Is TARGET for wretched sounding newbies?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
buzz_187

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 am

^^^sooo looking forward to it! im almost sick of only playing this petty s#$T that i play 500 million trillion times over and over again!

willem

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:58 am

hEY brad,,i took some private lesson(6 years ago),that was great,,but,,that was 18 euro's for a half hour and i did'nt progress so much,,i'm a target member from the beginning a geuss and can now play some tunes and when i'm lost in it,,,well i visit the lesson again,,so a great library with great lesson and given on a great way,,and i think that you gonna be introduced to many songs you did'nt think of,,,see you(hear you)...

BigBear

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 am

buzz_187 wrote:
^^^sooo looking forward to it! im almost sick of only playing this petty s#$T that i play 500 million trillion times over and over again!

Now you'll go completely overboard the other way! Neil and TARGET have so many great songs which ones do you choose to learn? Like most of us, we are true TG-holics and have way more songs working in the hopper than we should. I try to limit myself to six to eight songs at a time and then Neil drops 10 new Clapton tunes on us! Give me a break!!

TARGET is an embarrassment of riches. It's like all the songs I always wanted to learn and now I've improved enough to play almost all of them, although not all well! Before TARGET I wouldn't have taken on anything harder than a level 5. Now bring on the tough stuff (although Embryonic Journey has me stumpted!).

I predict even Mrs. Buzz will see your improvement pretty quickly. And you will soon have a bad case of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). It's really infected some of our members like Dennis and Tony!

Happy playin' :cheer:

heyjoe

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 am

Hi Buzz

Great question..heres my answer

If you own a guitar, Target is for you.
If you don't own a guitar, Target is for you ( go buy one!)
Want to improve your voice..target is for you
Need electric guitar lessons, bass guitar lessons, theory lessons...target is for you.
Want to be part of a great, positive, constructive community...target is for you.
If you've been playing 30 years and want to get better...target is for you.
If you want to play properly...target is for you.

If you want Mrs Buzz to stop saying..."will you play a tune the whole way through"...target is for you

If you'd like Mrs Buzz to start saying " thats nice, play it again"...target is for you.

If you're happy to spend all your free time playing guitar, trying to decide which of the many tunes here to learn, or instructional videos to use, or which guitar you're going to buy next, or which song you're going to video to show us all...then target is for you.

If you haven't got the message by now, go get target, and get ready to practice like never before, and get ready to enjoy your guitar like never before.

Joe

abiliog

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 am

Hi Buzz,
I agree with everything that has been said.
I'm a beginner and, like you, five months ago, I was also wondered if I would be able to learn something?

After five months what can I tell you? I'm playing a few songs, learning others, music theory, getting help from such a supportive group of people.
You can see for yourself all of this in TG forum. For me, this is the best place to learn to play the guitar.

Do you want to learn to play the guitar? Do you really want it? Free time available?
Wake up your wife. You you are a lucky man, you found the right place to help you.
Abilio

tom18

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 am

Hi Buzz,
I also want to add my endorsement for Target. I joined about 6 months ago and it's been very helpful. I'm lucky have a great local teacher who's been a huge influence as well but I can't replay his lessons. With Target you can replay back Neil's lessons until it's thoroughly in your DNA. And he's a great teacher.
Tom
BTW, It's 7:15 am on the east coast. Time to join!

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks

wrench

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am

Buzz,

TARGET has the unanimous support of all who commented so far. Some of the responders are recent members, and some were here for the beginning of TARGET. Like Bear and Chas, I am one of those members. I think Bear and Chas were experienced players when they came to TG, but I was a completely green newbie. I knew ZERO when I signed up. I think this gives me an idea about what you really need to know about TARGET and learning guitar.

The first thing I want to say to you is there are two downside requirements to learn guitar:
1. it takes work
2. it takes patience

You will get nothing out of TARGET or any other program if you expect to become a good guitarist by sitting in front of a computer monitor. Although this is the means by which you will receive all the information you need (not to mention a ton-of-fun), you won't be able to apply any of it until you put your fingers on the fretboard. Early on, I gave an hour to study and an hour to physically practice each night. It was real work.

As you begin the journey, you will quickly find that you can learn a certain piece of information in seconds, but it may take weeks to apply that information to a guitar. It just takes longer to develop physical skills than it takes to learn information. You will need to be patient with yourself and recognize you need time to develop skills.

But now I want to say the upside is if you work and you are patient, you will progress with a sense of satisfaction, and your progress will be amazing. As a newbie with one year under my belt, I can play pretty much anything I want. I have posted a Level 8 song, and I would tackle a Level 9 with the expectation that I would succeed. I find now that that most mid-level classic rock songs that were over the horizon for me eight or nine months ago now take about five to ten minutes to learn and play a recognizable campfire version. I was able to tackle projects beyond my immediate skill level at about four to five months. I don't think this would apply to other programs. Neil and TARGET are unique and effective. When Neil said in his promo you could play thousands of songs quickly, I thought it was a just a pitch, but it is true. The techniques he teaches in any TARGET lesson really do apply to a HUGE number of other songs.

If you're going to put in some work, you can't join TARGET fast enough. Your return will be exponential, and you will play something by tonight that you cannot play now. But if you expect to play guitar by osmosis, save your money because you will fail with TARGET or any other program. Wow, that sounded harsh - I'm not implying anything here, I'm just giving you some reality through recent experience as a complete beginner in TARGET.

Dan

BigBear

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 am

wrench wrote:
But now I want to say the upside is if you work and you are patient, you will progress with a sense of satisfaction, and your progress will be amazing. As a newbie with one year under my belt, I can play pretty much anything I want. I have posted a Level 8 song, and I would tackle a Level 9 with the expectation that I would succeed. I find now that that most mid-level classic rock songs that were over the horizon for me eight or nine months ago now take about five to ten minutes to learn and play a recognizable campfire version. I was able to tackle projects beyond my immediate skill level at about four to five months. I don't think this would apply to other programs. Neil and TARGET are unique and effective. When Neil said in his promo you could play thousands of songs quickly, I thought it was a just a pitch, but it is true. The techniques he teaches in any TARGET lesson really do apply to a HUGE number of other songs.

Dan

Buzz and anyone else considering TARGET should check out Dan's version of The Sage by ELP to see what hard work and patience can achieve. Dan's progress since he started is nothing short of phenomenal. I've played for a lot of years and frankly I am in awe of Dan's performance.

I doubt the he is the norm but Dan is an inspiration both for his improvement on the guitar but also as a generous, supportive forum member whose posts are consistantly useful and helpful. He one of the many reasons this site is so special.

Don't mean to embarrass you Dan but your last post shows how much you care!

So all of you thinking of joining TARGET, there is so much here beyond Neil's fantastic lessons aznd teaching. It makes the already ridiculously low membership dues an even better value!

Cheers! :cheer:

MarkM

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59 am

Brad,

I don't have much time but wanted to say that you will be doing yourself a favor by joining. Although I had played for a while I had some very bad habbits in my technique. This site has given me not only the tools to correct those bad habbits but allows me a fun way to learn the correct techniques. I can't speak highly enough about the Target Program. Everyday on here is a new challenge to overcome in a fun freindly way.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic