Marker for last lesson video viewed?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
Hydroman52

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:28 am

Perhaps it is the getting older/memory thing. I'm having a bit of frustration in remembering what video I just played while stepping through lessons. When I practice, I'll watch a video, practice what I just saw until I feel comfortable with it, and then move on to the next video in the lesson. Here is the problem . . . . after 10 - 30 minutes of practice, it's difficult to remember which video that I just watched and, consequently, which one to click on to watch next. There seems to be no marker or anything that indicates which video that you just watched, or am I missing something?

What do you do to step through the lessons and not lose your place while practicing?

If something isn't already there, could it be added?

buddy

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I add it to my browser's favorites folder and then it is just a click away.

michelew

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 pm

I've had that problem too Jerry. A colour change for the link would presumably solve it. I have no idea how difficult that would be so I'm talking from a position of ignorance about the amount of work involved.

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

buddy wrote:
I add it to my browser's favorites folder and then it is just a click away.
Buddy,

Thanks for the great tip (I will use it in the future), and while this is very helpful in keeping track of the lessons a person is working on, it doesn't seem to be able to keep track of the videos within the lesson. I was thinking about something similar to the page navigating in the forums where you can click on the page number and the page that you are currently viewing is highlighted differently from the others in some way. And if the world were perfect, it may have a Previous< >Next selection. Here is an example of what I am thinking . . . . .

In the Fundamentals II - Major Scales & Patterns lesson there are six individual videos. The Index looks like this:

Lesson Index

Part 1: Major Scales I
Part 2: Major Scales II
Part 3: Major Scales III
Part 4: Major Scales IV
Part 5: Major Scale Patterns I
Part 6: Major Scale Patterns II

Let's say that I am watching Part 3: Major Scales III and, after it's done playing, I decide to go to to the kitchen for some milk and cookies. Then I sit down and practice what I just saw for 20 minutes. Now I decide to watch the next video. Enough time has passed so that I have forgotten which video that I was watching (doesn't happen all the time, but enough), and the lesson index still looks like this:

Lesson Index

Which video do I click on to watch the next one in the series? The only way for me to figure out which one I just watched is to click on the "Play again" button in the video area and wait until the title rolls around. What I am thinking is that the last video that was played in the session would be highlighted in some way and, in my example, might look something like this:

Lesson Index

Previous > Next

I hope this makes sense, otherwise, I can just sit down and shut up.

TGMatt

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 pm

I wanted to change the menu setup similar to what you have proposed..and I will look at the colour idea..we actually began retrofitting the site with a bunch of new features last week and have a couple of upgrades to go so once this has finished we can see if we have that capacity naturally inherant in the system

Thx

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Michelle,

Looks like I was still composing while you were posting. And you are correct. It looks like a simple thing to do, but the programming behind the scenes to accomplish it could be huge. Then again . . . . it might be only one or two lines of code.

It's just a suggestion that would allow a person to concentrate more on the lessons than navigating to find them. I appreciate your chiming in here so I don't feel like I am the only crazy person on the site . . . . now we know there are at least two crazy people here. HA!

Hydroman52

. . . . . . . . >{ . . . . . . . . >{ . . . . . . >{ . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . } . . . . . . . . } . . . . . . . . } . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . } . . . . . . . . . . . . . } . . . . . . . } . . . .

. . . . >{ . . . . . . >{ . . . . . . . . . . >{ . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . >{ . . . . . . . . . . . . >{ . . .

Hydroman52

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Matt,

Thanks for looking out for us! It's greatly appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic