The best idea in the world ever!!!!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
carpet

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I've probably just had the best idea in the world ever! As far as helping us guitarists to develop our ear and get to know musical structure better!

Here's my simple and grand idea.

A song is selected. One week, Neil does a short 2 minute video telling us what the song is (it should be one we're all bound to know and own) and what key it is in, then he simply tells us to get to work.

Two weeks (or however long it is later) he does a lesson of that song.

Our job, in the interim, is to take the clue and everything we know about keys, scales and their relative chords and attempt to work out the song for ourselves - there would be no cheating, we would only have the original song and Neils clues as our starting off point. We could post our renditions in the video review section and then measure it against Neils more accurate version once the lesson has been made! Obviously a degree of artistic license on the teachers and students parts will be expected, but the exercise will be to see if we are able to piece together the skeleton of it.

It might help and encourage us in developing our ears, and would definitely help drill the different keys, scales and chords into our heads!! Whadda ya say? I just had that idea about a minute ago!

tovo

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm

I think it's a grand idea that would certainly help transcribing skills for those keen to improve in that area. Only question would be Neil's availability to do this. And of course he needs to like the idea a whole lot or....

TGMatt

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 pm

So that idea, is nice...but will never happen due to the timing issue..

But you guys have that same concept in drip feed form...you get the song then the first part of the lesson..
If you want to skip ahead ...away you go..

carpet

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 pm

yeah that occurred to me as well after i posted. a way around it may be for him to do a clue to the songs he's already transcribing for us and then just leave about a two week lag between that and the lesson premiere.

carpet

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 pm

No problems, the idea just kinda hit me on the fly anyway!!

TGMatt

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 pm

Hey it was cool...trust me we have so many ideas it hurts, but we gotta stick to a core group of lessons monthly, and live show and specials..

keep the ideas coming

And have a go at one of the two drip feeds..

carpet

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm

i'll check em out! Cheers!

AndyT

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 am

The only problem I have with these type of 'timing' of lessons is that once they are all released, any new people do not get the benefit of being denied the next lesson in the series. Yes, that is a benefit.

Now, it could be done, but it would have to be an option pre-programmed into the site itself. It would have to keep track of where you are in the lessons and allow you to get the next ones when you are ready for it. But that means, Neil, or someone, has to check us each out and grade us accordingly so we can progress the way we should. Neil, (or whomever) would be able to open various lessons to us depending on where we are at. That is simple, but a LOT of work for Neil.

Other than that, I'm loving it!

wadestar

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 am

TGMatt wrote:
So that idea, is nice...but will never happen due to the timing issue..

But you guys have that same concept in drip feed form...you get the song then the first part of the lesson..
If you want to skip ahead ...away you go..
Yes timing is key to any success in these Ideas

carpet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 am

well, where there's a will, there's a way. You could have a 2-minute additional video added on to the lesson - it would be the first video and would come before the Play Through. Then it would be up to the students discretion as to whether they wanted to attempt to work it out first, or whether they wanted to just go straight into the lesson. It wouldn't really cost anything in time as it would be done when the lesson was being recorded, and it would only be a short additional video at the start. it may cost about 2 minutes extra time when you're shooting the lesson, but those two minute clues could prove to be a goldmine in helping us students along even more than you do already, helping us in becoming more independent guitarists or encouraging us to take the intiative in our learning - safe in the knowledge that the answer is right there waiting for us once we've worked it out or when we get frustrated and just go 'aaah! gimme the song!'.

Those who just want to learn the songs needn't bother with the clues video - they can go straight to the lesson, but it would be a useful aid for those of us who would like to develop our own ability to work things out on the guitar.

no time lag, no delay - just an optional extra at the begininning of each lesson.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic