Time to say goodbye

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dennisg

Sat May 22, 2010 7:07 am

Brian,

I think you under-exaggerate the negative effects of video downloading and over-exaggerate the consequences of restricting it. I'm willing to bet that TG would lose far more customers if the site's content were suddenly made available for free on YouTube than it would by restricting downloading access to its existing customers.

I can understand your situation, and I have sympathy for why this policy would frustrate you. But I think it's a smart business decision on TG's part.

Music Junkie

Sat May 22, 2010 9:27 am

dennisg wrote:
Brian,

I think you under-exaggerate the negative effects of video downloading and over-exaggerate the consequences of restricting it. I'm willing to bet that TG would lose far more customers if the site's content were suddenly made available for free on YouTube than it would by restricting downloading access to its existing customers.

I can understand your situation, and I have sympathy for why this policy would frustrate you. But I think it's a smart business decision on TG's part.
Dennis:

I agree. I would love to be able to download the clips and put them on a DVD to watch any time I want, but I don't because I have a good thing here for $20.00/mo.... B)

If people can get it for free, they will. Maybe not all of them, but too many to let it happen. :)

Jason

dieguy

Sat May 22, 2010 11:53 am

wizzibiz wrote:

There are plenty of systems out there that will capture streaming video, but I have chosen not to go that route because it is not morally right to do that.

Brian
Brian Just a thought. The guys from TG can correct me here if I am way off base but I can not believe there would be any morality issues to capture a streaming video for your own personal use. I think the issue comes when people try to distribute these captured videos. I liken it to my teen years when I would tape songs off of the radio onto a cassette for me to listen to later, was that immoral? Or what about video taping or using the DVR to record a movie to watch later. Even with all of the issues with pirated music these days, If I am not mistaken the people that have found themselves in trouble are the people offering up the music to others.

Obviously I am not condoning illegal or unethical activity here but if there is no distribution I can't see a problem. But obviously I am not a lawyer or a judge this is just my opinion.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sat May 22, 2010 4:01 pm

dieguy wrote:
wizzibiz wrote:

There are plenty of systems out there that will capture streaming video, but I have chosen not to go that route because it is not morally right to do that.

Brian
Brian Just a thought. The guys from TG can correct me here if I am way off base but I can not believe there would be any morality issues to capture a streaming video for your own personal use. I think the issue comes when people try to distribute these captured videos. I liken it to my teen years when I would tape songs off of the radio onto a cassette for me to listen to later, was that immoral? Or what about video taping or using the DVR to record a movie to watch later. Even with all of the issues with pirated music these days, If I am not mistaken the people that have found themselves in trouble are the people offering up the music to others.

Obviously I am not condoning illegal or unethical activity here but if there is no distribution I can't see a problem. But obviously I am not a lawyer or a judge this is just my opinion.

Bill

As someone who has a very slow broadband connection, its a NZ issue not my ISP. I would love the ability to download videos. As Bill here has pointed out its only an issue if pirates onsell the product surely. As the TARGET video lessons are only available to paying TARGET members and if TG restricted each member to limited downloads say either per day or per video, (a site I used to belong to did this and it seemed to work for them), would that not work for TG and its members. Fast broadband is coming to NZ but even though they have put the pipes to carry the fibre cable in its still a few years away I understand while the Govt sorts out the tenders for the work. So my situation is a bit like Brians, I am a paying member and can't get full value from the lessons. Certain times of day I note they stream faster but hey i'm not getting up at 3.00am every day lol!! My playing improved outa sight when the site used You Tube vids all the time as you could copy them, I know a lot of people did and hey i ddin't sell them on!

Moondog

Sat May 22, 2010 10:13 pm

I think the problem would be getting all the content of this web site for 1 months fee. People would join, download everything, then quit. If TG let people download its content they would lose money.

My $0.02

Mike

AndyT

Sat May 22, 2010 10:40 pm

The morality comes in when the producer of the video places a restriction on it.

If I make a video and put it on YouTube and just let anyone download it, then its not a big deal. There is no moral issue.
If I create a video and put it on YouTube but have a short bit on the front of it asking that it not be copied, then morals enter the picture.

Where the video is hosted is not the issue. The fact that the owner/creator of the video has asked that we do not copy it is what makes it wrong to do so.

There was a case in court some time ago where the defendant was found guilty and the judges remarks went something like this;

"You followed the letter of the law, but you failed to follow its spirit."

So, you can be 'legal' and still be very wrong. Morals were very much a part of our society, but that has changed over the last couple of generations. Soon, it will be a word that very few even know what it means.

Lavallee

Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 pm

To keep in line the people who would download the videos (if it was allowed by TG and easy to do) , I would suggest to have the name of the person and city in good size font embedded in the video (if there is a way not to edit the video once downloaded) . It would be embarrassing to have your name in the video shown on Youtube especially since it would not be legal. It would encourage people to be honest. There could be some fee for the extra work and prevent too many people to ask for it unless they need it.

Just a suggestion, I do not need it myself

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic