downloading lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Music Junkie

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:56 pm

I am very lucky at work and at home. I have very decent broadband connections. Watching the lessons is not much of a problem at either location. A while back I went up north to my moms and she only has dial up. Now that was kind of a pain..... I have her set up with windows XP (computer is a couple of yrs old) and she uses Firefox as her browser. While I was there, I checked out a few lessons. I had pretty good luck clicking on the video and waiting a few minutes (long enough to down a beer). When I came back, the clips played fine. I have to admit that I would not want to do that all the time, but it was ok....

TGMike

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm

dennisg wrote:
TGMike wrote:
gchapel wrote:
I understand why downloading is considered to be more of a risk for theft of content but in reality streaming video can be easily captured and duplicated as well.

Also as mobile devices mature more and more people will want to practice guitar away from the computer using smart phones, ipads, ipods, and other video devices.

It would make sense to move toward multiple models for viewing video content or at least moving away from flash video and supporting HTML5 video like youtube and vimeo are doing. That would at least allow ipads, and iphones to view the videos when connected via 3G or wifi.
Or it would help if Apple would stop shunning Adobe ;) HTML5 looks very promising but is not yet standardized by W3C and is years away. We are looking at all other modes of delivering to our customers. For now this is the current TG model.
All due respect, Mike, Apple doesn't shun Adobe. Apple shuns Flash, and for a very good reason: it crashes web browsers.
Yes you are correct about Apple shunning adobe.

TGMike

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

As one of those with Broadband issues I shall be watching the future with baited breath. As bear says the Forums are the gravy, but i'm getting hungry and need some meat. The recent tests are all very well but at the end of the day if your Broadband is crap its still crap. I can barely ever get a lesson these days and hang in here basically for the Forum etc. I rely on user vids that go up via You Tube to help out mostly as even the slowest bitrate TG vids are exceptionally slow and suffer from freezing depending on the time of day mostly, so my alternative is change my sleep cycle ummm don't think so lol. NZ Govt has subscribed to a 'National' broadband but the provider of the cable is still only at Tender stage...
The meat is coming. Thanks for hanging in there. More on this soon.

gchapel

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Apple is very pleased with most things Adobe does, they just don't like Flash because of the following reasons;
1) Buggy and inefficient implementation (ie crashes a lot).Recently Adobe even apologized for their poor implementation on non windows devices.
2) CPU intensive (performance metes spike when encountering a flash site)
3) Battery Hog (critical factor for mobile devices)

Flash is a closed system, proprietary to Adobe and Apple doesn't want proprietary software dictating the future for web delivery. I would see Apple's fight against Flash as a positive thing for those who desire an open architecture infrastructure.

I understand HTML5 is not yet standardized by W3C but it is still currently being supported by youTube and Vimeo as well as many other major websites.

If TotallyGuitars is going to remain Flash based, is there any chance that TotallyGuitars will develop an iphone/ipad based app similar to the youtube app that will allow streaming video content delivery? I seems as if it would be a wise investment for the future considering the momentum of internet connected appliances and the success of the iphone/ipod touch system. In addition, iphone/ipad/ipod development is very easy and would allow more control in the delivery of video and other content.

By the way Matt, I am not criticizing you or Totally Guitars. I think you guys do a great job! I just think it would be really cool to be able to go to the itunes store and download a suite of Totally Guitar sponsored apps that could do everything from play video lessons to tab transcription to chord patterns by directly fretting on the touch screen. The possibilities for a touch based device are endless.

Personally I would just like to be able practice guitar and play your video content outside with my phone or future ipad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic