Strumming Patterns ok - my mistake

Feel free to get outside the box here.
dieguy

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:31 am

I am a beginner working with the lessons. Strumming is emphasized throughout by Neil, however on some song lessons you have to figure it out by yourself. At this point I don't have the skill or time to work it out. Each song should have a recommended strum pattern with it. This is a great site, but including the strum patterns for each song would make it easier, especially for beginners with limited knowledge.

Followup:

When I started to learn a song I printed out the lesson notes and tab. Neither contained the strumming pattern and I did not see a part labeled "strumming" under the video lesson so I assumed it wasn't included. Since then I have looked at some songs and there appears
to be mention of strumming in various parts of the videos, so my confusion. Sorry.....

BigBear

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Don't fall into the trap of "Strumming Patterns". Every song Neil does, if it's a strummer, he shows you the correct "pattern". The reason I say it's a trap is because strumming is about timing and feel. It's not a canned technique that you pull out pattern number 8 and wail away.

Have you gone thru the Acoustic Genius series and The Compleat Rhythm Guitar series yet? Tones of great strumming info there. Rather than strumming patterns, Neil talks about styles that pertain to certain types of music; ballad, rock, country etc. These styles are great starting points but you will quickly develop your own feel.

Much more important at this stage of your development is getting the strumming timing correct. For this, I highly recommend a metronome. They are tough to use at first but after awhile you won't even notice. And don't start at the speed of the song, start much slower, maybe half speed or even less. As you get comfortable increase the speed. This is a big mistake beginners make because they hear the song in their head and they think they need to play at that speed. Slow and steady with good technique.

And then just build your way into the song. Start with a downstroke on every beat of the measure. Then insert an upstroke between the beats. And then and up and down between beats. Then work on skipping a stroke (usually an upstroke) so you don't sound so mechanical. Pretty soon you will be strumming like a pro.

Bottom line, don't overthink strumming. Strumming must become natural and based on the feel of the song and your intertretation of playing it.

Good luck and I'm certain it will become natural to you very soon.

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 pm

rd44 wrote:
I am a beginner working with the lessons. Strumming is emphasized throughout by Neil, however on some song lessons you have to figure it out by yourself. At this point I don't have the skill or time to work it out. Each song should have a recommended strum pattern with it. This is a great site, but including the strum patterns for each song would make it easier, especially for beginners with limited knowledge.

Hello,maybe you can tell witch song you have trouble with,,i understand what you mean by saying i don't have the skill to figure it out by my self,,i think you wanna play a song were Neil left us a puzlle,,and like bear said,,go thru the compleat rhytmn guitarist lesson from the beginning,this makes a lot clear,,,

lueders

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the reply and the advice. What I was really asking for was to include a part on each song lesson devoted solely to strumming for that song. You know the dudu... with the counting. The strum is what makes you remember the song.

I retired recently and have always wanted to learn the guitar for a hobby. My problem is
I feel I have no musical talent what so ever. Starting the learning process at age 65 is not easy. I am using this web site as my only source of instruction and have really been impressed by it. It seems to cover everything one needs to know to become a good player if you practice what it is teaching. I am now working on the strumming practice exercises which you could spend many hours on them alone. I try to throw in a simple song to learn as well. After all learning to play songs is why we want to learn the guitar.

Roy

Lavallee

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Roy which song in particular were you looking for the rhythm?

Marc

suziko

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Roy,

I know where you're coming from. When I first started, I would get frustrated when I'd look up tab on the internet because only very rarely did people recommend a strumming pattern. I know that we should "figure it out for ourselves" but when you first start it all seems so overwhelming that trying to figure out how to strum is just too much.

My experience is that Neil almost always recommends some kind of strumming pattern in his strum-based songs. Usually it's a variant on D dududu or d du udu or B d b udu. But if for some reason you're working on a particular song and you're unsure what pattern to use (either because Neil doesn't say or you just aren't sure), I'd highly recommend that you post a question in the forum. Most likely one of us will have worked through the song and will be able to help you out. Everyone here is very willing to help out beginners.

Lastly, just let me say that you've come to the right place. When I first joined TG I really was a beginning guitarist, but I've made a lot of improvement since I joined, thanks to the excellent lessons and all the advice from my fellow Target members.

best regards, Suzi

suziko

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Thank for the reply. I will try the Rhythm Guitar Lessons and see if it helps. I have gone thru the basic beginner lessons and strumming vol 1 and am now working on the practice lessons for vol 1. Also, I will stay with the campfire songs for now and level 1 or 2 songs. I was over my head on some of the higher rated songs.

AndyT

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Here Roy,

Check out these two discussions.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/36- ... erns#42211

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/36- ... erns#42211

They will help you understand how strumming patterns work.

AndyT

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks, looks like it would make a good standard method for strumming.

AndyT

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Sorry Roy, I gave you the same link twice. Here is the second one.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/11- ... m-patterns

I hope it helps you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic