Will there be iPad support

Feel free to get outside the box here.
TGMatt

Wed May 05, 2010 1:14 am

And to add to my Iphone, ipods ( i have 3 ), shuffle, and twin 30 inch screens to match my super G5, I just bought a new Mac pro...the super duper laptop they just released..

And I have not drunk the coolaide..I have one of everything on both sides of the divide..

But AS Jim and Mike know..my Giant laptop, blew up, got replaced, that one blew up, and that got replaced by a new Sony , that lasted a week..now with Best buy for 2 weeks whilst they scratch their heads...

Tried to buy a 3g Ipad at same time, couldn't from 3 stores, so Im on the wait list, and as far as my opinion...I know you don't care..

But truthfully when you work with this stuff both platforms are required..Apple has plenty of issues, plenty...Windows machines have lots more..

Huge amount of work making stuff work across OS systems, browsers , and now different types of hardware platforms...just video alone is a nightmare....

Anyways..

(typing this from the mac pro as I sigh)

gchapel

Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 am

AndyT wrote:
Dennis,
My biggest complaint is all the hype. I have always hated companies that over hype stuff and then we are so disappointed when we get it. I don't watch TV (maybe 2 hours a week tops), so I don't have to put up with commercials that tout this or that as the next greatest thing, but Apple's marketing group has penetrated the net so deeply that I simply can not avoid all the hype. I hate that.
You do realize, Andy, that Apple does very little to hype their products. All of the hype comes from Apple users not Apple Marketing Group. I personally find that Apple is one of the few companies that actually delivers on their claims while Microsoft tends to espouse great products but never delivers. (See MS Courier) or (The original release of Vista).

In fact, Apple is usually completely secret about what they are developing and what they intend to release. But Apple rumor sites and Apple fan sites have a field day dreaming up what the next great product will be.

Lately, Apple leads and others follow.
Why do you think Apple stock had gone from $7 a few years back to over $260 today?

Before too long more people will own "ipad like" devices than people who own desktop or laptop computers. After all, most people don't need much more than a content device like the ipad. Desktops and laptops will be relegated to developers, video editors, scientists, and a few other hard core techies.

AndyT

Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 am

tovo wrote:
I sometimes think that highly computer literate people (geeks I think they are called ;) ) take some kind of perverse pleasure from Windows Software because you do actually need to be quite smart to use it.
You know Tony, I think you just might be on to something there! LOL

Actually, that brought an old memory up. Way back in umm... around 1980 I think (or in that area..) I met Bill Gates. He was holding a meeting for programmers in my area and I was invited to attend. I went with some other programmer friends and we were introduced to a new 'Shell' program called Windows. It was pretty but its functionality was almost non-existent. Bill showed us what he had and told us what he planned to do with it. We looked it over and gave him our conclusions.
It lacked power, you could not do 90% of what we could already do with DOS (which I think was about version 2 at the time), the windows themselves did not really do anything except make it easier to run a program. I had 3 or 4 Apples (including a Lisa and an original Mac) at the time and was doing the majority of my work on them. We were very nice to Mr. Gates and let him know that he would have to change his software to do some things (we gave him quite the list) and get it on at least 5000 machines to really be successful. Boy did we tell him. LOL

Later, Steve Woz did something really stupid and refused to license 3rd party developers and everyone went to PCs. I was a programmer and so I went to PCs as well. Eventually the only software I had for my Apples was games and everything else ran on PC. I've been a PC since.

Now, if Apple would make their OS more Techie friendly, and cut the price waaay back, then I might switch back.

Matt,
Yeah, it does take both to build a site like this. Thanks for reminding me. Like it or not, I'm going to need a Mac sometime in the future. Ugh. LOL

dennisg

Wed May 05, 2010 7:47 am

Andy,

With all due respect, after reading several of your posts over the months, I wonder if the two of us live on the same planet and observe the same events. Exactly who are you holding so responsible for the hype surrounding Apple products? Directing a snide comment (see: iHype) at Apple is just plain irrational. Blame Newsweek. Blame Time magazine. Blame CNN and the New York Times. They feed the public's insatiable desire for Apple products because they recognize these gizmos for what they are: cultural and technological phenomena. The public -- from Albania to Zimbabwe -- is clamoring to know more about these products, and the news sites and rumor mills are giving them what they want. And Apple? They don't spend a dime on public relations to make this happen.

Windows is only as good as it is because John Sculley licensed the Apple look and feel to Microsoft. All these great Android phones exist solely because the iPhone demonstrated what's possible on a multi-touch phone. Several computer companies make all-in-one computers these days in an effort to capture a market that the iMac created. And now we're going to see a bunch of iPad knock offs. When you look at this history, don't you feel embarrassed to say that Apple reinvents a bunch of stuff we already had?

Apple's never going to make cheap goods because the price they charge is a reflection of the quality of the goods they want to sell. It's part of their corporate strategy not to compete at the low end because they believe that's where crappy products live out their too-brief lives.

Andy, your anti-Apple bias is long established. There isn't a thread or a Tech Group post I've ever seen in which Apple products were discussed where you didn't 1) cite your vast and impressive credentials as a technology expert, and 2) rip into Apple with a litany of ill-informed arguments. Why don't you just let us enjoy our products without, time after time, implying that we're fools for our passions.

I want to apologize for helping to take this thread off the rails. Someone asked a very reasonable question about whether or not TG will provide iPad support. I can only say that I very much hope there will be. That will be the day I go from being someone who casually uses the TG site mostly for the camaraderie and motivation to someone who dives headlong into the lessons, which my current desk-bound setup won't easily allow.

TGMike

Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 am

I am definitely not an apple guy. I own ipods and an itouch. I think they are fantastic seamless pieces of technology. Very sexy stuff as far as hardware goes. No pun intended. I have built my own PC's forever. I love making crazy powerful game boxes that can also perform incredibly well running dreamweaver, photoshop, and whatever else i want to run.

The fact is overtime no matter how short or how long iPad is going to be widely accepted. There will be a growing user base most likely for years. I look forward to the second generation iPad as they definitely left some things out of this first one but it is still really cool.

When I can I will pick up the iPad. I just want the utility of an instant on device that weighs next to nothing when I want to chill out on the couch for a second or have instant access anywhere in the house without powering on my laptop or waiting to come out of sleep mode. Those little things mean a lot to me. It is light and thin and it definitely has a place in my home.

I think watching TG on your iPad without the bulk of a pc, laptop, or netbook would be cool. (Matt you can flog me again if I said too much ;) )

AndyT

Wed May 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Dennis,
I'm not an expert. I USED to be, but alas, that was some time ago as I have pointed out before. Things change and keeping up with technology today is more than a full time job. One which I don't do any longer.
My impressive creds are from yesteryear and are not really all that impressive. At least not to me.

Apple was a company all but dead for just the reasons I stated above. Jobs and Woz managed to find a way to turn it around and bring it back to life. (Or whomever it was, I seem to recall that Apple fired Steve and moved on) I had written them off years ago. Now they are making products that work and have an almost fanatical following. Good for them.

We all have a blind spot where we simply can not see the error of our ways. I suppose this is mine. I don't really hate Apple. I just can't see that technology has changed to the degree that everything is reversed from what it was for so long. I'll get over it, I know I will. And you're helping. LOL Discussions like these are quite cathartic and eventually I might even be a supporter, but don't bet the ranch on it.

If I have said that you are stupid for loving Apple products, then I apologize to you and anyone else that may have been offended. Calling people stupid is not part of who I am and if its sneaking in, I need to dam the flow. But stating that I fail to understand the furor over products that do less, albeit in a different and unique way, to my mind at least, is not calling anyone stupid except possibly myself. I think maybe you simply read more into it than I had put there. It happens. Not a problem. I'm not a master of the written word, nor the spoken one for that matter.

I've actually been waiting for someone to engage in conversation or debate over why Apple is no longer to be considered sub-standard, but I've yet to have any real takers. No, I never asked for it directly. One of my quirks, I like to throw stuff out and see who bites sometimes. My own sort of fishing expedition. My dearest friends have mostly come from these excursions.

So, please, don't be shy. Stop beating around the bush. Come to the point man. Spit it out. Just say it already. What do you really think?

:laugh:

heatndude

Wed May 05, 2010 2:43 pm

My wife and I own a Newer Mac book that we share. The word share is the kicker here. We almost have to schedule time for it so I was informed that she was buying me a IPad, But Tg wont work on it so she has to use it and I get the latop to myself. Either way I win lol. So i would be one member that would utilize Ipad compatible video etc.. We are big Apple fans only due to where work, both places use Apple systems and they work great hardly ever any problems what so ever. The IPhone is a wondefull little gadget and I honestly cant remember what life was like before we had it !!

Mark

sws626

Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Matt,

Although I don't have an iPad and don't plan on buying one, I do visit TG frequently on my mobile phone and find it annoying that the Flash videos are not viewable. So support for other video standards would be most welcome.

-Stuart

d_dog

Wed May 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey TGMatt and TGMike, I'm sure you guys are following the ensuing debacle over Flash video vs. HTML 5 wrappers and the video codecs that are used within, VP8, H.264, Ogg, WMV, so on and so forth. Are you leaning towards sticking with Flash for now until this all shakes out? I agree with the other comment that I would like to be able to watch the lesson videos on my iPhone, but is it a deal breaker, absolutely not, just would be a nice feature to have.
I hear that since Google's acquisition of On2 technologies they are going to make VP8 an open standard, would this be a tempting solution for you?

TGMatt

Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm

d_dog wrote:
Hey TGMatt and TGMike, I'm sure you guys are following the ensuing debacle over Flash video vs. HTML 5 wrappers and the video codecs that are used within, VP8, H.264, Ogg, WMV, so on and so forth. Are you leaning towards sticking with Flash for now until this all shakes out? I agree with the other comment that I would like to be able to watch the lesson videos on my iPhone, but is it a deal breaker, absolutely not, just would be a nice feature to have.
I hear that since Google's acquisition of On2 technologies they are going to make VP8 an open standard, would this be a tempting solution for you?
Html5 is also an issue..years away from doing all it needs..flash is going nowhere..3 damn protocols...and now codec nightmare aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here are 3 recent cool articles, read the comments, they are the best..and sometimes the most informed...

http://mashable.com/2010/05/03/apple-an ... flash-ban/

http://mashable.com/2010/05/05/android-tablet-flash/

http://mashable.com/2010/04/29/apple-flash-html5/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic