What exactly is T.A.R.G.E.T.?

Feel free to get outside the box here.
the_muffin_man

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 am

Hey everyone! Very new to the site, I just signed up a few minutes ago. So far T.A.R.G.E.T. has been alluded to about 7,000 times. What is it exactly???? Is it another aspect of this site that provides more information? Why should I join? I'm 37 and have finally decided to dedicate myself to playing. I have always noodled around on the guitar but now I really want to be serious about it. I consider myself to be well beyond beginner but not advanced. I definitely have goals in mind with playing. Would I be able to achieve them just by using the TotallyGuitar site? Or does TARGET provide some sort of information that would help me attain my goals faster? I'd like to understand more theory, scales, chord progressions,etc.
If you haven't guessed by my name, I'm a HUGE Frank Zappa fan. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to play some of his songs. Realistically, I think I can attain these goals. I have a good ear and I'm very eager to learn and practice. Does TARGET offer a wealth of additional information ? Is it just another monthly expense I'll incur because I was foolish enough to think I could vastly improve my knowledge and skill with anything other than practice and dedication? I've watched the introduction video, but I feel like I won't find out what EXACTLY it is until I've paid for it.
Thanks!!!
- Geoff

Lavallee

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Geoff, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada (presently in San Antonio TX). The reason why you read so much about Target is because the is so much to learn. You mentioned theory: there are sections on the modes, the scales (pentatonic, minor, major) a blues section, how to make your own fingerpicking arrangement from songs you know, a strumming section, how chords are constructed, a spalying partner from a variety of chord progressions. It starts with a beginner course on theory.

REgarding the song lessons, there are about 90 artists that are covered with some that have many of there songs covered (like Neil youg has 10 songs, the Beatles 16, pink flyd 10, etc..). Most of the songs are covered with muliple videos from play through , the theory, a view of the left hand, then the right hand, chords by chords, a play along at slow speed. Some others that are simpler only have a single video but the song is covered.

Each songs is selected because it brings a technical aspect that we can learn, which can be applied to other songs.

There are some singing lessons as well and some classical guitar lessons with Hector

I have joined at the beginning, about a year and a few months and I have always enjoy the content. It is very difficult to keep up with all the lessons as they are presenting new ones every week, which is a problem I really like.

Hope you will join, as this a great way to have a teacher handy whenever you need it. The site will make your guitar journey exciting

You migth want to look at this example of a Target lessons (which are often more alaborate than this one):

http://www.totallyguitars.com/partial-g ... it-be#song

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:17 pm

I just sent you an E-Mail reply. Look at the top of this page you should see that you have an E-Mail waiting for you.

Marc

TGMatt

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Target is everything..access to everything..

Since it is an evolving and growing program it is difficult to give you a list of what is in it as we add lessons daily..

But here is a series of videos that will give you a little idea..(although already I see some of it is missing some new components)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/play/

And here is the shorter video on the order page that may help

http://www.totallyguitars.com/amember/signup_target.php

Since we are here to serve our members they are often the best source of feedback on Target..

I will say that we are about to do some very special things on top of what we already do for our Loyal Target members and so hope you can join us for that..

Ask any questions you like I am sure all the goodly folk here will respond..(oh and thx Marc for answering so quickly from your perspective)

Cheers

Matt

TGMatt

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

It is kinda funny in a way, we took the old sales letter down as it did no reflect what we really wanted to say, replaced that with a series of videos, for a place holder, the Target program keeps expanding so much , hard to keep it up to date..and next two weeks it will be changed again..

So can anyone here help us articulate what Target means for them ??..

What is it you see as features, benefits, and how that has helped you..Perhaps a little on the value side..

I will be getting a round to replacing our "sales page" soon, so your thoughts and ideas from current Target members will be most welcome..

We have been focusing so much on the content and "secret" projects that we have neglected the sales side somewhat

Thx Target folk..

tovo

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Muffin Man...I like that.

Anyway, Marc answered really well. Quite simply if you decide that around 20 bucks per month is too much money then you are missing out big time. I noticed recently that a competitor's site is offering 30 minute lessons by Skype for $25.00. Here on Total Guitars you have many, many hours of instruction for about that price per month. They are always available 24/7 and personally I can't even keep up with all the tunes I want to learn, let along the hours and hours of guitar theory lessons available. There are personal reviews of your video uploads by a brilliant guitarist (that's Neil in case you wonder) which are worth the cost of membership alone in my opinion.

I don't think that TG is as good as face to face instruction....I think it's much better. That's because no matter how good the teacher you sit with is, after he has given you 30 minutes or 1 hour of instruction (and taken your 30-50 bucks or more) then you are on your own until the next time. Here at TG you can go over the lesson again and again until you have it, and you can get support from the community when you can't figure something out.

I think one of the most powerful advertisements for the program is to look at the progress of several of the members over the past 12 months. You asked if it is possible to achieve your guitar goals using only this site. Now I don't really know what your goal is, but I do know that this site has every resource you need to improve your playing at an accelerated rate, provided of course you are prepared to put in the work. There are several concrete examples here in the form of members who have improved their playing so much in the last 12 months it's amazing. I doubt you will find a single member who doesn't think that their playing is better as a result of the resources here.

Every so often a person comes along and complains about a particular song not being available as a lesson. Apart from the fact that it's pretty difficult to cater to every member's personal favorite tune, that's not the aim. Neil teaches every technique needed to play any tune. He provides the tools and you apply them to learning. So if you have your heart set on playing just 1 particular tune and think that if you don't find it on TG then the site isn't what you want, then you may well be disappointed but you have missed the point of the program badly. Besides, you can request that favorite tune for a lesson and if Neil sees value in it as a teaching aid he might make it so.

Good luck.

RicksPick

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Geoff

Target is : something that has turned people from bits n pieces players into people who play whole songs, it gives you inspiration and confidence, It has even produced performances that would'nt be out of place on stage.
People going from hiding there face(close up on Guitar) - to singing loud and proud whilst triping the light fantastic on the fingerboard.

Value/price thats a no brainer, 1/3 the cost of one local teacher ( 1 hour ) per month,
once you left the lesson how much do you remember? all the little nuonces??. here it is 24/7.

Of course it's up to you how dedicated you are, but we all started with the same questions whats special here, well one answer is Neil, he is the real deal, if Heineken made guitar teachers.....lol

There's theory every where,with tonnes arriving all the time I havent studied the dedicated theory lessons here but I amaze myself with what I have picked up from the song lessons

Oh It also gives you a place to show your stuff with people in the same situation without being ridiculed, part of the value is, it's like playing with friends, every one gets respect (core philosophy:)driven by Matt, thanks to his strength). Even my singing which is real bad(real bad) didnt get stomped on.lol

Infact it is so big, complicated, concise, complete but always expanding. that its like one of those questions like,,, whats the meaning to life,,, there is no one simple answer, just to say very member is mad about it.

RicksPick
Welcome to the site

TGMatt

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Thx guys for your thoughts..keep em coming everyone cannot wait for Willems version , but lets make this a running thread we can point to folk, but in your words rather than Neil's and mine...

Thx again

the_muffin_man

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Well said, tovo. That's more like what I was looking for.
I guess maybe by describing what I want from a site like this may help me get the answer to my question and may, ultimately, sway my decision to subscribe.
I would like to learn, learn, learn...and then learn more. I would like a forum in which to discuss theory and why I need to learn umpteen scales and modes. Some tips and advice on building speed and accuracy (especially in bending...I love david gilmour's stuff). How do I apply what I've learned in order to improvise so I don't get pigeon-holed into a "pentatonic box." I find myself in that as we speak...however, 2 weeks ago, I couldnt play scale 1, let alone all 5 shapes. *thank you pentatonic boot camp*
Albeit a beautiful medium, the acoustic guitar seems a bit limiting....ergo, how could I play "Eruption" on an acoustic guitar? The pinch harmonics would disappear. Besides, acoustics don't have tremolo systems. Surely, there's value in the styles of; Mr. Randy Rhoads, Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mr. Edward Van Halen, Mr. Jake E.Lee, etc.
I have no problem with due dillegence, I'm very persistent when it comes to finding answers and will exhaust every avenue of practice and scholarship until I feel I've sufficeintly grasped whatever it is I'm trying to learn.
I guess I'm challenging the members and moderators. I believe that by challenging ourselves and others, we push each other to be better.
Also, why don't the members ever post a lesson on a song requested? Wouldn't that expand, even further the knowledge base of this particular type of learning vessel? I mean, after all, "we all live in a yellow submarine."

BigBear

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey Geoff, welcome to Totally Guitars!! We're glad you found us.

Tony, Rick and a few others gave you really good info so I will only add that it is really important that you understand that this is NOT a song or tab site. It is an amazing guitar learning site that uses songs to demonstrate many important techniques and concepts.

It is also not an electric guitar site. It is a total guitar site that teaches nusic to guitar players of all types regardless of whether you are a classical player or a shredder.

This site leans acoustic but there is a ton of stuff for electric players too (and ukulele!). I play both acoustic and electric and my skills with both have skyrocketed since I joined TARGET a year and a half ago.

I think most of my friends on this site will agree with me that the price for the TARGET program is simply the best money you will ever spend on guitar education. Not to mention the forum is pretty cool too for meeting players of like interests.

I really hope you join us. The owners of this site have made it really easy to get out if TARGET isn't for you but I doubt many that have joined have left for anything other than personal economic issues! TARGET is simply that good. It's an embarrassment of riches!

Good luck and Happy Playin' :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic