Chord question, Poker Face

Feel free to get outside the box here.
michelew

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:30 pm

I think what Chas means is that with the capo the chord still sóunds like an Em9, it's only not played like one becáuse of the capo and that's what ffsooo3 means. The rule here is to name the chord relative to the capo. And please don't play this chord with the sixth string, it is: x54030!

Dmaj-scale = 1D 2E 3F# 4G 5A 6B 7C# 8D (9 is the same as 2, and 11 is the same as 4)

x = don't play it!
5 = 1 (of the D-major-scale)
4 = 3 (so there is no minor involved)
0 = 4 or 11 for that matter
3 = 1 or 8
0 = 2 or 9

Really fascinating to analyse all this stuff, but if you don't care, forget i said so! ;)

ffsooo3 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
lil40 wrote:
Thank you Chas, why is the capo important though? (Feeling really dumb...)
To get the key the song is in originally. Em9(no5) could be the name although admittedly I get confused with the capo when I try to work the chords out lol

If you don't capo its in a different key and if you use the same shapes the chords are different names. I think lol

Someone help me out here I'm no great shakes on this theory thin lol
Chas, If it's an Em9(no5) with out a capo and you then play it relative to a capo on the 2nd fret you are simply playing everything up 1 whole step (2 half steps). So the Em9(no5) is just a Dm9(no5). Likewise a C is actually a D, a G is actually an A, etc.

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:19 pm

That IS very interesting Vanessa, thanks!

Is it the playing together of the 3rd and 4th and 8th and 9th that makes the chord sound so odd?

Or is it just me and it sound perfectly fine to all of you? :blush:

And why oh why doesn't he choose a more "normal" sounding chord???

Questions questions... Thank you for all your answers though guys!!

tovo

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Yep you got it exáctly! And no, like I said, it sounded strange to me as well in the beginning....and why....haha, well it gives more tension to the chord, and for that it sounds more interesting. In jazz-music, they do this áll the time!! For instance in popmusic, we do use the dominant 7 a lot for the same reason, and we also use the sus2 and sus4 or a maj7 frequently, but you can intensify that tension much more so. So this chord is not thát common in popmusic, but it does occur...like the Beatles, they experienced a lot with all kinds of chords, that's why their music is so interesting!

Anyway, fire away with questions, if I can I'll definitely get back to you! ;)

Vanessa

lil40 wrote:
That IS very interesting Vanessa, thanks!

Is it the playing together of the 3rd and 4th and 8th and 9th that makes the chord sound so odd?

Or is it just me and it sound perfectly fine to all of you? :blush:

And why oh why doesn't he choose a more "normal" sounding chord???

Questions questions... Thank you for all your answers though guys!!

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 am

dennisg wrote:
When he slides the C chord up, does he hook his thumb over the low E string?
Den , I am thinking he mutes the string.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic