Strum Patterns

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
Andy here is a sheet of wish you were here ( I hope it will show up)I am working on taken from GP. The standard notation have to show the rhythm other wise there would be no need for time signature. In this sheet you will see the standard notation, below the tab, then lower the graphic representation of the rhythm (you will notice it is the same as the standard notation) and just below is the direction for strumming.

So once you can decipher the notation, you have the rhythm. You do not need to know the actual notes(you have them in the tab which are most of the time accurate ) on the standard notation but if you learn how quarter notes, or a group of sixteenth notes, or triplets are strummed or picked then you have your strumming rhythm.

Marc Image
Marc - It appears as though this is the picking part for the intro to the song as you are picking individual notes. I would be interested in seeing it further into the song to see if they are giving you "strumming" patterns or just simply "picking" for the melody notes.
Ric I will most likely post a video on wish you were here
over the weekend using this partition. It is a mixture of picking and strumming. This is the same as Neil was showing in his PDF of the lesson but which was not showing the notation.

Marc

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Andy, Good work on this, cetainly looks the business.

Chas

tovo

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Gang,

Just a quick note to let you know that I briefly touched on this on the TG News thread today.
TG News Jan 15, 2010

Neil

AndyT

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks Neil. Thanks for your comments on this in the news. I still think that having a few patterns will help students master strumming. You still have to learn the basics and how they work before you can move on to other more advanced techniques.

So 50 patterns is not good, but 20 would cover quite a bit and give the training we need to really understand them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic