Looking for help on Nexus by Dan Fogelberg, a 12 string song in tuning

Feel free to get outside the box here.
neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 am

I would give A LOT to learn how to play this song like Dan Fogelberg plays it live in the video below. It's a 12 string song played in tuning (sounds like D modal to me, but I may have it wrong). If anyone else out there is a Dan Fogelberg fan or a 12 string player or likes songs in tuning, maybe you can help pick this one apart and we could find out how to play it together. I have also posted it in the song requests for voting... maybe Neil will have mercy on us 12 stringers... we are very under-represented in terms of TARGET songs here. I'm sure it would sound fine on 6 strings too!

I have the chord chart and lyrics which I can post here or PM if anyone is interested and would like to help take this song apart so that we can learn how to play it. You could consider this a new TG member's project. Anyone up for it or can offer any insights?
Chris

haoli25

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:08 pm

You are correct Chris. I remember reading an interview with Dan Fogelberg in which he said that he always played in either Drop-D or Double Drop-D tuning for all of his Live performances. He went on to say that standard tuning was great for the studio, but he felt it was just too 'thin' for a solo acoustic guitar before a live audience.

Good luck with 'Nexus'. That is a true vocal workout!

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks for that tip Bill. Glad my ears work! I can manage the vocals not bad (behind closed doors!) it's the playing style and technique I'm really interested in here...

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:26 pm

.... Man, no 12 string players coming out of the woodwork on this.... Chas, where are you, I know you have 12 string Tak! ;-)

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
.... Man, no 12 string players coming out of the woodwork on this.... Chas, where are you, I know you have 12 string Tak! ;-)
I'm watching from the 'wings' , love this song, never tried it though. Agree though more 12 string songs would be nice. I had to learn 'Wanted Dead or Alive' for a gig, and I did it on the Tak 12 , Ritchie Sambora style except he used an Ovation twin neck,sounded awesome if I blow my own trumpet. Anyways I wouldn't mind the chord chart for this, looked for a tab haven't found one yet. I'd also like to see Dans 'AS The Raven Flies', easier DF song but oh so powerful vocals...

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I knew I just had to knock on the woodwork Chas! How's about we team up on this and see what we can work out. It's an awesome piece! And I love Dan's vocal.

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I knew I just had to knock on the woodwork Chas! How's about we team up on this and see what we can work out. It's an awesome piece! And I love Dan's vocal.
I'd always considered a DF collab with you, not sure about this one, never played this before. Send me the chord chart please I'll look at it. I'd actually considered 'Longer' as a possible collab check it out greatest wedding song ever lol. Now i'm really setting myself up for a difficult song lol

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:53 pm

...in the mail....
Longer is just a little bit sloppy for me.... but you never know.... I started to like Clapton!!

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:01 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...in the mail....
Longer is just a little bit sloppy for me.... but you never know.... I started to like Clapton!!
The lyrics are sloppy but it's a challenge to play.

yamaha_ll55

Sun May 02, 2010 11:19 am

************ORIGINAL POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR*****************

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Please take a moment in our introductions area and introduce yourself.

If you would like to work with TG please contact support with your proposal. It is not ok to redirect traffic from our site to other sources of guitar instruction. Although you did not post any links please note any links to other site will need to be approved through support first as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic