thinking about signing up for target

Feel free to get outside the box here.
fortdick

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I have played guitar all my life. I think, over 40 years, I have take four lessons, everything else is self taught. I know the basics of theory and play most major, minor, seventh chords, etc.

Looking at some of the material here, beginning level is not for me, but some of the intermediate material talks about theory stuff that I don't know.

Can target help me fill in those holes yet not bore me with basic stuff? I guess what I am asking is can someone like me fit into the program once my level is determined without having to start at the beginning?

With the little bit of the songs I have seen I don't believe level 5 or 6 would be too difficult for me, but I don't know.

Any advice helps.

dan

PS: Fort Dick is the town I live in. Used to be Fort Richard but I guess the locals felt that was too pretentious. :blink:

tovo

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Dan,

Without any shadow of a doubt the program will benefit you. There are plenty of challenging tunes and plenty of theory that is well beyond beginner level. I think it would be fair to say that few people here would be prepared to describe themselves as advanced players, but we have some very good players who are very active. I have been a member here for some time, and I've never heard a single person say that the material is too basic. I would also reinforce that there is a LOT of material, a good deal of it that is beyond beginner level.

suziko

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Agreed completely. And after seeing the recent lesson on Pachelbel's Canon, I think that even a very advanced player could find things here to benefit them.

I think a large chunk of the active Target members are intermediate players, and most of us find our biggest challenge is fitting in all the things at TG that we want to learn.

I've never once regretted joining the Target program. I can't even begin to tell you how much progress I've made since joining last September.

Lavallee

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi Dan, I am sure you will have plenty of challenge here. There is on thing as to play a song and make it sound OK and pay attention to the details that make the song sounds fantastic (like Neil makes them sound).

The songs that are 5 and 6 which you feel comfortable with will become a challenge. Those details and techniques will then be transfer to other songs. There is a good variety of songs as well and every now and then you could have a peek at the theory section. Plus you can post your own video playing other stuff , if you want, and interest everybody with it. There is a constant flow of information that will keep you busy. Lately there has a been a new lesson almost every day.

Hope you will join

Marc

buddy

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm

BobR

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Dan,

All I can do is echo what everyone else has said here. There is always something new to learn. I think you would really enjoy your time here.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 am

Dan, you may well get more out of TARGET than a beginner because you already have so many years of playing behind you. Certainly you'll benefit from the in-depth theory lessons and from so many of the song lessons. There is so much material here. I think you'll have a ball.

haoli25

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Dan, I hope you decide to give the TARGET program a try. For most of us its the best money we have ever spent on guitar instruction. Hector Garcia's latest lesson, Canon in D, will surely give your fingers a workout, even if you have been playing for many years. And new songs like Zep's "The Ocean" are just fun to learn. The guitar theory and explanations of theories are unlike anything you will find on the internet. If you put in the practice, the TARGET program will make you a better guitar player.

Bill

willem

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 pm

how many response you want to get to believe it can fill your holes,,i know self thaught is great thing,,but i don't know witch way you play,,,fingerpickin,,strumming,,ets we have a nice lesson (''more then words'',,Exstreme) and that have a great technic of guitar playing,,i'm not sure what you looking for but you want regret it,,

fortdick

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that I can get out of target what I put into it. Y'all have helped a lot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic