smilguitar New Acoustic Songs !

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:40 am

Kenny, I have always read your posting with interest because of the knowledge that you have shown about guitar.

I totally agree with the action of TG (Matt in this case) where he has remove the links of smilguitar. The purpose to present a video on this site is to show that you have learn something from this site. I was very uncomfortable when I saw his posting , as with his level of playing, he does not need any lessons. So what else if it is not for self promotion. I doubt that it is the only site where smilguitar has presented his playing which I think is fantastic by the way. But if I want to see this level of playing, I can go on youtube. Please note that he has replied that he understands.

One of my concerns of having this kind of post is I do not want this site to become like youtube or most of the guitar websites I joined at one point or another. Those places where many people are taking agressive position for or against something and are spitting on each others is not something I want for this site. I would say with reasonnable confidence that 99.9% of the people on this site do not want that either. There is this mutual respect from everybody where we just want to learn guitar at whatever level of playing we are and are just looking for help.

I found that your comments for something that did not concerned you (as you have said that you would not post a video (I remember asking you since you when you were participating a lot a while ago)were out of line and deliberately looking for confrontation. They are the type of comments that I was hoping not to see here.

The comments Matt have posted to explain his decision were consequent with the philosophy of the webiste (his website, by the way) and I personnanlly fully support his point. Nobody is forced to attend.The courteous thing to do if someone fully disagree with a policy is to send a private E-Mail. Putting it in the forum for everybody to see is certainly looking for confrontation , not to resolve anything.

Marc

TGMatt

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Kenny

This is the second time you have decided to get personal

Respect for the way we run this site is not under negotiation, respect to then accept the umpires decision with some introspection on why this may be the case, which I attempted to articulate to you and others , I think is warranted...respect shown where you or anyone else leaves personal name calling and disrespect off this site I think is absolutely neccesary..

and so for this last batch of name calling..Good bye Kenny...don't let the door hit you on the way out...From one pissed off ,sociapathic little girl who needs to breathe more and take yoga lessons..

dennisg

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Well, that was predictable.

eagle670

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I should have bet the over on this one. I didn't think he would have lasted this long.

BigBear

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:46 pm

I've got to weigh in here. There is a lesson to be learned.

First let me say that I don't always agree with Matt or the policies on this site and Matt and I have had several private discussions regarding my concerns. That's where they belong. And my concerns were all addressed.

But Matt was absolutely correct on this one. Here are some things to consider:

1. Brice is a brilliant young player and we all acknowledged that. And Matt stated over and over that he is welcome on the forum. and of course is welcome to become a TARGET member.

2. Whether Brice was self-promoting or not is really moot. This isn't YouTube, this is a guitar teaching site. If you pay your dues and you want to post a video to solicit Neil's or or other TG'ers feedback go for it. But who has time to watch every good, young player? I want TARGET and TG to stay focused without excluding anyone.

3. None of us has ever been told we can't disagree with the policies of this site and we appear to be free to do so in a polite, civil manner. But if your problem is with Matt, post him privately. Some of us seem to have trouble understanding "No Personal Attacks". Especially in an open forum.

4. We don't own this site, we are merely guests. We didn't create this thing but we all get enjoyment from it. Our input seems welcome but if you don't agree, or like, something so much that you need to get nasty and insulting it's time to take your business elsewhere. Many of these personal attacks seem to come from non-members, which is particularly unfortunate. But membership doesn't inure the right to be insulting to anyone. And this site is certainly not a democracy, it's a business!

5. If it comes down to a battle of wills between Matt and another forum participant the forum participant will lose every time. It has to be that way. Matt owns this site. And he and his partners make the rules. Matt could say things a little more diplomatically at times but that doesn't change the messeage. His site, his rules. We need to play by them or leave.

Does anyone really want to leave this great resource because they don't like how the site owner explains something that we already know? That would be stupid and self-defeating.

That's my two cents. I'm very sorry to lose Kenny if he's gone. He was a great contributer but I would expect Matt to boot me if I acted like that. There is just no need for it for such a trivial issue. As a friend once told me "focus on the doughnut and not on the hole!!

Thanks for listening! :cheer:

d_dog

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I wondered what the f stood for in Kenny's name, now I know...
Good for you Matt, and great comments Lavallee and Bear.

Moondog

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:08 pm

BigBear wrote:
I've got to weigh in here. There is a lesson to be learned.

First let me say that I don't always agree with Matt or the policies on this site and Matt and I have had several private discussions regarding my concerns. That's where they belong. And my concerns were all addressed.

But Matt was absolutely correct on this one. Here are some things to consider:

1. Brice is a brilliant young player and we all acknowledged that. And Matt stated over and over that he is welcome on the forum. and of course is welcome to become a TARGET member.

2. Whether Brice was self-promoting or not is really moot. This isn't YouTube, this is a guitar teaching site. If you pay your dues and you want to post a video to solicit Neil's or or other TG'ers feedback go for it. But who has time to watch every good, young player? I want TARGET and TG to stay focused without excluding anyone.

3. None of us has ever been told we can't disagree with the policies of this site and we appear to be free to do so in a polite, civil manner. But if your problem is with Matt, post him privately. Some of us seem to have trouble understanding "No Personal Attacks". Especially in an open forum.

4. We don't own this site, we are merely guests. We didn't create this thing but we all get enjoyment from it. Our input seems welcome but if you don't agree, or like, something so much that you need to get nasty and insulting it's time to take your business elsewhere. Many of these personal attacks seem to come from non-members, which is particularly unfortunate. But membership doesn't inure the right to be insulting to anyone. And this site is certainly not a democracy, it's a business!

5. If it comes down to a battle of wills between Matt and another forum participant the forum participant will lose every time. It has to be that way. Matt owns this site. And he and his partners make the rules. Matt could say things a little more diplomatically at times but that doesn't change the messeage. His site, his rules. We need to play by them or leave.

Does anyone really want to leave this great resource because they don't like how the site owner explains something that we already know? That would be stupid and self-defeating.

That's my two cents. I'm very sorry to lose Kenny if he's gone. He was a great contributer but I would expect Matt to boot me if I acted like that. There is just no need for it for such a trivial issue. As a friend once told me "focus on the doughnut and not on the hole!!

Thanks for listening! :cheer:

I agree with almost everything Bear said. The exception is "Matt could say things a little more diplomatically at times"
Matt calls it like he see it and doesn't pull a lot of punches. You know where you stand with him and I can Respect that.

Mike

mark

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Interesting thread as always.

I wonder if there is an opportunity being missed here.
Love it or hate it, that style of acoustic guitar playing is quite popular. It isn't catered for here at totally guitars (at least not yet).

Why not try and get him to do a few lessons and show us how it's done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic