Strumming on "Serenade" by The Steve Miller Band

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Music Junkie

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:13 am

Hey all:

I had asked this question for the last TG live, but in watching the replay, I see that it is not a likable song for Neil (even though it WAS Pre-Abracadabra.... ;) )... :) :) :)

I have a good set of chords for the song, but was just looking for some feedback on the strumming pattern from some of you out there. I have used the following with some luck:

D U D U U D U D U D U U D U

It also sounds like it could be some sort of Rumba pattern.... :unsure:

Anyway, here is the song, and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

tovo

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

MJ yours seems OK. Whatever the pattern, it's FAST. Nice if you are on a first date, not so easy for playing a tune.

Cool video clip by the way.

BobR

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Jason,

I was waiting for you to play :laugh: Yeah I was not able to see the live show and I just saw the replay today. I like the song. No abracadabra HMMM TomP like??

BOb

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Tony: Thanks man. When I play that pattern, it sounds kind of close, but not quite right. It IS awful fast for me. Guess some more practice is in order. It is also a good workout for the barre chords.... :)

Bob: LOL!!!! You'll be waiting a while for me to play this one.... B) I have always liked this song too. Along with Winter Time (a great little song to practice arpeggios). Steve Miller Band had some great old songs. I have to admit, that I kind of lost touch about the time that Abracadabra came out too..... :) Wild Mountain Honey is another sweet tune they did. They are going to play here locally in a month or two. Thinking about going to see them. Just not really interested in the opening act - Los Lobos... :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate your time.

J

BigBear

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 am

Jason- I HATE STEVE MILLER!! I hated them in college and I still hate their music!! I'd rather listen to Barry Manilow. Well, maybe not Barry but fingernails on a chalk board?

You couldn't play it any worst than Stevie did!! rofl!! :silly:

Lavallee

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:20 am

I am with you, Jason, I always liked Steve Miller kind of ballads. Serenade is an intersting song. I will try to find that rhythm as well, sounds fun to play.

Marc

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am

BigBear wrote:
Jason- I HATE STEVE MILLER!! I hated them in college and I still hate their music!! I'd rather listen to Barry Manilow. Well, maybe not Barry but fingernails on a chalk board?

Rick:

Come on dude! Don't hold back, tell me how you really feel...... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Now, my mom made me listen to Barry Manilow when I was growing up. I remember her cleaning house with the song "Looks Like We Made It" blaring in the background...... :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jeez, man, you really need to learn to fully express your true feelings...... :laugh: :laugh:

J

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 am

Lavallee wrote:
I am with you, Jason, I always liked Steve Miller kind of ballads. Serenade is an interesting song. I will try to find that rhythm as well, sounds fun to play.

Marc
Marc:

If you want, here are the chords:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/s ... de_crd.htm

It is not a great chart, but it gives the feel, and it is a fairly simple song musically. Just a fast strum.

Like I mentioned above, Wintertime is very easy as well. It is pretty much an Am arpeggio (capo at I, so it is really a Bbm, but you know what I mean). It progresses from an Am to Am with G in the bass to Am with F in the bass. Your pinkie can pick up the G and then your thumb can pick up the F. Sounds much better with the little bit of background music, but you can still tell it is the song....

J

BigBear

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 am

Music Junkie wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Rick:

Come on dude! Don't hold back, tell me how you really feel...... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Now, my mom made me listen to Barry Manilow when I was growing up. I remember her cleaning house with the song "Looks Like We Made It" blaring in the background...... :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jeez, man, you really need to learn to fully express your true feelings...... :laugh: :laugh:

J

ROFLMAO!! I just wanted to see if you were listening! :silly: :silly: Steve Miller for Mayor!! :woohoo:

Lavallee

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Jason thanks for the link to the chords. It seems to be for a measure DDUDUD DDUDUD all the time with a strong emphasis on the first beat and third beat.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic