Will there be iPad support

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Max

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Just wondering if you think there's a chance that TG will support Apples new iPad? I think it would be great to be able to travel and still be connected to all the lessons.

I know TG uses Flash video for all of its lessons, therefore it won't work with the iPad or iPhone.

Steve Jobs wrote a public letter explaining his reasons for not supporting "Flash" in mobile devices, which made a lot of sense to me. Here's the link to his letter: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Thanks, Max

mcfingers

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks for the link to the article Max.
I too would like to be able to view lessons on a touch pad device, iPod-touch, iPhone or iPad. I hope there is a way to support these devices without a complete overhaul to TG videos.

Here's hoping,
Steve

TGMike

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 pm

While I cannot reveal the content of such discussions... such discussions have taken place behind the scenes here at TG. If you don't see me here anymore after this post... I said too much ;)

Max

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 pm

TGMike wrote:
While I cannot reveal the content of such discussions... such discussions have taken place behind the scenes here at TG. If you don't see me here anymore after this post... I said too much ;)
Glad to hear that it's open for discussion, this is some of what makes TG #1
Thanks, Max

TGMatt

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Ok...

couple of things...yes mike you said too much...

Here is a link to the original IPAD thread..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/24- ... vent#32514

Now I am an early adopter, the Flash letter from Steve is , well typical Steve..and as usual precludes a huge chunk or reality, truth and as usual overestimates the size of Apple in the real marketplace...

But leaving the issue aside for one moment..of Apple Vs the World..

We have very very few ipad users on here....and almost no iphone users who would actually use TG in its membership teaching capacity ...

It sounds cooler than it is..I am an iphone user..and rarely if ever would I ise it for this site..Ipad maybe ...

But despite all of those thoughts..and many more I have in the deep f the night as I stare at the ceiling..it is under review..

But lets be real here...

Truth only please..

How many of you actually have an Ipad or Iphone..Please only answer if you have one..

And how many of you in truth who has one of these devices would actually use it more than say 20% of the time for their TG fix...

Leave your responses here or in the other thread..

As I said we are still doing secret back room stuff..so this wont sway me one way or another...but I would love to see the real truth...( i have my stats already of course)

Thx all

Max

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:20 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Ok...

But lets be real here...

Truth only please..

How many of you actually have an Ipad or Iphone..Please only answer if you have one..

And how many of you in truth who has one of these devices would actually use it more than say 20% of the time for their TG fix...

Leave your responses here or in the other thread..

As I said we are still doing secret back room stuff..so this wont sway me one way or another...but I would love to see the real truth...( i have my stats already of course)

Thx all
I do have an iPhone and my iPad 3G is on order. The iPhone is as you say not an ideal platform for viewing TG video lessons, but I can definitely see myself with my iPad sitting outside on my deck in the summer almost everyday. Also I would be able to use it in my family room where my electric guitar and amp are set up. It would be great for when I'm out of town, or on vacation. So in answer to the percentage of time I would use the iPad, I think it would evolve into 100%. The ability to not bringing my acoustic into my home office to practice, "Priceless".

I realize that it's probably a real pain to convert all the videos, but I for one would be thrilled.

Thanks, Max

dennisg

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Matt,

The one thing that inhibits my usage of TG for lessons is the fact that I have a desktop computer, an L-shaped desk, and a little office in which it's nearly impossible to play the guitar. I don't yet have an iPad, but I will get one soon, and I promise you that 100% of my usage of TG for lesson purposes will be on that device. And my lesson viewing will increase exponentially.

hasben

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

my lesson viewing will increase exponentially:

So Dennis, you will be practicing twice a day? :laugh:

gchapel

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 am

I have an iphone and I have an ipad 3G on order.

Count me as one who would love to see this implemented for Totally Guitars.

I realize this would be quite an undertaking for Totally Guitars but I was surprised to see in the Apple store that all of the youtube videos worked on totally guitars. For instance, I could watch the daily news video from Neil or the student videos on the ipad.

Instead of completely redesigning the site, why not create an ipad app for the Apple store that would be similar to the youtube or netflix app. I would be willing to pay for such an app, like some of the other apps.

The ipad is a perfect companion for learning the guitar. It is small, portable, beautiful screen and there are many music apps already available, such as tab players, chord charts, scales, guitar tuner, metronome, drum kits, and synthesizers.

By the way Matt, the ipad is expected by most analysts to exceed sales of 7 million units by year end, and could approach over 50 million units by the end of 2011.

TGMatt

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 am

gchapel wrote:
I have an iphone and I have an ipad 3G on order.

Count me as one who would love to see this implemented for Totally Guitars.

I realize this would be quite an undertaking for Totally Guitars but I was surprised to see in the Apple store that all of the youtube videos worked on totally guitars. For instance, I could watch the daily news video from Neil or the student videos on the ipad.

Instead of completely redesigning the site, why not create an ipad app for the Apple store that would be similar to the youtube or netflix app. I would be willing to pay for such an app, like some of the other apps.

The ipad is a perfect companion for learning the guitar. It is small, portable, beautiful screen and there are many music apps already available, such as tab players, chord charts, scales, guitar tuner, metronome, drum kits, and synthesizers.

By the way Matt, the ipad is expected by most analysts to exceed sales of 7 million units by year end, and could approach over 50 million units by the end of 2011.
Ya I have thought about the ap idea..and maybe...and I am well aware of the volume projections..but ...I dont care how many are sold..I only care how many are sold to people who would and can use the site..and this actually precludes most of you...

Having said that..I am looking hard..and am spending a day with some apple folk on Friday in the valley ; ) so ya never know..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic