I'm trying to figure out David Wilcox's "Guitar Shopping"

Feel free to get outside the box here.
aejbmarx

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Trying to learn to play David Wilcox's "Guitar Shopping". I tend to learn quickest (though not most accurately) by ear, but that means I miss some of the fingerwork. Fill me in on some areas to improve this piece. Thanks. - John

Yamaha48

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello John.

Im not fammylaire with this song
But fore me,sounds it lovely.
You have a nice voice to sing.
Thanks fore sharing.
greetz Anton

tovo

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey John. That was nice. Never heard the song before so can't offer any playing advice but you looked relaxed and comfortable. As a performance it would have been so much better to see your face. It's a little off-putting to see just a mouth! :)

ffsooo3

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Hey John, I think you're coming along fine. I'd play it a litle slower and would suggest working with a metronome (for more consistent timing) or playing along with this version of David's song:

AndyT

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Very nice. I agree that you should use a metronome. I would slow it down a bit to give the lyrics more punch. You went thru them a bit too quickly and they lost some of the emotional impact.

Strumming and fingerwork was good with the exception of your thumb. I also suffer from the same malady. (Excessive thumb) We just have to work that much harder to get the thing under control. Actually, I think with your thumb that high up that your palm must be very close to the neck if not touching. Bringing it down will give you more clearance and a greater reach.

Good singing, nice tune, solid rhythm, I give it a 6. LOL (Shades of American Bandstand)

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:59 am

NOt familiar either but I think in comparison to the vid ffsooo3 put up , you might be a bit fast and I think the emphasis on the percussive downstroke is sort of the signature sound I hear coming through in this song by DW. But hey if you learn this by ear well done, thats something I struggle with.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic