Vocals in lessons (singing).

Feel free to get outside the box here.
kjetilkl

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 am

Hi!

Thanks for great guitar lessons. Unfortunately theres a big lack in your lessons, which is you singing the song you teach. Its often hard to get the idea on how to sing the songs next to playing them on the guitar. Of course I can find some at youtube etc, but I think its hard to get the timing in place with your arrangements since you dont show when to start singing in different parts of the songs.

Therefore, I hope you will sing as well in your new lessons. I dont care if youre a good singer or not, the important is to get the idea :-) Especially with all the songs that I never heard before and dont recognize, it would that be a very good improvement.

Best regards
Kjetil Klove
Norway

hasben

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm

I think our friend from Norway has a point. And I have an idea. Neil plays AND sings and entire song-- any Tom Petty song would be a good start-- and the family members review it. Sing Neil, sing. :)

hasben

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:57 pm

hasben wrote:
I think our friend from Norway has a point. And I have an idea. Neil plays AND sings and entire song-- any Tom Petty song would be a good start-- and the family members review it. Sing Neil, sing. :)
Sometimes it feels good to bump yourself! Come on gys and gls! Sing, Neil, Sing! :cheer :cheer: :

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I agree that singing along with the lessons is a great benefit. I notice Neil has been singing more songs as new ones come out, even if there are certain parts that he may leave out because the range is too high or something. I think it would be unreasonable to expect Neil to sing "every" song but it would be great to have a guest singer who could fill in for the singing parts to fill in where Neil feels it is needed. I would be open to other ideas such as having the words scroll by with a bouncing ball as I have seen at other places to help show the words and where they come in with Neil's playing. Just a thought. Gary

dennisg

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Kjetil,

Please give an example of a lesson song that you wish Neil would sing. From my perspective, as a singer, it looks to me like most of the songs Neil teaches have a melody line played on the guitar that replaces the voice.

hasben

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

No comment.

kjetilkl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 am

Examples:

Lesson: Dire Straits, Sultans of swing
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... rget-short

Lesson: Pink Floyd, Wish you were here
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -here#song

Lesson: Eric Clapton, Wonderful tonight
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... night#song