Andres Segovia

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Lavallee

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

I have heard Segovia here and there many times but today as I had a long drive to do, I decided to buy a couple CDs for the road. One of them was Andres Segovia's Baroque Guitar (Michele, as a fan of Baroque, you need to get that CD). So I was able to listen uninterrupted. As I was listening I could appreciate the difficulty of the pieces he was playing. Without being an expert I was paying attention to the clarity of all of the notes, the emotion he is injecting, the power of his rolling crescendos, fantastic timing, the variety of tones even if the songs sounded extremely elaborate.

The more I was listening the more it sounded familiar. I realize that the same qualities are found into Neil's playing. Listening to Neil's playing makes you want to learn.

I am glad to be part of TG TARGET and to have the opportunity to learn from one of the best player.

Marc

michelew

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks for the recommendation Marc. I'll be visiting iTunes when I get home. I agree completely about how lucky we are to have someone of Neil's (and Hector's) calliber teaching us.

BigBear

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 am

Marc- I've been a huge fan of Segovia for many, many years. It is rare in life when we get to experience someone who, almost without question, was the master of his craft. The Grand Maestro of the Spanish guitar. Everytime I hear him I get the chills. He was still playing brilliantly into his 90's. Just an amazing musician. :cheer:

michelew

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 am

Well iTunes doesn't seem to have Baroque GUitar - but I purchased The Art of Segovia, which is pretty amazing so far. They have an album called A Baroque Guitar Weekend, but Segovia only seems to play a few of the tracks. I may go back to it regardless. THanks again Marc.

jim56

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 am

Thanks Marc for the heads up. Went to YouTube and ordered up a bit of Segovia, there's hope for me yet. I wanted to start playing before arthritis set in, lol. At 54, today, I still have a chance. -Jim

Lavallee

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:05 am

michelew wrote:
Well iTunes doesn't seem to have Baroque GUitar - but I purchased The Art of Segovia, which is pretty amazing so far. They have an album called A Baroque Guitar Weekend, but Segovia only seems to play a few of the tracks. I may go back to it regardless. THanks again Marc.
Hi Michele, here is the link to Amazon, in case you walk or surf by a music store. Look at the bottom of the page for ther titles. You will found Bourree whch sounds just like Neil.

Marc

Lavallee

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 am

BigBear wrote:
Marc- I've been a huge fan of Segovia for many, many years. It is rare in life when we get to experience someone who, almost without question, was the master of his craft. The Grand Maestro of the Spanish guitar. Everytime I hear him I get the chills. He was still playing brilliantly into his 90's. Just an amazing musician. :cheer:
Rick, I agree with you that it is a rare occasion to have a master in our life time. I just regret not paying attention to him when he was alive.

Marc

Lavallee

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

jim56 wrote:
Thanks Marc for the heads up. Went to YouTube and ordered up a bit of Segovia, there's hope for me yet. I wanted to start playing before arthritis set in, lol. At 54, today, I still have a chance. -Jim
Hi Jim , obviously the recipe to fight athritis is to play a lot of guitar. Seemed to work for him.I am starting to have some in my knees. I started playing badminton twice a week about 6 months ago. After I play, the next day, I am without discomfort. I should play 4 times a week and never feel any problems in my knees :laugh:

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic