Removing songs from "Recommend a Lesson"

Feel free to get outside the box here.
buddy

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 am

To avoid having songs that sit forever with only a few votes, why not remove those songs if they don't receive a certain number of votes say within 30 days. For example songs with less than 10 votes are dropped from the list after 30 days. This would keep the recommended list from getting so cluttered.

TGMatt

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 am

The way the list works is it is unlimited in length..the top 100 show only, as we make a lesson we remove it..

All recommended lessons need to stay so that when a new person comes on board they can check to see if it has been loaded or not..

Also this is a guide only, we have done lessons in the past with far fewer votes (this weeks Paul Simon Lessons for instance) or in fact no votes at all, in some cases..

The list auto corrects for votes, so not sure where you see the "cluttered" part, but perhaps you can explain that a little more to me

We are also making a few changes to the search features on this and the way in which you recommend something so it can be autodetected on the new site launch.

Hope that helps some

Cheers

Matt

TGMatt

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Currently there are 14 pages of recommended lessons. It takes considerable time to go thru them all especially if your line speed is not the greatest. I would say that songs that on the list for 6 months and have less than 5 votes, no one really cares about. How about leaving the 1st 30 days in the order entered then sort everything else in descending order based on votes.

TGMatt

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:07 pm

That is why we have the search feature..which we are improving on the next upgrade..so search first then upload ..

leeson

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I agree. That also would make it easier for some that have been neglected for a while to either rise or disappear.

lueders

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello Matt,

Hey, not sure if this the right thread to put this and you're a busy fella so I won't waste too much of your time with this minor thing..but I noticed there are a two or three tunes that we have doubled up on in the "Recommend A Lesson." I think the whole search to see if the song has already been requested process works well. Somehow though a couple duplicates slipped through. Two that I know we doubled up on are: Bohemian Rhapsody: 13 votes & then Bohemian Rhapsody: 1 vote then also Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah" is requested but Neil provided Buckley's version under the Cohen lesson.

I just brings this up because it sorta invalidates the number of votes for a given song a bit. Don't even know if that is a big deal, but just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Thanks Matt

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 pm

lueders wrote:
Hello Matt,

Hey, not sure if this the right thread to put this and you're a busy fella so I won't waste too much of your time with this minor thing..but I noticed there are a two or three tunes that we have doubled up on in the "Recommend A Lesson." I think the whole search to see if the song has already been requested process works well. Somehow though a couple duplicates slipped through. Two that I know we doubled up on are: Bohemian Rhapsody: 13 votes & then Bohemian Rhapsody: 1 vote then also Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah" is requested but Neil provided Buckley's version under the Cohen lesson.

I just brings this up because it sorta invalidates the number of votes for a given song a bit. Don't even know if that is a big deal, but just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Thanks Matt
I've noted the same thing, but the search obviously didn't work cos someone can't spell e.g. Cavatina and Cavantina same song but two posts, combined votes would shunt this well up the list. So not really a search issue as such.

TGMatt

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Its never going to be perfect because of these naming convention challenges..but the new feature we are adding should go some way to resolving..

Best way to deal with current issues is to list them in a nice clear linear way into service so that we can combine and reduce ..

Thx all

leeson

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:16 am

I don't think the double entries, as annoying as they may be, have much of an effect on the number of votes because anyone who votes for one of them will likely vote for the other. So I don't think that, say they each had 10 votes, if there were only one entry it would have 20 votes. Much more likely to still only have 10 votes. :huh:

Bill

leeson

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 pm

I say, if a song does not have 10 votes within a month it gets deleted. :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic