Finger Picking Exercises?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
nikonerik

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post.

I did a search or two and I couldn't find any reference to Finger Picking Exercises. Maybe it's my choice of words . . . I don't know.

I'm essentially learning finger picking style by slowly practicing 4+20 measure by measure. The trouble I'm having is that I don't think I'm smooth enough when I finish the measure and the pattern starts again, or makes a change.

I'm thinking a good couple of exercises would do the trick!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lavallee

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi Niko, welcome to the site from Montreal , Canada. I have not worked on 4+ 20 but it is a Travis picking pattern similar to dust in the wind. I am sure that some of the players that have work on it will jump in.

The only way to go through it, is to do the pattern very slowly until your brain does not question your fingers.

There is a lesson given by Hector Garcia (exercise from Mauro Giuliani for the right hand)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... nd-studies

Each exercise has a different pattern but also has 2 chords . So one pattern that you have to alternate between 2 chords. Which is practicing what you were asking. I am doing the 14 exercises every day, and I guaranty you that it will help your finger picking. In no time you will find Travis picking becoming easier as each exercise emphasize finger independence (meaning that your right hand will adapt easily to different patterns).

Marc

nikonerik

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Lavallee wrote:
There is a lesson given by Hector Garcia (exercise from Mauro Giuliani for the right hand)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... nd-studies

Each exercise has a different pattern but also has 2 chords . So one pattern that you have to alternate between 2 chords. Which is practicing what you were asking. I am doing the 14 exercises every day, and I guaranty you that it will help your finger picking. In no time you will find Travis picking becoming easier as each exercise emphasize finger independence (meaning that your right hand will adapt easily to different patterns).

Marc
Thank you! I just watched the Intro video and this seems to be exactly that kind of thing I was looking for.

wiley

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 am

juanlla

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Niko,
As Wiley mention's you'll find the technique lessons hidden in the Song's lessons.
I also suggest you take a look at "Is There Anybody Out There?" or "Blackbird".

Travis picking technique is addressed in this lessons and they are fun to play.

Juan

nikonerik

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Thank you. I'll have a look at those songs . . . The Pink Floyd one is a good suggestion! In fact, I'll add Wot's Uh The Deal to your list . . .

jayswett

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:38 am

Not sure how far along you are with your fingerpicking development, but you might also take a look at the Pancho and Lefty lesson. I'm sure you are aware of the student videos that are posted from time to time. I'd love to see you play 4+20 when you are far enough along to give it a try.

suziko

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:15 am

Somehow I missed these exercises when they were first posted. Thanks, Marc, for bringing them to our attention. They're great! I'm definitely going to incoporate them into my practice routine.

cslarsen

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Any basic book on classical technique, but as noted above, will apply to any style of playing(such as "Pumping Nylon" by Scott Tennant or "The Christopher Parkening Classical Technique, vol I and II, to name just two). They give not only exercises, but explain well the whys and hows of good right hand technique for the best sound production and the learning of thumb and finger independence. They emphasize:1)the importance of a good wrist position (basically straight); the angle that the fingers should rest and attack the strings;3)that the fulcrum for the best sound is the knuckle, not the other smaller finger joints; exercises to develop finger independence and;4)the follow-through of the fingers into the palm of the hand or toward the right shoulder, depending on who you read.
I like the explanations rather than just doing the exercises, because the understanding helps you correct mistakes and bad habits that we all, despite our best efforts fall into. Hope this is not redundant. Best of luck

cslarsen

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Any basic book on classical technique, but as noted above, will apply to any style of playing(such as "Pumping Nylon" by Scott Tennant or "The Christopher Parkening Classical Technique, vol I and II, to name just two). They give not only exercises, but explain well the whys and hows of good right hand technique for the best sound production and the learning of thumb and finger independence. They emphasize:1)the importance of a good wrist position (basically straight); the angle that the fingers should rest and attack the strings;3)that the fulcrum for the best sound is the knuckle, not the other smaller finger joints; exercises to develop finger independence and;4)the follow-through of the fingers into the palm of the hand or toward the right shoulder, depending on who you read.
I like the explanations rather than just doing the exercises, because the understanding helps you correct mistakes and bad habits that we all, despite our best efforts fall into. Hope this is not redundant. Best of luck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic