H. On Firefox I get this on the Genious series: Image

Lavallee

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 am

Chris it must be related to the site for sure as we all have it, we just have to be patient until they fix it. As I am writing this it is only 7h30 on New Year's day in California, we should have to give them a chance.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 am

Ok Marc, they've got until breakfast! ;-)

The Mozilla issue seems like it's on my computer but the Explorer issue does seem more site related... but I know nothing about these things....

So, am I happier now that others share my woes? Nah, not really ;-)

Sorry if the TG boys have their New Year hangover interrupted for this stuff, they have given us one hell of a year in 2009 and they deserve a rest.

TGMatt

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey guys..

So...we changed video players on some stuff, and thats where we had a little slow down with a combination of the total traffic happening, more than any other day of the year..we have dedicated servers and amazon, so ..not an issue, and we have made some adjustments this morning..should all be good..

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic