Playing I want You in a diiferent key

Feel free to get outside the box here.
68camaro

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Neil,
Due to an injury to my index finger I have
problems barring strings with it, especially
on the first fret. If I used a capo would it change
the chord shapes so it might be easier for me to play???

beaker

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm

68 camaro,

I am no Neil Hogan, but I think I can take a shot at answering this. The short answer is no, using a capo would not change the chord shapes. It would change the key though. As I remember, I Want You is in the Key of Dm. If you capo'd that @ the 1st fret it would be in D#m. In order to change the chord shapes, you would have to change the starting chord. for example, you (hypothetically) could start on Cm, then all of the other chords in the song would also have to change as they relate to Cm instead of Dm. More than likely this would completely change the tone of the song. So I would say this could be theoretically done, but probably not in a practical manner, and it would probably change the tone of the song (the ringing open notes for example, the open D that it starts with) so much that it would not be worth it. Hope this helps, if I am off base, someone please correct me. (Big Bear). Beaker.

68camaro

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks Bear
I think your answer is probable correct.
What if I did not capo the guitar and played
different chord shapes that would make the song
in a different key. Would not sound like the original
but may sound OK. Just trying to get away from
having to bar the 1st and 3rd string on the first fret
with my index finger

unclewalt

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:27 am

This might be a little clumsy, but I just tried it and with practice, it should work: First, on the part where you hit the F note on the low E, first fret, don't worry about barring, just arch your finger over the strings.

The possibly clumsy part (though maybe not, it's a lot easier than I thought it would be) -- On the part where the top three strings are barred, you could sound the notes up the neck. You're in a D shape, but a string up: index finger on the D string, 6th fret; ring finger on the G string, 7th fret; and middle finger on the B string 6th fret. Since the note you hit just before this is an open E, you have time to get your hand up there.

Hmm, but it does get a bit clumsy after the first time through, when you have to repeat those notes after the descending bass line. You can try playing those bass notes up the neck, too, on the E string, but it still leaves you in an awkward position. Maybe in that case play the D shape with your middle, ring, and pinky. Either way, it can be done, but it will take more practice than usual to get it down.

unclewalt

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 am

Another possible solution -- slide with your middle finger from the first fret on the G string to the 7th fret. Don't sound that note you slide to, but when you get there, hit the B string on the 6th fret, fingering with your index finger. It actually sounds cool, in a way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic