Nani,,Izzy,Susy,Shell,,Lisa,,Tammy,,Nesh,,(have we more? sorry)

Feel free to get outside the box here.
willem

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Hello,,i was wondering were songs taste goes to,,i mean,,for a sample,,''I love her''',many songs are sung to a woman,, or do you change lyrics and sing ''í love him'',,well hope you get my drift,,,were goes your taste or choice as a woman and then to the love songs..or such..

suziko

Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Willem- good question! Personally, I tend not to change lyrics when I sing. I don't really like changing "her" to "him" (for example, if I sing Norwegian Wood, I just sing it as written). To me, hearing pronouns changed in a well-known song sounds more jarring than having a woman sing about a woman that they love. Though some songs just wouldn't sound right, or it's hard to imagine them sounding right, if a woman sang them. For example, Bruce Springsteen's The River.... it's a song I love, but not one I could ever imagine performing for people because it just so clearly comes from a guy's point of view.

AndyT

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I change them Especially when Helen Reddy comes into the conversation.

michelew

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm

AndyT wrote:
And yet Andy, replacing 'woman' with 'man', 'bloke', 'dude', 'a fella', 'a guy' or any other form of male defeats the purpose of the whole song as it is sung from a woman's perspective and is about women standing up for themselves and fighting for equality. You've just proven Suzi's point very well.

Sometimes I change pronouns, it depends on the song and the circumstances. Love songs are a different challenge for me. I can sing 'I love her' til the cows come home, which is a long time since there aren't and in my part of Sydney. But for a song like 'Yesterday', the problem for me is not 'why she had to go' (I can sing that from experience), it's 'I'm not half the man I used to be'. Never having been one, well I have a problem relating to it. Replacing it with 'woman' or 'gal' doesn't really work and leaving it as 'man' potentially has people wondering 'does she really want to be a man?' (a definitive 'no' in case you're wondering).

Like Suzi, I tend to avoid songs written from a man's perspective and about men's issues and the things that come with being a man. Having said that I still like and sing a lot of songs sung by and about men.

So it depends.

Interesting question Willem. And we have more woman on TG (e.g. Barbara) they're just a bit more reserved than those of us in the thread title or not vocal at the moment.

Michele

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Hmm interesting topic, personally I would never change any song due to gender differences. That can be insult to the artist in my opinion and can change the entire meaning of a song. However, I have dabbled with changing songs to fit an occasion, but then the amount of change is usually so significant and mostly obvious as to why its been done i don't think that's a problem.

Most tunes I play its cos I like the music not necessarily the lyrics, so it doesn't worry me if its females song or a guys song.

haoli25

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:22 pm

AndyT wrote:

"I Am MAN"???????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lavallee

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Well Willem, I think I'll go with Suzi and Michele.....usually I do not change it, or I play it when I'm by myself..

As for your example, 'And I love her', well what can you do?! Changing it just doesn't sound right, but I wouldn't perform this in front of people when I'm playing and singing alone. But if someone asks for such a song on an occasion, when you're playing like there is a campfire, surrounded by friends and all and everybody's singing along, then I just play and sing it the way it is and actually nobody is very much aware of it, I think they wóuld be if I'd change it, so I don't! ;)

But on the other hand, for instance, 'Always' by Bonjovi, he sings 'I'm just a man', well thát feels kinda weird, I'm not sure what I do then, haha, swallow the word or something! :laugh: He does that a lot in his songs, wich annoys me, cause I like playing and singing his songs very much...I guess sometimes you need to improvise.. :)

haoli25

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:27 pm

I have to admit that I don't know what you mean :blush: ? Who is Helen Reddy and what about her? :huh:

AndyT wrote:

michelew

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Nesh,

Andy is referring to the song 'I Am Woman'. Here are the lyrics.

I Am Woman - Helen Reddy

I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

CHORUS

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong

FADE
I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman

haoli25

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:42 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
I have to admit that I don't know what you mean :blush: ? Who is Helen Reddy and what about her? :huh:

Here you go, Vanessa. :)

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic