Strum Patterns

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

In the video I posted before, I was having trouble with my strumming because I did not have a strum pattern so I was inventing as I went along.

The other day I sat down and spent a couple of hours figuring out a strum pattern for that song. Once I had it, the song became very easy for me. I knew right when the changes were coming, I was ready for them, I did not need to work so hard to keep the feel of the song. It really made all the difference in the world.

Can we build a library of strum patterns and a list of songs each one applies to? I'm working my strum patterns now based on Neil's teaching in the acoustic genius series, but he really leaves us to our own devices in figuring out the patterns. It would be nice if we have a selection of maybe 50 patterns with the songs they go to.

I also created a notation system for strum patterns. I couldn't really find one anywhere that made any sense so I made one. I've attached it here. I made it to be one of the intro pages on my music book.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... s_book.doc

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Andy:

You make a great point here! I find a song much more difficult if I cannot figure out the strum pattern. Once I do get it, the changes and the feeling just come so much easier. Love the idea of a collection of patterns to reference.....

Pizza Point my friend!

MJ

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:46 pm

If anyone wants to submit some patterns please use the system I attached above and I'll be happy to compile them into lists.

NKenny

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Great Idea Andy, I have a lot of problems with strumming.

Kenny

BobR

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Andy,

It looks real good.

Great job.

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 pm

I think it would be useful to have a lesson on how to read strumming patterns from standard notation so that there is no pattern to remember.

Marc

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 am

There is no way to read it from Standard notation as far as I can recall.

Lavallee

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 am

Andy here is a sheet of wish you were here ( I hope it will show up)I am working on taken from GP. The standard notation have to show the rhythm other wise there would be no need for time signature. In this sheet you will see the standard notation, below the tab, then lower the graphic representation of the rhythm (you will notice it is the same as the standard notation) and just below is the direction for strumming.

So once you can decipher the notation, you have the rhythm. You do not need to know the actual notes(you have them in the tab which are most of the time accurate ) on the standard notation but if you learn how quarter notes, or a group of sixteenth notes, or triplets are strummed or picked then you have your strumming rhythm.

Marc Image

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 am

Marc,

As far as I know, those strum marks are not part of standard notation.

Yeah, You are right, you can get it if it has been added to the file already. As far as I know, GP does not interpret for you and insert the strums.

But I'm also looking at all the thousands of songs on the net where all you get is a chord sheet or chord and lyric sheet. Those don't have strum patterns included with them and it would help a great deal for those of us still working on that aspect of playing.

It took me 4 hours to figure out the pattern for one song. I don't have the kind of time it would take to figure out all the songs I have in my books. And that time could be better spent refining an existing pattern that fits.

Lavallee

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 am

Andy, what I wanted to show is that the strumming patterns under the tabs are only for me to learn, but you will notice that the standard notation is the same as the strumming patterns. So you if can read the standard notation for strumming patterns (this is where a lesson would be good) you can strumm all the strummable (rewriting english here)songs without remembering a single pattern.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic