Will there be iPad support

Feel free to get outside the box here.
izzyhara

Sun May 02, 2010 10:29 am

I have a laptop where most of my TG stuff takes place. My husband has a small netbook computer that I thought would be really good and way more portable for TG lessons and such. However, I found the screen to be too small to really see the details in Neil's lessons, and found myself sticking with the laptop. I will not be one to get an IPad, although they are beautiful. I can see lots of cool features on them and I would hope that TG could respond to those who would like to use them. For me, I like everything in one place - ebooks, webcam and microphone, plus 300GB of storage for all the crap (oh I mean music) that I can possibly accumulate. So this will be fun to watch over the next few weeks. Someone will have to record a video of how they use their IPad to enhance their TG experience. I tend to forget how complex a website like this can be to manage and enhance to stay current with different and newer operating systems and hardware. Your efforts to stay on the cutting edge are appreciated. Iz

jerrbear

Sun May 02, 2010 7:32 pm

I would use iPad 99% of the time. That is the truth.

TGMatt

Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 am

Here is a great review on he new 3g you early adopters..

http://mashable.com/2010/05/02/ipad-3g- ... (Mashable)

AndyT

Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 am

I used to be a 'First adopter' and I loved Apple back in the day. But now all they do is re-invent stuff we already have, leave a few things out, put it in a new box (case) and charge way too much for it.

The iPad is more of the iHype and I won't be getting one unless its given to me as a gift. A notebook / laptop does everything the iThingie does and more. Why would I want something that does less? Even a netbook has more and better functionality.

I fail to understand why anyone would shell out hard earned money for something that is less than what they already have.

gchapel

Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 pm

AndyT wrote:
I used to be a 'First adopter' and I loved Apple back in the day. But now all they do is re-invent stuff we already have, leave a few things out, put it in a new box (case) and charge way too much for it.

The iPad is more of the iHype and I won't be getting one unless its given to me as a gift. A notebook / laptop does everything the iThingie does and more. Why would I want something that does less? Even a netbook has more and better functionality.

I fail to understand why anyone would shell out hard earned money for something that is less than what they already have.
Well to each his own, but I think you are doing a real disservice to the Apple ipad. If you haven't tried the new ipad in person then it is hard to realize that it really is a new category of device.

The ipad is much, much better than any netbook for general purpose usage such as internet browsing, ebook reading, video watching, emailing, gaming and small speciality apps. It is much more responsive than a netbook, the display is a very high quality ips LED backlit display that puts to shame a netbook display, ipad has built in GPS for navigation software, and the multi-touch interface makes the ipad a unique device. The ipad also has an 11 hour battery life, is lighter than a netbook, is more portable than a netbook, and is generally better built. Apple has done an amazing job pricing this device, considering the tech involved. In fact the HP Slate and the Microsoft Courier were cancelled after both companies had a chance to see the ipad and the pricing. They just couldn't compete.

The ipad is not a replacement for a laptop computer or a desktop computer. It is a different consumer device. You might not see the need for an ipad but is is a very good device for anyone who wants a well designed portable device for content consumption. A lot of people must agree because the ipad sold over a million units in 28 days. Compare that to 74 days for the iphone to sell a million units.

dennisg

Mon May 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Andy,

For your sake, I'm hoping no one burdens you with an iPad as a gift. It is, after all, just a reinvention of technologies and processes you already enjoy, so what would be the point of foisting all that ugly duplication on you.

Really, I want to fess up to something I know you've long suspected: the millions of us who buy Apple products are nothing but mindless zombies who will rip our credit cards out of our wallets at the mere mention of a new product. We can't help ourselves. We're idiots, and we have no control.

Andy, what's it like to have all the answers?

d_dog

Tue May 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I do love Apple products, but don't get me wrong, I don't/didn't drink the cool-aid. I simply found that OSX and the Apple ecosystem suits my needs better than a Windows based system. I have a owned Windows machines for years, and frustratingly so. I have found that over the 2 years since I have switched to Apple products, those being an iMac, MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3GS, I am more productive, I can work faster and more efficiently and my devices are seamlessly connected in anyway and from anywhere I need them to be, no crashes, no incompatibilities, no headaches, it just works. The hardware is built better for the most part than their Windows counterparts and they are more durable. I will grant that in these last 2 years, Windows has taken a huge leap forward with the now fixed Vista and, from what I hear, great Windows 7. So, I may be largely biasing my opinion based on Windows XP and early Vista, but that's what I knew at the time, and it wasn't good.
Well back to the topic, as for iPad, I probably won't get one. It doesn't fit in my life anywhere. It won't replace my laptop or desktop. My desktop is my audio and video workstation with audio and video hardware and software that the iPad can't duplicate. And my laptop is my work/travel machine. I need the software environment that an OS provides that I can't get on the iPad. I think the iPad is awesome, I think it's not meant to replace anything in my life because of my use cases. I do think that it's a "new" thing. It isn't that I wouldn't put it to use, quite the contrary, but I just can't find it's usefulness in my life. If I didn't already have a MacBook or an iPhone, then yes, absolutely I would get one, for sure, and I would absolutely want to watch guitar lessons and videos on it. It would be a killer fun and useful tool for that purpose, but really no "better" than my laptop. So until it matures a bit, maybe the app's, that will continue to grow, will create a usefulness for me, until then, I'll wait.

mcfingers

Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Like others, I have used both platforms. I, unlike most others started with Apple back in the Apple IIe days, I have used Mac's in there various incarnations ever since. I currently use a MacBook Pro for teaching and a 20" Aluminum iMac at home. I also have had to start using a Dell computer running Windows somethingorother at school. The Dell works OK and has not given me any problems, of course all I do on the thing is log on to the district server and take roll. No internet, no email, no programs, just attendance. I admit not a very fair basis for comparison. Being a public school environment with my Mac I never have to worry about all the other crap that seems to plague my colleagues. In 20 years of using Macs I have never had a virus or spyware or any issue that I wasn't able to fix right away.
They just work.

As for the iPad, I don't know what they are for, I know what they are supposed to be for but I think it's device waiting for users to define it's roll. Imagination will dictate it's place in the consumer market and it should be exciting. IMO.

Steve

AndyT

Wed May 05, 2010 12:04 am

Dennis,
I'm sure there is a place where you can get treatment for your condition. AA, Apple Anon.. LOL

As for having all the answers, I don't have them all, just many that apply to me.

I fully realize that Apple has a loyal following and I used to be one of them, but a notebook of equal power costa me almost twice as much as I can get a PC for. I very rarely have any kind of issues with PC's except when they have been serving so long they are actually coming apart at the seams. My current computer is now 7 years old and is still running strong. The main problem is that it is no longer upgradeable and is on the trailing edge of what is still supported. I can't get parts for it anymore. And it is starting to come apart. The sound card is now having problems. (as I outlined in my blog)

I've played with Macs in stores and I simply do not like the OS. It's not configurable enough for me. I don't like the browser, and the interface is not appealing to me. Other than that, it's likely a fine system. My biggest complaint is all the hype. I have always hated companies that over hype stuff and then we are so disappointed when we get it. I don't watch TV (maybe 2 hours a week tops), so I don't have to put up with commercials that tout this or that as the next greatest thing, but Apple's marketing group has penetrated the net so deeply that I simply can not avoid all the hype. I hate that.

Anyway....

If you feel the overwhelming need to own this thing, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm happy for you. Just don't ask me to understand it. Except Dennis... Come now Dennis, Have a seat on the couch... Lets talk... LOL

tovo

Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 am

Thought about staying out of the Windows vs Apple debate but I'm going to throw a few cents worth in. Why not.

Apple hardware is expensive I would agree entirely. I would offer an analogy that an Aston Martin and a Volkswagen are both cars, but that's where the comparison ends. Similarly, the build quality of Apple hardware is highly impressive.

I can accept that someone (like you Andy) isn't going to use an OS that they don't find intuitive. Why would you? For mine, Apple OS is light years ahead of Windows in usability. I always use the example of installing and uninstalling applications as a basis of comparison. On an Apple OS it's so simple that the first time I did it, I couldn't believe I had completed the task. I find Apple OS very logical and intuitive. That's not a challenge to anyone, just my opinion. I also find Apple software much more stable and reliable.

I sometimes think that highly computer literate people (geeks I think they are called ;) ) take some kind of perverse pleasure from Windows Software because you do actually need to be quite smart to use it. Makes them feel special perhaps. Apple appeals very much to people that are more interested in results than process. That's my take. Absolutely no offence (or offense) to anyone intended, although some may be taken.

On iPad it's not released here yet for the reason it's been so ridiculously popular in the USA. They have delayed International release a couple of times. It seems for every person who doesn't like it, there are plenty of others who do. In a World of capitalism, Apple is gold.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic