Question about Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced lessons.

Feel free to get outside the box here.
findaren

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm trying to work my way through the Beginner lessons and frequently come across Neil saying I hope you've been practicing X drill. Since it seems that all of the lessons are listed in alphabetical order, is there any type of loose direction on an order that the lessons should be watched in?

Personally I liked the way the first ones (Beginner 1-5) are organized where one lesson seems to build onto the next. There is alot of good information here, just a bit mystified as to where to go onto next.

Thanks

Lavallee

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Welcome to TG from Montreal, Canada.

If you look in the master menu, just above the forum button (upper left) of this page, it will open another page from which select Target program, the lessons are listed and you will see a number on the right hand side . 1 is easiest and 10 would be the toughest (there are only 9s). Selecting a song should not only be for technical reason, but because it is fun. You might try something a little more advanced and work on it for longer time because you really like the song and you can still work on other songs that are a logical progression

If you have a question about any song, just ask in the forum, someone will be familiar with and will help

Hope to read you in the forum

Marc

findaren

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I understand the song difficulty ratings well enough, I was looking at the Beginner Lessons type area. Even here where you directed me its sorted first by date of post then alphebetically.

I'm really looking to start back at the basics, build my basic techniques(correctly this time) and use the lessons to drive practice sessions beyond learning to play individual songs. Don't get me wrong, the individual song and their grading are great suppliments to excercise my new skills and expand my understanding of song construction. But I feel I'd be going about this all wrong if I just focused on learning the songs one off rather than learning and perfecting the underlying techniques so that I can go on to play other songs that might not get covered here. The techniques section is good, I was just wondering if there was an order to them listed here that I missed.

Examples:

Neil specifically in "Changing Chords: Lead Finger - May 3, 09" mentions "So hopefully you've been working on the squeezing and lifting drills so that..." and there is no indication outside of that quick mention in the video that I can find showing "Fingering Chords: Squeeze & Lift Drills - May 3, 09" comes before that lesson. I would also assume that "Bar Chords - May 3, 09" comes before "Changing To Bar Chords - May 3, 09" but there is no indicator of that. It seems that when the site was redone that some of that original ordering might have been lost if it existed to begin with.

If I somehow misinterpreted your answer I apologize and thank you for the response.

Lavallee

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm

I guess that you are looking for some kind of time line to follow in a step by step mode or a method in a book. I do not think it is part of Target . I did ask for that a while ago. Maybe you could make it an official suggestion in new a Thread specific to a linear direction instructions like numerating the lessons, starting from holding the guitar and up.

Marc

AndyT

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 am

I think its in Beginner lesson 1 which part I'm not sure where Neil first teaches you the squeeze and lift drill. You should start there and slowly work your way through them. Mix them up with the Acoustic Genius series. By the time you finish the first 5 and the AC series, you should be in pretty good shape. Then move on to the intermediate lessons.

Thru all of this, you add songs that have low ratings because they are teaching fundamental techniques and you need to learn and master them before you really get in over your head. You can start on ANY song no matter what the rating, but by going in the order they are rated, you will save yourself some serious aggravation.

I didn't look, but if you're not a Target member, you will not have access to all of this. Joining Target is a very wise choice in your guitar education. It will help you to get straightened out on the things that mess up guitar players all the time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic