Strum Patterns

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am

Marc,

Yeah, that's true. But how many guitar players actually read standard notation? And how many want to learn to read it?

The advantage of this is you only have to read the pattern from the top of the music quickly and then you're off!

And its based on the way Neil (and other guitar teachers) teach strumming. I understand what your saying, but I think this is a great solution to a very common problem.

No offense intended.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 am

Hey Andy
Your idea makes a lot of sense and is easy to follow. Good idea!
I have a real problem understanding the verbal explanation of the strum pattern on Neil's videos, even though I can strum pretty well. I need to listen to the rhythm and copy the "feel". The down, down, up, down up verbal instruction don't register with me well as I'm obviously someone who has to pick up the "feel" of the pattern through the movement needed. I guess I'm so used to jumping over that step intellectually and just putting it into movement according to the sound. I notice that reading the instruction is also easier for me than taking on the verbal instruction. Your system seems easier to me. Any one who doesn't read music could find it a good help. Thanks for sharing!

hasben

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 am

Very good idea Andy! If left to myself, I can generally start out ok on a song, but my strumming rapidly devolves into a sort of calypso/reggae bunch of noise that makes sense only to me. Heck, I've been know to take a Hank Williams tune and turn it into something only a Whaler could appreciate. So something along the line you are suggesting would be very helpfull to me, and my guess is, many others here.

Fred

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 am

hasben wrote:
[quoteIf left to myself, I can generally start out ok on a song, but my strumming rapidly devolves into a sort of calypso/reggae bunch of noise that makes sense only to me.

Fred[/quote]

LOL! I can soooooo relate to that problem...... :woohoo:

That is what I love about the way Neil lays out his chord charts. If you know the measures, and the number of beats each chord gets, you can apply a "Strum Pattern" that you like and then keep in time. It may not always be the precise pattern from the original, but that is o.k. for me on many songs.

MJ

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am

AndyT wrote:
If anyone wants to submit some patterns please use the system I attached above and I'll be happy to compile them into lists.
Andy:

Would you by any chance have a sample of a song that you have done this way? I would be very interested in seeing this in action.

I have started to compile a few songs that I have recently transcribed. It would be interesting to see some of them written up this way, but I am not familiar enough with your format.

I just have my chords laid out in measures and broken down into things like "Intro", "Verse", "Chorus, and "Outro"...... I will usually list what key the song is in, and what time signature it uses, but the strum pattern is left to the user.

Thanks,

MJ

rcsnydley

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Andy here is a sheet of wish you were here ( I hope it will show up)I am working on taken from GP. The standard notation have to show the rhythm other wise there would be no need for time signature. In this sheet you will see the standard notation, below the tab, then lower the graphic representation of the rhythm (you will notice it is the same as the standard notation) and just below is the direction for strumming.

So once you can decipher the notation, you have the rhythm. You do not need to know the actual notes(you have them in the tab which are most of the time accurate ) on the standard notation but if you learn how quarter notes, or a group of sixteenth notes, or triplets are strummed or picked then you have your strumming rhythm.

Marc Image
Marc - It appears as though this is the picking part for the intro to the song as you are picking individual notes. I would be interested in seeing it further into the song to see if they are giving you "strumming" patterns or just simply "picking" for the melody notes.

rcsnydley

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hey Andy
Your idea makes a lot of sense and is easy to follow. Good idea!
I have a real problem understanding the verbal explanation of the strum pattern on Neil's videos, even though I can strum pretty well. I need to listen to the rhythm and copy the "feel". The down, down, up, down up verbal instruction don't register with me well as I'm obviously someone who has to pick up the "feel" of the pattern through the movement needed. I guess I'm so used to jumping over that step intellectually and just putting it into movement according to the sound. I notice that reading the instruction is also easier for me than taking on the verbal instruction. Your system seems easier to me. Any one who doesn't read music could find it a good help. Thanks for sharing!
First off, great idea Andy, I'm sure it will be a great help to most of us.

Secondly, I agree with you Chris, I work from feel also and find it much easier to get the feel of the rhythm than to try to get the down, down, up, down.

I need to work on getting my counting down better as it makes it easier to play with other people. Looking forward to seeing more on this as it develops.

dekotaj

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Great job Andy.It sure would help me.So Ill print off a copy and keep it handy.

Kevin

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Here is one that I put a pattern to and it sounds SO much better than when I played it without. This is the way I write mine out because I have singers using them as well. Chord/Lyric sheets with a pattern.

If you practice the pattern for a minute or so to get it down, you will be able to play the song easily. One time thru the pattern for each chord shown.

You can also practice it with a metronome as the speed is indicated also. Set your metronome for the quarter note speed and practice the pattern. Once you have that, just add the chords and you have the song.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... r_Name.doc

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

The great thing about this system is it gets you playing a song very quickly and also helps you improve the rest of your playing by not having to concentrate on patterns or timing. You can work on your picking, or focused strumming (only certain strings) or anything else. I think it's a great thing to give a student. It gives them confidence and lets them play faster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic