I think you'll like this

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Hydroman52

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm

One of my favorite music WEB sites is Daytrotter. I’m sure some of you may have already visited it. If not, you should check it out. It features artists in a unique environment. I have registered with the site, but I don't think you need to do that to browse the music. Here is their description of the site:

Daytrotter Sessions

These fine people – as they’re traveling through America’s heartland – take two hours out of their travels between shows to stop in for a Daytrotter Session at The Horseshack in downtown Rock Island, Ill. The name of the city is not ironic. They use borrowed instruments, play with their touring mates, utilize an often unkempt toilet, eat some food and then cram back into their vans for the last half of the drive. What they leave behind is a pile of ashes, sometimes a forgotten stocking hat and four absolutely collectible songs that often impart on whomever listens to them the true intensity that these musicians put into their art, sometimes with more clarity than they do when they have months to tinker with overdubs and experiments. These songs are them as they are on that particular day, on that particular tour – dirty and alive. We want you to make this your new home as it is ours. We promise that you will love it here.

I’ll admit that a lot (maybe most) of the music I don’t really care about. But then I find a gem like the two performers that dropped in on October 27, 2009. I would imagine that these are campfire songs performed by this excellent mother and son team. My favorite is Your So Vain. And . . . . check it out . . . . . . you can download the songs for free.

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/carly-simo ... -1107.html

There are some raw and gritty performances by some quality performers. One day, I plan on stopping at their studio to see if they allow people to pop in and check it out.

Moondog

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info.

Mike

johnrfeeney

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm

always loved Carley Simon and listening to her at that site was nice

thank you

d_dog

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks Hydro, great tunes. I had no idea her son was a musician. Very nice. You might consider changing the Thread title, it's pretty vague.

Hydroman52

Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 am

d_dog wrote:
Thanks Hydro, great tunes. I had no idea her son was a musician. Very nice. You might consider changing the Thread title, it's pretty vague.
Yes, he is very talented, obviously in the genes from his very musical parents. When I first heard him sing, I didn't make the connection. Then, months later, I read a review on the songs that I had heard and then came the "ah ha" moment (oh, THAT'S who he is!). Needless to say, his singing, playing, and songwriting skills stand alone without the need to connect him with his famous parents, in my opinion.

You are right. The thread title is a bit cloudy, but I wasn't in a clever mode when I wrote it. Maybe something like "It's Daytrotter. Not Daytripper" would have been more appropriate. But I think I'll leave it as is so I don't confuse anyone into thinking it is a new thread and view it again. I'll be more careful next time.

Another one of these types of sites that I like is KEXP 90.3 FM out of Seattle.

This one is cool . . . before the Grammy award propelled her to fame I believe:

http://kexp.org/live/liveperformance.aspx?rID=12268

Grazing at these sites is sort of like eating a box of chocolates with Forrest Gump . . . you never know what your gonna get.

willem

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:58 am

I'll liked it,, and most of all ''your so vain'' ..sometimes we have friends singing//guitar evening and we do that song and now i'v heard this one on daytrotter i wish we could do it that way...beautifull two guitars i heard and ofcourse the singing thank you very much..hydro..

willem

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 am

willem wrote:
I'll liked it,, and most of all ''your so vain'' ..sometimes we have friends singing//guitar evening and we do that song and now i'v heard this one on daytrotter i wish we could do it that way...beautifull two guitars i heard and ofcourse the singing thank you very much..hydro..
this is nice... i changed the thread tittle a bit,,

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:09 am

Hey Dog, if you didn't know her son (James Taylor's son) Ben was a musician, then you'll love this (found it last year and was really impressed... you can really hear his parents' influence, especially James' on guitar):

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic