Video update to existing thread

Feel free to get outside the box here.
bobilly

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

From my limited time with TG, it appears that when you submit or upload a new update on your lesson progress it creates an entirely new thread. If technically possible, I would like to be able to add my latest version of my lesson progress to the first video thread that is started when I first upload a video. It is hard to keep track of everyones progress on any given lesson. I sort of accomplish this by going to the earlier video thread and opening the EDIT and cut and paste the YouTube URL into the more recent thread. On the TG video uploader if it were possible to have something that would query to add to a specific thread.

tovo

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Wally. There is a potential disadvantage in adding an updated video to your existing thread on the same tune rather than starting a new thread, and that is simply that it gets missed completely. Once people have commented on your video they may not go back and look again and as a result may not realize you have updated it.

Music Junkie

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm

tovo wrote:
Hi Wally. There is a potential disadvantage in adding an updated video to your existing thread on the same tune rather than starting a new thread, and that is simply that it gets missed completely. Once people have commented on your video they may not go back and look again and as a result may not realize you have updated it.
I'll echo this statement. Tony brings up a good point here. I know I am bad about going back at times. If you submit as an update then it will be fairly obvious and easy to follow.

J

cosmicmechanic

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Last time I uploaded a video was months ago using the previous approach, which was less automated, so I hope the following suggestion isn't too ignorant.

I see that video threads are now identified by a standard title format, without the need for us to tinker with setting up the thread and the display of the video in the first post of the thread.

Would it be possible to permit adding a more recent video to the first post of the original thread, below the previous version, and also update the title with a version number?

And of course, a bump of the thread to the priority of a new upload.

The first post of a single thread could then accumulate successive versions, and each upload would be seen as a new post.

But would this make the comments less readable, harder to navigate?
It would have to be clear which version the comments were directed at.
Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

And I'd like anchovies, lotsa hot peppers too, please.

jayswett

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:26 am

Music Junkie wrote:
tovo wrote:
I'll echo this statement. Tony brings up a good point here. I know I am bad about going back at times. If you submit as an update then it will be fairly obvious and easy to follow.

J
If the current process remains the same, I understand the advantage of progress updates appearing in a new thread. Thanks.

jayswett

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Last time I uploaded a video was months ago using the previous approach, which was less automated, so I hope the following suggestion isn't too ignorant.

I see that video threads are now identified by a standard title format, without the need for us to tinker with setting up the thread and the display of the video in the first post of the thread.

Would it be possible to permit adding a more recent video to the first post of the original thread, below the previous version, and also update the title with a version number?

And of course, a bump of the thread to the priority of a new upload.

The first post of a single thread could then accumulate successive versions, and each upload would be seen as a new post.

But would this make the comments less readable, harder to navigate?
It would have to be clear which version the comments were directed at.
Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

And I'd like anchovies, lotsa hot peppers too, please.
I think you got what I was driving at. And extra garlic, too!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic