Chord question, Poker Face

Feel free to get outside the box here.
lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:37 am

This is my first post so Hi Everybody!

I've been practising Chris Daughtry's version of Poker Face, got the picking and most of the chords but there is one chord that baffles me.

When he sings: "I get her hot, tell her what I've got" he seems to slide the C chord up two frets (030450) which is also the chord I have found on a tab webside but to my ears it sounds dreadful :dry:

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Lil

dennisg

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 am

When he slides the C chord up, does he hook his thumb over the low E string?

jim56

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 am

Well I think you mean that it's: x54030

It's a funny sounding chord though, you have to get used to it, it's actually a D-chord with an added 9 and 11. (The first time I heard this chord used in a song was 'Oh me' by Nirvana).

And in this song I really think that's the one!

lil40 wrote:
This is my first post so Hi Everybody!

I've been practising Chris Daughtry's version of Poker Face, got the picking and most of the chords but there is one chord that baffles me.

When he sings: "I get her hot, tell her what I've got" he seems to slide the C chord up two frets (030450) which is also the chord I have found on a tab webside but to my ears it sounds dreadful :dry:

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Lil

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 am

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that it is actually your very first post! :blush:

But of course a big welcome to you and I hope you'll enjoy Totally Guitars!

Did you already introduce yourself? Don't mean to pressure you, just wondering and I'm sure everybody else would be delighted to welcome you!

Anyway, have fun and happy guitarplaying!

Vanessa

MarkM

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 am

Lil welcome. I think you are right that it is 054030. Its the same chord in Neil Youngs Sugar Mountain. Not sure of the name though.

MarkM

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:55 am

Thank you both! Sorry for not introducing myself, didn't know where - have found it now though and will pop straight over B)

I had read it was a D chord but it so doesn't sound good :ohmy: But if it's a proper chord it'll have to do, I'll just sing a bit louder to drown it out :laugh:

THANK YOU!

Lil

PS: Good cover though watcha think?

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Lil

Its definitely:

Standard Tuning, Capo 2nd
Intro/Verse chords used: Em7/C/D

"Oh, Oh, Oh" part is Em/C/054030/back to "C", then back down to 054030

Chorus: Em/C/G/D

Important to capo though!

I think you could call it an Em9(no 5) although I could be wrong as when I capo I get confused lol

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Thank you Chas, why is the capo important though? (Feeling really dumb...)

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:33 pm

lil40 wrote:
To get the key the song is in originally. Em9(no5) could be the name although admittedly I get confused with the capo when I try to work the chords out lol

If you don't capo its in a different key and if you use the same shapes the chords are different names. I think lol

Someone help me out here I'm no great shakes on this theory thin lol

ffsooo3

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
lil40 wrote:
To get the key the song is in originally. Em9(no5) could be the name although admittedly I get confused with the capo when I try to work the chords out lol

If you don't capo its in a different key and if you use the same shapes the chords are different names. I think lol

Someone help me out here I'm no great shakes on this theory thin lol
Chas, If it's an Em9(no5) with out a capo and you then play it relative to a capo on the 2nd fret you are simply playing everything up 1 whole step (2 half steps). So the Em9(no5) is just a Dm9(no5). Likewise a C is actually a D, a G is actually an A, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic