Features Wishlist

Feel free to get outside the box here.
AndyT

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 am

There has been a few comments here and there asking for this feature or that feature. Matt has said that TG is getting ready for a major redesign.

The very best way to create the structure for a website like this is to design in everything you can think of that you might possibly use, now and as far into the future as you can see.

I've done quite a bit of database work, so I'll put together the skeleton if everyone starts giving me a list of the features that they would like to see. Don't hold back now, indulge yourself. Its better to hear it now when it can be added easily than later once the structure is built.

For example;
I would love to have my own personal 'Homepage' when I login that shows me the updates and other items I have chosen. I want to be able to change the layout (within a set of choices), colors... you get my drift. If you want to see a great example of this, look at customizing your own Google or Yahoo homepage. And Yes, TG CAN build this if its added to the structure now and not later. Its a matter of planning, not money. (but money helps it happen faster! LOL)

I would like to be able to have the lessons I'm working on in a small box on my homepage so I can just click them and not have to go thru menus. I would also like to be able to make that part of my 'Public' profile. People would be able to see what I'm working on.

Or being able to search based on 'Fingerpicking' or 'Strumming' songs... Or song level...

So, lets have your list of goodies. Post them in this thread. If TG is going to have a major redesign, then lets help make it the best we possibly can. Once I have the skeleton built, I'll give a copy of it to Matt and he can use it or not. That is up to him.

EDIT:

ALL TG STAFF: Please add your wish list. It needs to be added upfront as well. Or email it to me if you like.

Please be aware that this is the skeleton of the site. the possible features it can offer, NOT what it will look like. TG can retain it's distinctive look and it will actually be easier to maintain.

AndyT

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:26 am

I have already started the framework.

ffsooo3

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 am

I'd like to be able to find a member's uploaded video. I'd like to be able to go to a member's profile page and see all their videos they've uploaded (in a post, on the TargetStudentReview channel, in the competitions, etc.). And to be able to do a search on users who have uploaded videos.

TGMatt

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:33 pm

AndyT wrote:
There has been a few comments here and there asking for this feature or that feature. Matt has said that TG is getting ready for a major redesign.

The very best way to create the structure for a website like this is to design in everything you can think of that you might possibly use, now and as far into the future as you can see.

I've done quite a bit of database work, so I'll put together the skeleton if everyone starts giving me a list of the features that they would like to see. Don't hold back now, indulge yourself. Its better to hear it now when it can be added easily than later once the structure is built.

For example;
I would love to have my own personal 'Homepage' when I login that shows me the updates and other items I have chosen. I want to be able to change the layout (within a set of choices), colors... you get my drift. If you want to see a great example of this, look at customizing your own Google or Yahoo homepage. And Yes, TG CAN build this if its added to the structure now and not later. Its a matter of planning, not money. (but money helps it happen faster! LOL)

I would like to be able to have the lessons I'm working on in a small box on my homepage so I can just click them and not have to go thru menus. I would also like to be able to make that part of my 'Public' profile. People would be able to see what I'm working on.

Or being able to search based on 'Fingerpicking' or 'Strumming' songs... Or song level...

So, lets have your list of goodies. Post them in this thread. If TG is going to have a major redesign, then lets help make it the best we possibly can. Once I have the skeleton built, I'll give a copy of it to Matt and he can use it or not. That is up to him.

EDIT:

ALL TG STAFF: Please add your wish list. It needs to be added upfront as well. Or email it to me if you like.

Please be aware that this is the skeleton of the site. the possible features it can offer, NOT what it will look like. TG can retain it's distinctive look and it will actually be easier to maintain.
Andy

I appreciate your enthusiasm..and of course will look at everything everyone suggests..

We will not be posting our stuff here..

and just gently , we are not Yahoo or google, some of the suggestions are next to impossible without a boatload of money...and a huge team..

Customizable landing pages for instance..

Understanding Context is not easy to do,...we have a lot going on here..cotent, membership, community, news, etc etc..it is embedded within the site, not just a visual shuffle..

Some things can be done and are in plans..

Just to be clear on something I mentioned earlier..we were looking at a design change..not a redesign of the site...

But as always I am interested in what folks have to say

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 pm

I for one can't think of anything major required, other than the search definition as proposed by Theresehopeyet.

Also given it is fairly obvious there are a large number of computer newbies as members, you just have to read many of the posts and intros to see that, too much change might be daunting. With that in mind i'd keep changes/upgrades to design subtle and not too many at a time.

BigBear

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 pm

I must have missed the memo but I don't see what's wrong with this format. It keeps getting better and continues to address member concerns. It may need some minor surgery but certainly not with a meat clever!

And this sorting function is getting overblown as well. We can take sorting to the point of absurdity. Everybody has their own wants as far as sorting and no format even a complete re-write, will satisfy everyone. It's just the nature of the beast!

This site is all about the content, which remains remarkably high. Everything else is just frosting!

I know I'm old and grumpy but I vote to leave well enough alone. I don't do change well. except when it adds to the music, like the new riff diagram on the charts. Now that's useful change!! :cheer:

6stringbostic

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:27 am

as a target member i would like to be able to skip:
1. the ads for streaming packages
2. the intro videos asking me to join target
3. the main splash/home page asking me to join target
all of course after i've logged in 8-)

i would also like to be able to search and sort by difficulty level

also would like to see difficulty level consistently displayed on every song - some are missing once you're inside the song and you have to go back to the master menu list sometimes to even see them

perhaps split the difficulty level up as f2 for fingerpicking level 2 versuse s2 for strumming level 2. recently it was revealed by Neil that there are actually these TWO DIFFERENT difficulty level scales which was new to me and not evident anywhere i could find on the site.

as mentioned before, i would like to see lists of posts and video uploads for a user when i go to their profile.

that's all for now - keep up the good work TG!

dennisg

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 am

I'm pretty happy with how the site is laid out. My one wish is that it would remember my login information from day to day.

tom18

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:03 pm

dennisg wrote:
I'm pretty happy with how the site is laid out. My one wish is that it would remember my login information from day to day.
Dennis,
My login information is remembered. All I have to do is click on the "Login" button on the upper right of the home page. I'm using Firefox v3.6.3. I suspect it is remembering the info for me.
Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic