Advanced guitarist

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dltarnnr

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Great site Neil , From the beginning is a beautiful song to learn.
However Im wondering if these lessons are for the more seasoned
player.I just started in Febuary of 2009 with a right handed guitar
which was given to me.It wasnt until April that I bought a left
handed Fender ,no regrets.Is there somewhere on this site I could
go to get help with the rough spots I dont understand, I taught myself
to read tabs and very few chords so im limited and its not like your
a bad teacher its just I need more help. Thanks John

BigBear

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm

John- Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of really great free stuff here at Totally Guitars. But if you are serious about learning the guitar you really need to give the TARGET program a try.

All of us with bulls-eyes under our avatars are TARGET members and I can tell you personally that it is the single greatest investment in guitar and music education I have ever made. My skills with the guitar have skyrocketed since I joined last year. And I've played off and on for 40 years!

From the Beginning is not a beginner song but it isn't advanced either. I play this song a lot and I believe it's a solid intermediate song. All the songs/lessons in the TARGET program are rated as to difficulty which is a big help.

Also, if you are just starting out there is a fabulous series of lessons called "Acoustic Genius" that covers a broad range of guitar and music topics. Acoustic Genius is worth the investment just for that, if nothing else.

I don't speak for the owners of this program but they have always had a really generous refund policy. If you join and decide it isn't for you, they have been very accomodating about letting people out. Give it a try and I'll bet you that you will find it invaluable as so many of us have.

Good luck on your musical journey and feel free to contact me, or any of us, if you have questions about the program.

Cheers! :cheer:

dltarnnr

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply , If I can get by with this first lesson I will
definetly check it out.I believe im not the only 50yr old who decided
one day to just pick up a guitar .If I can teach myself Tears in the rain
by Satriani by tabs I will learn this . Thanks again Bigbear

Many people die with their music still in them.
Why is this so? Too often it is because they are
always getting ready to live.
Before they know it,time runs out.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

haoli25

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm

John, I have to echo what BigBear said, the TARGET program is the way to go for any guitar player, particularly someone that is new to guitar. With this prgram you can be as good as you want to be if you are willing to put in the practice time. The program has also helped many us 50+ guitar players overcome some bad habits that we have developed over the years. It has been a great investment for me.

Bill

jayswett

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

I will emphasize the point that there is PLENTY on this site for beginners. Certainly this is true with regard to Target, and it's also probably true for non-Target content. The bottom line, though, is that the cost of Target is very reasonable for the incredible amount of content that it offers. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with whatever you decide.

wrench

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:22 pm

dltarnnr wrote:
Great site Neil , From the beginning is a beautiful song to learn.
However Im wondering if these lessons are for the more seasoned
player.I just started in Febuary of 2009 with a right handed guitar
which was given to me.It wasnt until April that I bought a left
handed Fender ,no regrets.Is there somewhere on this site I could
go to get help with the rough spots I dont understand, I taught myself
to read tabs and very few chords so im limited and its not like your
a bad teacher its just I need more help. Thanks John
John,

I started playing at age 55 in March 2009, on a right handed guitar, but I am left handed, AND I have posted From the Beginning - twice. You can do it John, and everything you need is here at TG. Take in some of the free tips and easier free songs, and see if you don't improve quickly. Then consider TARGET, because you just can't believe the wealth of of musical learning available there, and ask plenty of questions here in the forum. We'll be looking forward to hearing more from you.

wrench

AndyT

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 am

John,

The best place for you to start is the Master Menu. On it you will find songs rated by difficulty. That will allow you to choose some simpler ones to get you started.

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic