PLEASE HELP, ELUSIVE STRUMMING PATTERN!!!

Feel free to get outside the box here.
buzz_187

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Can someone puuuhleeeeze help me with this strumming?!?! The song is "So Long, Goodbye" by 10 Years....i got the intro and verse, but the prechorus and chorus strumming is making my hostile over here!!! lol I always have trouble when trying to learn a strumming pattern, with mutes in it, by ear. Im posting a link to the vid on youtube that im watching, and the problem transition is the Am-C**-G progression starting at 1:02 of the vid....please help if you can. Im sure someone will be like, aww this, this is simple, well if so, break it down...i understand ups and downs, like D-DUDU, which is the Am, but anyways sorry if im rambling now, heres the vid link....

[video][/video]

THANKS IN ADVANCE
-BRAD

** - The C is fingered different, its like a half C with only the top 2 fingers, and then the 1st and 2nd strings are even held down at the 3rd fret. Maybe a Cmaj7??[video][/video]

AndyT

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:28 am

The reason you are having trouble figuring out the pattern is because its a 2 measure pattern. He's playing an arpeggio for the first half or 3 beats of the measure and then strumming the 4th beat with the and. (Numbers are downs, Ands are Up) The main strumming section is mostly a simple 4 beat pattern syncopated. Think D UD UD UD and play it twice sort of slow. Emphasize the first and third beats.

Near the end, he plays a very simple 1-3 pattern. First and third beats are emphasized and the rest are mostly skipped.

The C chord is a Cadd9. A fairly simple chord. Make a G and collapse it inward 1 string.

After playing along with him 3 or 4 times, thats what I came up with.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

AndyT

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 am

I knew it didn't sound quite right. I think he's tuned down. Your chords will be;
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

Now I'm getting confused... LOL

buzz_187

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 am

^^^ yeah he is tuned down a half-step, at least thats what all the tabs i can find say, sorry i forgot to mention this in my first post. And it even sounds to me like he is tuned down maybe even a tad bit lower than a half-step.

buzz_187

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:25 am

^^^ yeah he is tuned down a half-step, at least thats what all the tabs i can find say, sorry i forgot to mention this in my first post. And it even sounds to me like he is tuned down maybe even a tad bit lower than a half-step.

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Can we upload video's here? I'm kinda new to the site, but if so, I can show you how to play this!

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Can we upload video's here? I'm kinda new to the site, but if so, I can show you how to play this!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes you can upload videos. Either in" my videos" or aprki it on your youtube account and link the url in the forum post Vanessa.

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yes you can upload videos. Either in" my videos" or aprki it on your youtube account and link the url in the forum post Vanessa.
Dyslexia as well as poor eyesight were getting it all today lol

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm

...seriously, I can't read the screen!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic