downloading lessons

Feel free to get outside the box here.
iccco

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm

I see you can no longer download lessons. Maybee I am the only member with this problem, but I can't get high speed internet at my home so I have to download lessons at work and then use them at home. Now I can't do that. Why the change? I pay my monthly subscription fee. If you pay for the lessons you should be able to download them so you don't alway need to be on a high speed connection. If this is permanent change then I will have to cancel my subscription.

Mike :(

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Mike:

I think they do it this way to try and keep the subscriber videos from popping up on the net for free..... I think most folks would use them as you do, but there is just such a big problem these days with proprietary stuff ending up everywhere on the net as pirated items..... I know that it is a hassle to try and watch on dial-up connections....... Hope you don't decide to leave... :(

MJ

TGMike

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi,

Sorry you are having trouble. We never intended for our material to be downloaded and it is against our terms of service. We realize some of our lower bandwidth users were downloading our content because it was unplayable for them. We have a new version of all lessons being rolled out for these customers.

Please take a look at our test and maybe it will work great for you too. If not please fill out a support ticket to cancel your account and we will promptly take care of your request.

Thanks,
Mike

BigBear

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Mike- this isn't a change in policy, it's been this way since day one. Only the free YouTube lessons are downloadable. Many of us have asked for downloading ability but to protect the product it isn't possible at this time.

And this makes perfect sense because if you could download lessons all you would have to do is join for one month, download every lesson and then quit the program and you'd have quite a library for $25. Not really fair to Matt and Neil.

I have the same problem with slow internet service but all I can do is let the whole lesson fully load before I play it and then it works fine.

Don't give up a great program because of one limitation. Too much great stuff here!

Cheers! :cheer:

iccco

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

I guess I will end up canceling for now because I don't have internet at my house. I have a cell phone for my telephone. Even if I did have a landline phone which would cost another $40.00 a month and then spend probably an hour to have a lesson load every time I wanted to practice. To me it should be like music. You pay the price to download and use at work or home. I pay every month and try and work on a few every month. They could always limit the possible downloads to 1 to 3 a month, or something on that order. Your always going to have some people ripping the system off. It happens in every business. Hopefully they will have broadband come my way down the road. Just my take on it. :(

BigBear

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Mike- I hear you totally but the lessons are really the only thing this site has to sell; it is the core of their business. Their intellectual property if you will. The forum, music downloads, walls, chats, and everything else are just the gravy.

We're trying to ditch our landline phones and go to all cell like you do but I still need internet service and the cell internet cards are still too damned expensive, I have one in my company laptop.

I seriously don't think it would take an hour to load a lesson even with the slowest service but it could take a few minutes. It's a real pain to have slow internet.

Good luck Mike and I hope you find a way to stick with us! :cheer:

gchapel

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:02 pm

I understand why downloading is considered to be more of a risk for theft of content but in reality streaming video can be easily captured and duplicated as well.

Also as mobile devices mature more and more people will want to practice guitar away from the computer using smart phones, ipads, ipods, and other video devices.

It would make sense to move toward multiple models for viewing video content or at least moving away from flash video and supporting HTML5 video like youtube and vimeo are doing. That would at least allow ipads, and iphones to view the videos when connected via 3G or wifi.

TGMike

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm

gchapel wrote:
I understand why downloading is considered to be more of a risk for theft of content but in reality streaming video can be easily captured and duplicated as well.

Also as mobile devices mature more and more people will want to practice guitar away from the computer using smart phones, ipads, ipods, and other video devices.

It would make sense to move toward multiple models for viewing video content or at least moving away from flash video and supporting HTML5 video like youtube and vimeo are doing. That would at least allow ipads, and iphones to view the videos when connected via 3G or wifi.
Or it would help if Apple would stop shunning Adobe ;) HTML5 looks very promising but is not yet standardized by W3C and is years away. We are looking at all other modes of delivering to our customers. For now this is the current TG model.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm

TGMike wrote:
gchapel wrote:

Or it would help if Apple would stop shunning Adobe ;) HTML5 looks very promising but is not yet standardized by W3C and is years away. We are looking at all other modes of delivering to our customers. For now this is the current TG model.
As one of those with Broadband issues I shall be watching the future with baited breath. As bear says the Forums are the gravy, but i'm getting hungry and need some meat. The recent tests are all very well but at the end of the day if your Broadband is crap its still crap. I can barely ever get a lesson these days and hang in here basically for the Forum etc. I rely on user vids that go up via You Tube to help out mostly as even the slowest bitrate TG vids are exceptionally slow and suffer from freezing depending on the time of day mostly, so my alternative is change my sleep cycle ummm don't think so lol. NZ Govt has subscribed to a 'National' broadband but the provider of the cable is still only at Tender stage...

dennisg

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

TGMike wrote:
gchapel wrote:

All due respect, Mike, Apple doesn't shun Adobe. Apple shuns Flash, and for a very good reason: it crashes web browsers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic