4th of July

Feel free to get outside the box here.
wammer

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Max wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
It is Canada Day today, wonder which song we could use? Not the Southpark song please ;)

Marc
Lots, of good Canadian artist, K. D. Lang, Joni Mitchell, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Robbie Robertson.
Wonder if they wrote anything patriotic for Canada???
Patriotism is not a strong concept in Canada. We are happy to be Canadian and life is good.

Marc
Here Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tammy

tom18

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:14 am

haoli25 wrote:
American Woman??? :laugh:
How about "American Girl?" :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:49 am

...my favourite version of AMERICAN WOMAN......

...and somebody has to explain to me some day why, in America, the land of the free, you can't have a point of view different to the conservative one without losing your right to be a patriot. Just a thought (and a bit of Bear-bating) which I don't need answering here... hate to spoil the up-coming party. ;-) Nice day all!

BigBear

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...and somebody has to explain to me some day why, in America, the land of the free, you can't have a point of view different to the conservative one without losing your right to be a patriot. Just a thought (and a bit of Bear-bating) which I don't need answering here... hate to spoil the up-coming party. ;-) Nice day all!

Chris- I would be delighted to have this debate with you anytime, anywhere but not here. This great country has an ultra-liberal media that promotes our current leader as someone that he is clearly not. And villfies our previous leader as someone he was not either. The truth about both is incredibly complex and probably lies somewhere in between the conservative and liberal views.

Unfortunately, the information that makes it way to Europe is hopelessly skewed to the left starting with the AP and Reuters. That makes any conservative view you hear as sounding shrill and out of touch with the mainstream.

American politics, like many other countries, has a history of jerking to the left politically, then right, then left as the voting public perceives the current leader as hopelessly inept and out of touch. Anyone with moderate views gets swallowed up by both the far left and far right. Even right now, whenever our current leader tries to find common ground in the middle, the far left hammers him for not being liberal enough. So as a committed, and self-admitted liberal, why even try?

So my friend, I strongly believe that it would be incredibly hard for anyone living outside this country to have a real debate on American politics just as I couldn't adequately debate English, German, Swiss or anyone else's political systems, although I have a casual understanding of all of them.

So while I didn't take your bait fully, I did have a little nibble! As we say to our liberal friends- Keep drinkin' the Kool Aid!!

Cheers! :cheer:

haoli25

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm

BigBear wrote:
This great country has an ultra-liberal media that promotes our current leader as someone that he is clearly not. And villfies our previous leader as someone he was not either.

Where did you get that info, Rick? Wikipedia? MOST of the media in the US is owned by; Time-Warner, Citadel, Viacom. CBS Corp., NBC Universal, Gannett, etc. The board of directors and the stockholders are among the most conservative companies in the US. Always have been and always will be. Despite their conservative leanings, they do a pretty fair job of reporting the news.
The followers of Leroy Lenin are sure that any reporting that is not in tune with their political agenda is surely a 'conservative plot'. The conservatives are equally sure that any of the reports of the fumblings of the former President Jethro Bodine is all a result of the 'liberal media'.

If you want better reporting, get better candidates.

Bill

BigBear

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:46 pm

haoli25 wrote:
BigBear wrote:
This great country has an ultra-liberal media that promotes our current leader as someone that he is clearly not. And villfies our previous leader as someone he was not either.

Where did you get that info, Rick? Wikipedia? MOST of the media in the US is owned by; Time-Warner, Citadel, Viacom. CBS Corp., NBC Universal, Gannett, etc. The board of directors and the stockholders are among the most conservative companies in the US. Always have been and always will be. Despite their conservative leanings, they do a pretty fair job of reporting the news.
The followers of Leroy Lenin are sure that any reporting that is not in tune with their political agenda is surely a 'conservative plot'. The conservatives are equally sure that any of the reports of the fumblings of the former President Jethro Bodine is all a result of the 'liberal media'.

If you want better reporting, get better candidates.

Bill

NBC, CBS, and Time Warner the most conservatve companies in the country? Are you kidding me? NBC is owned by GE whose CEO is Jeffrey Immelt who is one of the most liberal CEO's in history!! And Jeff Zucker, NBC's Presidenbt And CEO is a conservative? He was one of Obama's most outspoken supporters!

Bill, you better quit drinking the Kool-Aid buddy!! Immelt has spent almost as much time in the Lincoln bedroom as the president of the SEIU has, all courtesy of the current occupant!

By the way, since you mentioned Wikipedia, which I didn't reference until you suggested it, I should note that in February 2009 Immelt was appointed to Obama's President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board. This I presume was due to his extraordinary skills in managing GE's stock value which has declined 60% since he took over as CEO. Well done! I love political humor!

This also from Wiki:

A 2002 study by Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers found that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints.[29] They found that reporters expressing moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view.[29] Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.

Studies finding a perception of liberal bias in the media are not limited to studies of print media. A joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that viewers believe that liberal media bias can be found in television news by networks such as CNN.[30] These findings concerning a perception of liberal bias in television news – particularly at CNN - are also reported by other sources.

or

"An academic study cited frequently showing a liberal media bias in American journalism is The Media Elite,* a 1986 book co-authored by political scientists Robert Lichter, Stanley Rothman, and Linda Lichter. They surveyed journalists at national media outlets such as the New York Times, Washington Post, and the broadcast networks. The survey found that most of these journalists were Democratic voters whose attitudes were well to the left of the general public on a variety of topics, including such hot-button social issues such as abortion, affirmative action, and gay rights. Then they compared journalists' attitudes to their coverage of controversial issues such as the safety of nuclear power, school busing to promote racial integration, and the energy crisis of the 1970s.

The authors concluded that journalists' coverage of controversial issues reflected their own attitudes, and the predominance of political liberals in newsrooms therefore pushed news coverage in a liberal direction. They presented this tilt as a mostly unconscious process of like-minded individuals projecting their shared assumptions onto their interpretations of reality."

I doubt that liberal bias is ever "unconscious" as cited above but at least they are honest enough to admit the bias. Even the liberal media admits that there is a liberal bias. George Soros and MoveOn.org, Huffington Post, Time, Newsweek, the New York Times, CNN, MSNBC... Are you kidding me? Please tell me you didn't suggest that the news in this country is anything but totally left-leaning!

There is one conservative voice in the media, Fox News and Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch. Take that away and the conservative TV voices get pretty small.

If you are talking about talk radio, there are many more conservative voices. But that's because Air America bombed and the average person doesn't want to listen to Jeanne Garofalo and Al Franken!!

The liberal press has given our current "leader" a hall pass for a year and a half. Now that we see what "hope and change" really means they are turning against him in a big way. Isn't irony great?!

Unless you are Eric Alterman, even a casual observer would conclude very shortly that the media is very strongly left-leaning.

I do agree with you that we need much better candidates and much better informed voters. The combination is catastrophic!!

Enough of this subject!! I'm not supposed to get into these discussions! :cheer:

jim56

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:00 pm

You did take the bait Rick, :kiss: lol

haoli25

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Nice try, Rick, nice try! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TGMatt

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:16 pm

And so gents..to stick to a general policy ...lets end the political discussions and stick to music

Thx folks

sws626

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Just a few more hours in the US, so I'll sneak in a another suggestion. Paul Simon's 'American Tune' would be a welcome lesson.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic