Advanced Search Feedback Thread

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGJIM

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi,

Please leave your comments about advanced feedback here.

Thanks,
Big Jim

mark

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Jim

I gave it a go.
It doesn't seem to find lessons by the band name.
I put in Zeppelin and beatles and it found no results.

I also did a search of the forum for Seagull and it gave 5 results.
Searching the forum in the normal way gives a lot more results.
It seems to return results only if the search term is in the title of the forum post.

dennisg

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:05 pm

mark wrote:
Hi Jim

I gave it a go.

It seems to return results only if the search term is in the title of the forum post.
Mark,

When I keyed in "Beatles," I got 450 hits. I think you may have inadvertently changed the keyword search dropdown menu to Search In Titles Only. Also, I wouldn't have expected it to find lessons, since it's a forum search tool.

suziko

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

I tried using it to search the forum. Typed in key word "tattoo" and came up with the thread "What if you had to get a guitar-themed tattoo" which is what I was looking for. Seems like a great feature. There have definitely been times I wanted to find an old thread but didn't feel like wading through pages of threads, and also wasn't sure which category they would have been put under in the first place.

wammer

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Typed in
wholl stop the rain and got no hits So then corrected to Who'll stop the rain and got what I was looking for.

mark

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 am

dennisg wrote:
mark wrote:
Hi Jim

I gave it a go.

Mark,

When I keyed in "Beatles," I got 450 hits. I think you may have inadvertently changed the keyword search dropdown menu to Search In Titles Only. Also, I wouldn't have expected it to find lessons, since it's a forum search tool.

Hi Dennis
I think we are looking at different things.

I was testing the new beta advanced search (link at the top right hand corner of the screen just under the search box).
This new search is trying to search the whole site and not just the forum.
I think you were looking at the Forum advanced search whcih just searches the forum.

dennisg

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 am

mark wrote:
Hi Dennis

I was testing the new beta advanced search (link at the top right hand corner of the screen just under the search box).
I think you were looking at the Forum advanced search whcih just searches the forum.
Yes, now I see what you mean. And you're right -- it's broken. I do like its potential, though. The way it delivers search results instantaneously is cool.

jim56

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:02 am

I'm taking my Alvarez in today to replace the strings so I tried searching for the word "strings" and got several hits immediately, then I checked each box separtely and got different search results. Even got DustStrings on a search.

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 pm

dennisg wrote:
mark wrote:
Hi Dennis

Yes, now I see what you mean. And you're right -- it's broken. I do like its potential, though. The way it delivers search results instantaneously is cool.
This was what I discovered that I mentioned on TG Live and got a bit of 'stick' for, could have said it better. The instant results is good must admit, but when I used it it seemed to only search headings of things in each category.

TGJIM

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

We made some changes for today based on feedback. Please check it out. Keep the feedback coming!

1/19 - On forum search look in threads as well as subject lines
1/19 - Show page of results when search is clicked
1/18 - Show 10 results on drop down

Big Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic