Will there be iPad support

Feel free to get outside the box here.
d_dog

Wed May 05, 2010 6:55 pm

TGMatt wrote:
d_dog wrote:
Here are 3 recent cool articles, read the comments, they are the best..and sometimes the most informed...

http://mashable.com/2010/05/03/apple-an ... flash-ban/

http://mashable.com/2010/05/05/android-tablet-flash/

http://mashable.com/2010/04/29/apple-flash-html5/
Yes Matt, very insightful, that last one (apple-flash-html5) is spot on, very excellent view on the matter.

TGMatt

Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 am

gchapel

Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, I have seen several of those Android Tablet videos.

It looks like Apple has nothing to worry about. That prototype is really crude. The case looks like it is made of plexiglass and is about 1.5 - 2.0 inches thick. In addition, the video I saw had them attempting to run a flash application and the device crashed twice.

I would say this tablet is at least a year away from final release. By that time, Apple will be releasing generation 2 of the ipad, sold over 7 million ipad gen. one, added tens of thousands of ipad apps to the app store, and several thousand more sites will have abandoned flash video for HTML5, H.264.

I expect we will see flash, die a quicker death now that both Apple and Microsoft have publicly stated that they are supporting the open standards of HTML5 and H.264 rather than video delivered in a flash wrapper going forward.

TGMatt

Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 pm

gchapel wrote:
Yeah, I have seen several of those Android Tablet videos.

It looks like Apple has nothing to worry about. That prototype is really crude. The case looks like it is made of plexiglass and is about 1.5 - 2.0 inches thick. In addition, the video I saw had them attempting to run a flash application and the device crashed twice.

I would say this tablet is at least a year away from final release. By that time, Apple will be releasing generation 2 of the ipad, sold over 7 million ipad gen. one, added tens of thousands of ipad apps to the app store, and several thousand more sites will have abandoned flash video for HTML5, H.264.

I expect we will see flash, die a quicker death now that both Apple and Microsoft have publicly stated that they are supporting the open standards of HTML5 and H.264 rather than video delivered in a flash wrapper going forward.
Problem is is can't thanks to codec not being standardised..its a long way off from being done online..a long way ..

gchapel

Sat May 08, 2010 3:15 pm

I understand what you are saying Matt but HTML5 should be standardized by W3C very soon. The video codec is not part of the HTML5 standard. HTML5 standard will support multiple codecs. However it would be nice if a standard codec could be establish but like you said that is a long way off.

Microsoft's VP of IE9 development recently stated in his blog that IE9 would natively support HTML5 and H.264 video due to performance and stability issues with Flash. Apple announced that they are implementing full HTML5 and H.264 support in Safari and I assume webkit as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic