lack of student reviews

Feel free to get outside the box here.
cavi

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I have to comment that I feel that more reviews of the student uploads would be one of the greater changes. I understand Niel is busy, however it does seem to me that it would be worth the time to take one morning a week to only do student reviews. I know they are a pain, but I imagine that within a month doing one mrning a week you could be caught up, from there it would be easy to get to all the new ones, as it seems to me that currently they are averaging 5 to 10 a week?
the other idea would be to guaruntee each Target member at least one video review per month. Again, I suggest this as I know some students upload substancially more.
Along with this you could even charge a surcharge for priority reviews above and beyond the one per month?

TGMatt

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Ok.

THis is something that I will comment on again

Firstly we have new responses on there way, we batch them, we cannot set aside time each week, it simply does not work like that..Not for Neil's time nor for the rest of the site development..

In fact our focus changed from 4-6 lessons a month to 20 + with video news and review batches..

Secondly we have never promised a response to every video...it is something we introduced as a bonus feature..it seems some folk assume it is a right..it is never going to be that way..

But again we have more reviews coming very soon..

These reviews take almost an hour in total each review, plus 3 staff to handle and another 1 hour to get them up on the site..

This makes it uneconomical in the extreme to do them at all...

We will never make a guarantee on a review for Target members at a minimum

We will probably never charge for reviews....as again it is completely uneconomical..

A Guitar lesson with a teacher is 40 + bucks..most of you are paying well south of that for many many more features , lessons and the occasional review..a video review that takes us 3 staff and two hours will never be an economical proposition..

So thanks for your post, I hope you understand we are in the middle of a massive upgrade with many benefits coming including content and including a new batch of student reviews..

Cheers

jim56

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks Matt we do appreciate all the time and effort you, Neil and the TG team devote to making this site the best on the net!

Jim

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I think most of us who have been around the site a bit longer are certainly aware that reviews are a bonus and certainly appreciate that service. Those that haven't been 'reviewed' also benefit as has been said numerous times.

from a Happy Camper

Hi De Hi campers!

BigBear

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Cavi-

I'm with Jim and Chas on this one. Video reviews are a real bonus but I never recall a promise to pump them out at the rate we students post them. We have hundreds of members, most of them, except Bill and me, are posting videos. Some post a lot!

And Neil is just one guy reviewing them. That will never equate to Neil reviewing every video posted. The math just won't work. If you need more reviews of your work, hire a teacher! Which isn't a bad idea anyway to augment your TG learning.

For $20 or whatever the Euro equivalent is, this site remains a phenomenal bargain. The original goal was 4-6 songs per month but for the past year Neil and crew (and I emphasize crew because it is obviously a real team effort!) have far exceeded even those lofty goals.

Frankly, and I don't want to piss anyone off, but I'm so buried by all the new songs this year that I really enjoy a little break from new material. That last Simon and Garfunkel section killed me. Everyone except Me and Julio was a great song! Julio can stay in the school yard for all I care! lol!

For my money, this site has so far exceeded my expectations, and I've made so many friends, that I could care less if Neil ever does another Student Review! I remain most grateful for this incredible resource! Thanks again TG team!!

Cheers! :cheer:

TGMatt

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Thx for the support folks..

I can promise you we will be getting to more reviews very very very soon.....Hint..

And we will continue to do them at the pace and context we can.

Hope to surprise you with what is coming too

Thx for the ride and the patience

Lavallee

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 pm

If I am submitting a video , I am happy that my fellow TGers comment. If Neil comments, it is the cherry on the sunday, but I am not waiting for this. The reason I submit video is because it gives me a reason to focus on a given song. Not being part of band where results are important, I like to have some reason to improve on a song. Being a bedroom rocker, there is no feedback . The videos give me a chance to present a song and get some critics to improve, but I do not doing with the expectation of a video from Neil, if it happens, it happens.

Marc

haoli25

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm another very Happy Camper. My membership has got me much, much MORE than I ever expected. Not only the quanity of the material, but with the great quality of the material still amazes me week after week.
The 'Student Reviews' are great, but honestly I only have time to watch very few of them. Like the huge number of songs in the TARGET program, eventually I will get around to watching all of the Student Reviews too.
Like Rick and others have said, I try to concentrate on the songs I am working on, then the TG staff throws in another Hector Garcia, Muriel Anderson, or a Stef lesson into the mix and I am immediately behind schedule again. I do enjoy the "WOW Factor" though.

I plan to be 'camping' here for a very long time.

Bill

tovo

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Lavallee wrote:
If I am submitting a video , I am happy that my fellow TGers comment. If Neil comments, it is the cherry on the sunday, but I am not waiting for this.
I agree with this. Of course it is fantastic when Neil does a review and I value them very highly, but I feel I have gotten as much great help from other members as I have from Neil.

I think it's fairly obvious that Neil isn't sitting around with his feet up relaxing. I can only imagine how much he crams into each day. I'm certain it is appreciated.

buddy

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Ditto what Marc said for me. He put into words exactly what I thinking on this.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic